BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

08-29-2019, 02:06 PM   #1
andykx213
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

High mileage thread for 2019

New to the M world and want to see how everyone's E9X's are holding up! Post your mileage and what problems you've encountered

Mine:

2013 M3. 57k miles now but got her at 50k. Only problem was the headlight lens seal was bad and moisture got into the housing. This caused the ballast to fail. I got it replaced at a indy shop and resealed the lens myself. Planning on swapping the rod bearings once my BE bearings and ARP bolts come in sometime November

Last edited by andykx213; 08-29-2019 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 02:26 PM   #2
kevin @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Once you hit 60k its all downhill from there JK. We have had plenty of customers well past 150k miles and car is running strong. There is a few cars in the 200k+ territory here. Normal maintenance and your car will run great for a long time.

Other than normal wear and tear items, the bearings and the actuators are the areas to be concerned about. Seems like you already have the bearings planned so you should be good for a while.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881105.00
      08-29-2019, 02:41 PM   #3
MightyM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

+1 for problems start at around 60k lol. At 67k right now, got the car with 18, no issues until i hit 60. Did bearing around 40k. Noticing some squeaks and wear items going, but again i drive the car hard every weekend.

Jason
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 02:42 PM   #4
andykx213
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin @ eas View Post
Once you hit 60k its all downhill from there JK. We have had plenty of customers well past 150k miles and car is running strong. There is a few cars in the 200k+ territory here. Normal maintenance and your car will run great for a long time.

Other than normal wear and tear items, the bearings and the actuators are the areas to be concerned about. Seems like you already have the bearings planned so you should be good for a while.
Quote:

Awesome, that's reassuring. I always heard these were solid cars
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 02:46 PM   #5
andykx213
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyM3 View Post
+1 for problems start at around 60k lol. At 67k right now, got the car with 18, no issues until i hit 60. Did bearing around 40k. Noticing some squeaks and wear items going, but again i drive the car hard every weekend.

Jason
Nice, that's a good run. I drive mine hard almost every day with M mode on, warmed up of course. Hope she lasts!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 03:47 PM   #6
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by andykx213 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyM3 View Post

Jason
Nice, that's a good run. I drive mine hard almost every day with M mode on, warmed up of course. Hope she lasts!
You would be surprised, the harder you push her the better she treats you

She's not interested in any p*ussy footing, so enjoy for many more miles!
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2019, 04:34 PM   #7
andykx213
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siajoon View Post

Good to hear How many miles have you put on yours? Any mechanical problems?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 05:00 PM   #8
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

110.5K miles. 2009 SG E90. BE bearings BE/ARP Bolts put on at 96K. Alpine stage 2 with test pipes and Corsa.. that's pretty much it.

No real underlying issues other than typical high mileage wear items... OFHG, DCT Slow leak (just did lower pan, filter, fluid), and the dreaded Driveshaft "Tink". New Driveshaft, guibo and trans mounts going in tomorrow thankfully.. After the OFHG was fully replaced, the car goes 5K miles without losing a drop of oil thus far.. which is very good IMO. Forgot to add, actuators rebuilt by PO with CF gears, so those did fail at one point.

The ONLY thing that has me worried is this occasional start-up rattle/clank..

.... still can't get a perfect diagnosis bc my Indy hasn't been able to listen to it in person. I think it's a chain tensioner or chain guide? idk .. has me worried but overall it pulls hard and has never broke down on me, or left me stranded. knock on wood ten million times.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 05:00 PM   #9
drrust
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT Sedan

Several threads on this topic even one on the first page:

High Mileage E9X M3's, you out there? https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1634764
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 06:23 PM   #10
kevin @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post

.... still can't get a perfect diagnosis bc my Indy hasn't been able to listen to it in person. I think it's a chain tensioner or chain guide? idk .. has me worried but overall it pulls hard and has never broke down on me, or left me stranded. knock on wood ten million times.
The clank I have heard before mostly on cars that have sat for a few days without starting. Thinking it has something to do with oil settling from the top end back to the oil pan.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 06:32 PM   #11
Ajolives
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
110.5K miles. 2009 SG E90. BE bearings BE/ARP Bolts put on at 96K. Alpine stage 2 with test pipes and Corsa.. that's pretty much it.

No real underlying issues other than typical high mileage wear items... OFHG, DCT Slow leak (just did lower pan, filter, fluid), and the dreaded Driveshaft "Tink". New Driveshaft, guibo and trans mounts going in tomorrow thankfully.. After the OFHG was fully replaced, the car goes 5K miles without losing a drop of oil thus far.. which is very good IMO. Forgot to add, actuators rebuilt by PO with CF gears, so those did fail at one point.

I had the same sound every cold start up. It sounded like it came from the front quarter panel instead of the engine. I know it sounds stupid, but pump your brakes 6 or 7 times and hold then start.

