R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-25-2019, 10:22 AM   #1
ericsbestshot
Private
Rep
Drives: none

Moving to Japan and taking my US-spec M4 - What do I need know?

hey guys, like the title states im moving to japan. I currently have a lovely YAS M4. And plan on importing it to japan. The company i work for will ship the car for me and cover import fees. But i'll have to cover what ever it takes to get it registered.

I'm aware that they drive on the opposite side of the road so headlights may have to be adjusted, but is there anything else i should be aware of?

Anyone ever ship a car to japan, or have to deal with the registration process in japan?

And yes I know the popular idea is to sell it and buy something cheap while im there.
Appreciate 1
hoyas490131.50
      06-25-2019, 10:55 AM   #2
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F80 - ZCP 6MT

I also don't have any advice on the registration...

Japan is awesome, the cities feel like 20y into the future and the country side takes you 40y back. The food is great. The culture of cleanliness, respect for others, etc. Crazy fun car culture too. Please go to Suzuka for a track day and send pics . Bonus points for taking 130R without lifting

And if you like pastries please hit all the basements of the malls in Tokyo.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2019, 11:22 AM   #3
ericsbestshot
Private
Rep

not my first time visiting japan. but it will be my first living there. I definitely love the culture. The language barrier is super difficult at times (thank god for google translate), but everyone is so nice trying to help you out.

Thanks for the advice on a few things do. I really wanna take the m4 out into the country and mountains and do some exploring.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 11:40 AM   #4
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Welcome to Japan.

Both of my cars are LHD because I prefer the car the way it was designed. There are a few US spec cars (E46 M3 for example) that came to Japan with the owner and was domestically sold so I imagine it isn't too strict.

The only thing you will need is a parking lot registration document (車庫証明)meaning you rent a designated parking space (unless your house or company gives it out). I strongly suggest getting underground or at least one with roof because weather can get very hot. I should note that Japan is a disaster-prone country so you may want to find one with a disaster insurance(災害保険).
      06-25-2019, 11:52 AM   #5
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

#tokyodrift
      06-25-2019, 12:01 PM   #6
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Sounds like a fun venture.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 12:08 PM   #7
oneknightr
Private
Rep
Drives: '16 SO M4 Vert

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
I should note that Japan is a disaster-prone country so you may want to find one with a disaster insurance(災害保険).
When I read this sentence, all I could think of was Godzilla!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
kyrix1st2373.50
      06-25-2019, 01:17 PM   #8
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsbestshot View Post
hey guys, like the title states im moving to japan. I currently have a lovely YAS M4. And plan on importing it to japan. The company i work for will ship the car for me and cover import fees. But i'll have to cover what ever it takes to get it registered.

I'm aware that they drive on the opposite side of the road so headlights may have to be adjusted, but is there anything else i should be aware of?

Anyone ever ship a car to japan, or have to deal with the registration process in japan?

And yes I know the popular idea is to sell it and buy something cheap while im there.
You will need to replace headlights....not adjust.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 06:19 PM   #9
WESTCOASTTRADING
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M3 Coupe

just dont be so shock at gas prices.
Japan is beautiful country... Enjoy it.
Gosh i Miss Tokyo
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 10:42 PM   #10
ericsbestshot
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
You will need to replace headlights....not adjust.
replace? sounds expensive. but reading around the forums i've heard its just about adjusting them and turning off the auto leveling. also something about flat beam technology?

Last edited by ericsbestshot; 06-25-2019 at 10:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 07:49 AM   #11
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknightr View Post
When I read this sentence, all I could think of was Godzilla!
Godzilla is a Japanese personification of natural disaster, so you are spot on.
      06-26-2019, 05:39 PM   #12
Keebin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3

you are living my dream i just got back from japan and all i could say is i wish i could have shipped my car to Tokyo for the few weeks while i was staying. please for M sake keep us updated with what its like to do this!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 09:44 AM   #13
KM_YMB_M4_Vert
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 YMB F83 MT

Quote:

I have looked into doing this few years back, but best to find someone who can do all the work for you.
Some info here in English.
https://www.japan-guide.com/forum/qu....html?0+120860

Few things I know.
- LHD is no problem in Japan legally, it is just getting used to driving on left side of the road

- Headlight may need some modification, but I think newer BMWs have relatively flat light beam, which may be able to get away with it, from some info on UK-Europe discussions here = https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1267880

- If you have US spec taillights with red turn signals, this will need to be changed to amber like EU spec. I swapped it out on my '18 F83. Bought off ebay for $1000, sold the old unit for $500, so it wasn't much of a cost, and the DIY swap was pretty easy.

- Emission/Noise should be fine, as M4s are sold in Japan as well.

- Cost will be dependent on who would handle the shipping/registration, and where you are. Typically it would be land-shipped to West coast, then will be on ferry to Japan, where they would pick up, do import/registration paperwork for you. Roughly, you would probably be looking at $10-15K total.
( I imported Boxster from Ohio to Tokyo back in 2008, and it cost me $10K)

- Decent CPO '18 F82s are sold around $70-80K used in Japan, so you may want to consider shipping vs buying, especially if you plan to go back to US in a few years. Cars imported personally will probably not have BMW warranty applied, and will not have good resell price in Japan if you try to sell then.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 09:53 AM   #14
TheDailyDriven
Co-Founder BMW INVASION
Rep
Drives: 2022 Imola Red II G80 M3

Congrats on the move! Haven't been to Japan yet but currently planning a trip in 2020. Keep us posted !

YouTube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/c/TheDailyDriven/featured
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 02:48 PM   #15
sprokai
Lurker
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP 6MT LSB

Quote:
not my first time visiting japan. but it will be my first living there. I definitely love the culture. The language barrier is super difficult at times (thank god for google translate), but everyone is so nice trying to help you out.

Thanks for the advice on a few things do. I really wanna take the m4 out into the country and mountains and do some exploring.
I highly recommend, at your earliest convenience, plan a weekend road trip to Izu Hanto. It's only a couple of hours from Tokyo (assuming that's where your moving to) and has many amazing twisty mountain roads to explore. Get a room in one of the awesome Onsen there and you'll never want to leave.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 02:53 PM   #16
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:

don't leave your chopsticks standing upright in a bowl of rice.

it is considered offensive (its what one does a funerals)

06-29-2019, 03:57 PM   #17
ericsbestshot
Private
Rep

thanks for the advice guys. Makes a good opportinity to upgrade to the euro lci tail lights.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 10:21 AM   #18
Spiderv6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3MC, 911.1 4S

Quote:
thanks for the advice guys. Makes a good opportinity to upgrade to the euro lci tail lights.
Don’t under estimate the pain, annoyance and danger of having the steering wheel on the wrong side.

You may think “it’ll be fine” but be very sure.

Been there, done that, wouldn’t do it again.
Appreciate 1
c12h231.00