BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-05-2019, 06:22 PM   #1
schach23
BMW enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW e46 M3

OEM Hitch wiring harness issue

Ok guys, got the stealth hitch installed and had the coding done (included in the purchase price) by Okee remotely. I bought a Curt 7 pin plug tester to test the harness as I don't have the trailer yet. On the 7 pin tester only the 12 v light was illuminated solid and there were three faint flashing lights corresponding to LT, TM, and RT. I called stealth hitch and they think there isn't enough draw from the little tester to tell the OEM harness and computer that theres anything connected. They said there has been instances of trailers with such little draw from LED lights that there has been issues. Any thoughts? I have triple checked all my wires, checked fuses, etc. Anyone with the OEM harness on a f15 able to chime in? I thought the install was pretty straight forward with the stealth hitch instructions. I even pulled the plug wiring to verify those were all tight and they were.

Scott
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 07:00 PM   #2
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Stop at a trailer place and plug into one real quick to test?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2019, 07:53 PM   #3
schach23
BMW enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
Stop at a trailer place and plug into one real quick to test?
That was my next step. Just wondering if this happened to anyone else.

Scott
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 02:07 AM   #4
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Mine is fine, but what turboawd said would be my next step, too.
      08-06-2019, 01:56 PM   #5
BettyWhite
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by schach23 View Post
Ok guys, got the stealth hitch installed and had the coding done (included in the purchase price) by Okee remotely. I bought a Curt 7 pin plug tester to test the harness as I don't have the trailer yet. On the 7 pin tester only the 12 v light was illuminated solid and there were three faint flashing lights corresponding to LT, TM, and RT. I called stealth hitch and they think there isn't enough draw from the little tester to tell the OEM harness and computer that theres anything connected. They said there has been instances of trailers with such little draw from LED lights that there has been issues. Any thoughts? I have triple checked all my wires, checked fuses, etc. Anyone with the OEM harness on a f15 able to chime in? I thought the install was pretty straight forward with the stealth hitch instructions. I even pulled the plug wiring to verify those were all tight and they were.

Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by schach23 View Post

Scott
BMW factory wiring does not light up the LED testers due to the pulse width modulation for the light outputs instead of 12V.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 02:13 PM   #6
schach23
BMW enthusiast
Rep

Ok guys I tried a friends trailer old with standard non led bulbs. Used a 7 pin to 4 pin adapter. Still no go. It's like the X won't sense there's a trailer plugged in. Going to try another control module. Other thoughts?

Re verified everything is where it's supposed to be and it all is. Re connected the canbus as I've read that's a sensitive connection.

Scott
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 03:43 PM   #7
schach23
BMW enthusiast
Rep

I bought a new module. Plugged it in then the trailer lights warning came on. Hooked up to the same trailer and no lights working.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 04:48 PM   #8
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

You bought a factory wiring harness which plugged in to a factory plug?
Where does this module you installed go?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2020, 12:42 AM   #9
classcl
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

What's the status now?

Hi, Can you please let me know how you solve that? I have the same issue. Flashing lights on Curt tester.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 02:59 PM   #10
enumb
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Hello, I am on the same boat, no luck on the tester. Any idea what to do?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2021, 04:55 PM   #11
mrrsharma@yahoo.com
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 35D F15

Did you figure it out? I installed the same thing from stealth hitches (module and wiring harness) but when time came for the connector I used this one instead

Hopkins 41144 Vehicle Wiring Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YJGC6C6...UTF8&psc=1

There also is a steel plate that matches up, I think I might have had to slot one of the plates on the stealth hitch. The big plus is this is the plug that is oem on the F15 and if you get this connector you don't need any adapter, this is a 2 in 1 connector.

You can use insta p to program the trailer module, it takes a bit but it is the way to go.

You just have to adjust it so the 2 snap doors don't get caught on the bottom facia.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 01:42 PM   #12
david_594
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 40e

Just wondering what the outcome was for everyone with this issue?

I installed a stealthhitch and OEM wiring a couple years ago when I first got my x5 and am finally getting around to needing it. And I have the same issue with the Curt tester with the solid 12v LED one and then the faintly flashing(~1 time per second) LT, RT and TM lights.

I just ordered the
Innovative Products of America - 9107A Trailer Brake Tester to see if this gives a different result. Reviews seem to suggest it works better with vehicles that are actively trying to determine if a trailer is connected.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 02:08 PM   #13
david_594
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_594 View Post

I just ordered the
Innovative Products of America - 9107A Trailer Brake Tester to see if this gives a different result. Reviews seem to suggest it works better with vehicles that are actively trying to determine if a trailer is connected.
Following up on my own post. With the 9107A Trailer brake tester all of the lights work appropriately(Left, right, brake and reverse). I don't have a brake controller wired to test that part of things.

But it does seem the issue is more likely a fault of the Curt wiring tester than the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 04:14 PM   #14
tukon
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5 (F15)

Thanks for the write up. How did you end up coding it?
Appreciate 0