I read it in some random forum and gave it a try for the hell of it and now it doesn't really happen anymore; if it does it's very faint. I have no idea what happened, maybe a brake booster issue or some valve/vacuum line? I'm letting it be for now.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 06:36 PM   #12
Ajolives
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I've got 139k, bought it at 124k. I've replaced quite a bit, but I daily it so I want everything working in order, so I do a lot of preventative maintenance. 100% worth it for me, this car is a riot to drive everyday.
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881105.00
      08-29-2019, 07:09 PM   #13
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajolives View Post
Quote:

I had the same sound every cold start up. It sounded like it came from the front quarter panel instead of the engine. I know it sounds stupid, but pump your brakes 6 or 7 times and hold then start.

I read it in some random forum and gave it a try for the hell of it and now it doesn't really happen anymore; if it does it's very faint. I have no idea what happened, maybe a brake booster issue or some valve/vacuum line? I'm letting it be for now.
Yeah the break thing doesn't work.. I read and heard from a reliable source there is no possible way the breaks have any relation to the cause... I am pretty sure it's something in the vanos gears or chains, most likely from reading many source, it's a broken chain guide, which would make sense why it's intermittent since it could be moving and shifting during warm running and settling when cooling down. but I'm very much an amateur wannabe mechanic.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 07:18 PM   #14
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The clank I have heard before mostly on cars that have sat for a few days without starting. Thinking it has something to do with oil settling from the top end back to the oil pan.
Well, it definitely is normally a cold start issue, but it also happens sometimes when warm, or an hour or two after driving at operating temp.. it's sporadic.. if it happens, I turn it off, then it NEVER happens right after starting again. But if I waited an hour or 4, it's 30-50% chance. I do try to hit the start button without break to get power to pumps, wait 30 seconds, and then start and that helps a little but could be coincidence. I think it's timing chain tensioner or chain guide, but I'm not a DIYer and it's tough to get Indy to do it since they can't hear it with a stethoscope themselves.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 07:32 PM   #15
Ajolives
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah the break thing doesn't work.. I read and heard from a reliable source there is no possible way the breaks have any relation to the cause... I am pretty sure it's something in the vanos gears or chains, most likely from reading many source, it's a broken chain guide, which would make sense why it's intermittent since it could be moving and shifting during warm running and settling when cooling down. but I'm very much an amateur wannabe mechanic.
I agree, I almost stopped myself from typing the reply because it sounds ridiculous, but the loud clanky sound is gone.

It's certainly not a fix or a proper explanation, but I thought I'd just share. I have replacement tensioner bolts waiting to be put in, thinking about doing it this weekend. I'll chime in if they made a difference or not.
Appreciate 1
wfdeacon881105.00
      08-29-2019, 07:36 PM   #16
Siajoon
///Majestic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 ///M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siajoon View Post

Good to hear How many miles have you put on yours? Any mechanical problems?
Bought her with 55k and I have 70k miles now, replaced the bearings as a preventative measure and peace of mind and one actuator went out and I decided to replace both.

Other than consumables such as fluids,bushings, and oil changes the car has been bullet proof.

Also change: the rear subframe bushings to solid. Also highly recommend it so the differential is well supported under heavy and sudden loads.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 08:42 PM   #17
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Original clutch, RBs, TAs.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Tewie197.50
      08-29-2019, 08:44 PM   #18
andykx213
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaddiction View Post
You won the E92 lottery with that one What's your routine maintenance like?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 08:51 PM   #19
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesaddiction View Post
You won the E92 lottery with that one What's your routine maintenance like?
Take it easy until she’s good and warm, and then drive the piss out of it. Driven hard, but with some level of “mechanical sympathy”. Near redline at least once or twice per drive/day. Never hit the M button when you’re on the throttle. Oil changes every 7.5-10k miles. Changed transmission & diff fluid around 60k, time to do it again...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 09:45 PM   #20
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree, I almost stopped myself from typing the reply because it sounds ridiculous, but the loud clanky sound is gone.

It's certainly not a fix or a proper explanation, but I thought I'd just share. I have replacement tensioner bolts waiting to be put in, thinking about doing it this weekend. I'll chime in if they made a difference or not.
please do!! thank you! in the same boat together on this one and hopefully we get a solution. A couple of long threads never definitively solved it, so hopefully something works for us
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 09:50 PM   #21
chocstraw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682601

There are about three active high mileage threads, this one is 61 pages.

Glad we're getting these kinda threads, and glad to see that this is a very robust platform.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 02:18 AM   #22
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrust View Post
Several threads on this topic even one on the first page:

High Mileage E9X M3's, you out there? https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1634764
Get to post same thing in multiple threads...
Appreciate 0