BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-02-2019, 11:28 AM   #1
bboopsf
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i MW Sportline

2018 x5 40e or 2016/2017 x5 40e

Hi everyone - just started looking into the x5 as a potential replacement to my current 2015 Audi Q5 diesel. Had the opportunity to test drive an executive demo yesterday and thought it drive well and it had most of the options because it was an executive demo. The dealership is still asking for $54k since it's a 2018 but I've also seen that alot of 2016 40es are available now because of lease returns and are running around $36-$39k. The question I have for folks is it worth it to get a 2018 with low mileage or look for a slightly older one that may also have low mileage if I can find it with comparable options? I might also take a look at the x5d to compare as I've found one or two exec demos as well but they are running about $5k more surprisingly.

Would love folks feedback.

TIA!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 12:14 PM   #2
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

$54K is a bit high for previous generation in my opinion.It all depends on how much you drive and what do you expect from the car. Do you care about particular options? Do you have a budget set for your next car? It is hard to make a decision for someone else. I personally didn't like the 40e at the time and went with CPO 35D, very happy with it and planning on keeping it for a while, gives me decent MPG in the bay are traffic (24-26MPG in the heavy traffic) and got all the options I want. Another thing to consider is warranty, 2018 will give you better bumper to bumper warranty and 16/17 model will be CPO with 1 year/unlimited miles on top of the remaining manufacturer warranty, but you can use the money saved toward extended warranty for older model. I am honestly surprised that you still found F15 X5D as executive demo for sale, which dealership still got them?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 06:29 PM   #3
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Mileage doesn't matter as mine was low milage and now needs a new motor witch bmw is replacing for free. Sorry was ranting ..... but bmw stood by their product and took care of me so I will be coming back but it does freak me out a little.

Turned out their was an issue with 2016 model years and piston rings, So few 40e have been sold bmw doesn't make a issue out of it but it could happen at 20k or 70k theirs no telling when it could fail.

Car would idle rough sometimes but drive smooth as silk and not burn any oil, and the idle roughness really was not bad but not in a million years would I think it needed a new engine!

I guess the cylinder walls have a special coating and the rings were out of tolerance from the supplier and it would cause issues on cylinder 1

I'd keep it to 2017 or 18 to be safe.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 05:50 AM   #4
gwes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboopsf View Post
Hi everyone - just started looking into the x5 as a potential replacement to my current 2015 Audi Q5 diesel. Had the opportunity to test drive an executive demo yesterday and thought it drive well and it had most of the options because it was an executive demo. The dealership is still asking for $54k since it's a 2018 but I've also seen that alot of 2016 40es are available now because of lease returns and are running around $36-$39k. The question I have for folks is it worth it to get a 2018 with low mileage or look for a slightly older one that may also have low mileage if I can find it with comparable options? I might also take a look at the x5d to compare as I've found one or two exec demos as well but they are running about $5k more surprisingly.

TIA!
I’d go 2017/2018 just depending on how it’s optioned. At least you end up with the newer iDrive.

gwes
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 03:46 PM   #5
bboopsf
Rep

Thanks for the advice! We're going to test drive a 2016 and 2018 again since my husband wasn't with me the last time. Also still looking at test driving the diesel since I drive one currently and not sure we're ready to give up the torque that a diesel gives but are cognizant that diesels maybe going the way of the dinosaurs. Lucky for us we haven't had any issues with finding stations to refuel in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 04:25 AM   #6
bboopsf
Rep

Well we ended up coming home with a 2016 x5d cpo after visiting one dealership and test driving a 2016 cpo 40e and then heading over to another which actually had an x5d in stock. Was surprised with all the options it had (the only thing missing was the m sport pkg) but we overall still liked the way it drove vs hybrid. Will keep this one for about 3 years and see how things look for the new 45e and decide then whether we trade in for one or possibly a 2018 x5d.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 12:33 PM   #7
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Quote:
Well we ended up coming home with a 2016 x5d cpo after visiting one dealership and test driving a 2016 cpo 40e and then heading over to another which actually had an x5d in stock. Was surprised with all the options it had (the only thing missing was the m sport pkg) but we overall still liked the way it drove vs hybrid. Will keep this one for about 3 years and see how things look for the new 45e and decide then whether we trade in for one or possibly a 2018 x5d.
Congratulations! Welcome to the diesel club!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 02:01 PM   #8
BettyWhite
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 335d

Quote:

TIA!
Do not buy the electric hybrids unless you are planning on charging the high voltage battery regularly to keep it up.
Appreciate 0