BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-30-2019, 09:38 AM   #1
eggyacid
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Software updates? Fee?

Dropped my 2014 X5 F15 off at dealer for oil change and other maintenance items. I asked the advisor about software updates to my iDrive since the one on BMW website is old and the only way to update was thru them. He told me that would cost $185 for diagnostic (drop connection sometimes) and if necessary, they will update the software

Also mention the new istepper software (I think that's what it's called) and he said the same thing... all of them are cost and not included even under CPO warranty. It's only covered under standard manufacture warranty.

Similar elsewhere? I'm about done with this dealership, I will drive 50 miles out for the next dealer

Current Ride
- 2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
- 2014 X5 xDrive35 M
- 2013 ML-350 (Gone)
- 2012 Audi Q7 TDI (Gone)
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 09:43 AM   #2
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Really depends on the dealer I think. It does take a little extra time to hook up the computer to do all the updates versus just doing all the maintenance items. Usually they don't update the software unless there is something wrong. Even with the latest iDrive updates it will still look the same and if you have problems charging a new iPhone that requires a hardware fix not a software update.

Usually it's best to pretend you don't know anything... for example complain about the iDrive showing no signal all the time and then ask if there a way to reset the software in it or something like that. I mean if you try that now it probably won't work since they know what you want.

It always helps to have a good relationship with a service adviser.
      07-30-2019, 03:31 PM   #3
eggyacid
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

I connect my iPhone directly to the USB port for music because bluetooth always has a delay but since April of this year, I had problem where after a while... it would disconnect my iPhone USB and showed nothing connected. I would have to re-boot the car to get that functionally back, again not all the time... very intermittent.

I explained to the advisor and he said it would cost $185 for diagnostic just for them to look at it. If they found the problem that's covered under CPO then it would only be $50, otherwise its $185 each time for diagnostic .

Current Ride
- 2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid
- 2014 X5 xDrive35 M
- 2013 ML-350 (Gone)
- 2012 Audi Q7 TDI (Gone)
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 03:36 PM   #4
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggyacid View Post

I explained to the advisor and he said it would cost $185 for diagnostic just for them to look at it. If they found the problem that's covered under CPO then it would only be $50, otherwise its $185 each time for diagnostic .

Well this is how it works with CPO, no matter what you first agree for their regular diagnostic fee (usually 1 hour of labor) if the problem found is covered by CPO, you pay just $50 per visit and BMW takes care of the rest, if problem is not covered by CPO program- you pay the diagnostic fee+ whatever costs of repair.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 05:53 PM   #5
endo_r1
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 35d

Next time idrive glitches, record a video of it on your phone or someone else's phone. Show that to the advisor. They will usually do it under warranty since you showed them a video of exactly what was happening. Worked for me two times at different dealerships
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 07:44 AM   #6
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
Rule #1: don't fix if it's not broken. There's always a risk that some module will say bye-bye durning programming.