BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

09-19-2019, 01:09 PM   #1
breukelenvr6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Monthly MTA card

Help from the community on purchase of a '17 35d from out-of-state

After some consideration, I've decided to increase my budget for the car that I want. Unfortunately, the vehicle is in Florida and I'm in NY — and it looks like shipping will be necessary. I had the dealer send me a series of walk-around videos and the car appears quite clean. That said, I wouldn't normally contemplate buying a car personally without inspection, but it is still under warranty, the Carfax is clean and the car has most of what I'm looking for.

Anyway, it is a '17 35d with ~15k miles from a Florida dealer and having it shipped to NY. The ask is ~$44k. It's decently loaded -- see the window sticker.

What do you guys think is a reasonable price for this vehicle and how much room do you think I have to negotiate?

And if it gets down to it, are there any amazing forum members willing to take a look at the vehicle for me in West Palm Beach?? I would need to think about the incentives for this favor

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Violator4587.50
      09-19-2019, 01:38 PM   #2
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

I would fly over there, check it out and drive back home. Is it CPO? If it is , 44K is not bad for the options included, but try to negotiate 2-3K off.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

FLA is one of those places I'd never buy sight unseen. Also I'd never ask anyone unknown on Internet to inspect and then rely on their word. And did my share of remote and even overseas purchases.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 02:22 PM   #4
breukelenvr6
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyles View Post
FLA is one of those places I'd never buy sight unseen. Also I'd never ask anyone unknown on Internet to inspect and then rely on their word. And did my share of remote and even overseas purchases.
I've heard funny things about buying cars in Florida. Why is this?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 02:24 PM   #5
breukelenvr6
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
I would fly over there, check it out and drive back home. Is it CPO? If it is , 44K is not bad for the options included, but try to negotiate 2-3K off.
In normal circumstances I would do exactly that. I just don't have the bandwidth unfortunately due to family and work.

I suppose if it doesn't work out or it's a bad idea, I'll just wait for the right car closer to home...

It's not CPO. The dealer sells Volvo, VW, Chevy, etc. -- but not BMW. The car was a trade-in
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 02:27 PM   #6
EdgyE36
Wisdom Searcher
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 and E46 M3

Some Suggestions

Just purchased a 2016 CPO so just went through sales process.

1. CPO? If not, why not? It is a BMW dealer right? If it is a CPO, I'd say the price is already pretty good.

2. What's the in-service date? A 17 car could have been sold in fall 2016. Confirm how much warranty you have.

3. Get warranty service report and review.

Good luck! We were interested in a diesel but very few of them here in DMV market.
      09-19-2019, 02:44 PM   #7
breukelenvr6
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgyE36 View Post
Just purchased a 2016 CPO so just went through sales process.

1. CPO? If not, why not? It is a BMW dealer right? If it is a CPO, I'd say the price is already pretty good.

2. What's the in-service date? A 17 car could have been sold in fall 2016. Confirm how much warranty you have.

3. Get warranty service report and review.

Good luck! We were interested in a diesel but very few of them here in DMV market.
It's not a CPO. The car was a trade-in for a larger GMC vehicle, at least that's what the sales advisor said.

Agree, I'll check to see how much warranty is left...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 03:02 PM   #8
mrfochon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M package

Garage List
I would be double cautious about Florida as well. And you are in NY, did you do an out of state before ?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 03:23 PM   #9
breukelenvr6
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfochon View Post
I would be double cautious about Florida as well. And you are in NY, did you do an out of state before ?
I did it once, but flew down to NC and drove it home. Florida is a bit too far and time consuming unfortunately to do the same.

I was thinking that since this vehicle is under factory warranty, low miles and checks out clean that I would potentially take a leap, as long as a "qualified" forum member might check the car out for me as a favor.

BTW, why is Florida so shady? Is it because titles can be cleaned there?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 03:23 PM   #10
EdgyE36
Wisdom Searcher
Rep

That explains it. That price is way lower than what I was seeing here for a 17 with such low miles.

Buying from a non-BMW dealer plus long distance adds another layer here IMO. They won't be able to tell you anything about the car's history (I don't think). Then again you'll have at least a year of full warranty left.

Maybe arrange a PPI? You could search for a BIMRS shop in the area: https://www.bimrs.org/ Find out what kind of M tire package the car has, if summer tires you'll need another set for NY.
      09-19-2019, 03:27 PM   #11
breukelenvr6
Enlisted Member
Rep

Nevermind, I see that Florida is not a Lemon Law state

Would have to check for flood damage of course...

Here's the Carfax report:

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...&partner=COO_0

Last edited by breukelenvr6; 09-19-2019 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 03:36 PM   #12
smyles
Major
Rep

OP, fly there, inspect the car, buy it and ship back. FLA/NY is a busy route, so finding a carrier for cheap won't be an issue. You can do everything in 1 day, car will arrive within a week or so
Appreciate 1
gqgambler717.50
      09-19-2019, 03:47 PM   #13
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by breukelenvr6 View Post
In normal circumstances I would do exactly that. I just don't have the bandwidth unfortunately due to family and work.

I suppose if it doesn't work out or it's a bad idea, I'll just wait for the right car closer to home...

It's not CPO. The dealer sells Volvo, VW, Chevy, etc. -- but not BMW. The car was a trade-in
If you can't drive it back just at least fly over and check it in person, Carfax seems to be a bit strange to me, sold in California, got title issued in Cali , registered in Illinois, registered in Texas, got traded in Florida. All that in 2.5 years and 15K miles. Makes me a bit suspicious, unless some one moved a lot ad shipped the car every time and it was someone's garage queen.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 04:08 PM   #14
breukelenvr6
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_Y_ View Post
If you can't drive it back just at least fly over and check it in person, Carfax seems to be a bit strange to me, sold in California, got title issued in Cali , registered in Illinois, registered in Texas, got traded in Florida. All that in 2.5 years and 15K miles. Makes me a bit suspicious, unless some one moved a lot ad shipped the car every time and it was someone's garage queen.
Agreed. That gave me some pause. Then again, an 8 year old car I bought previously with just 45k on the odometer across 4 states and 5 owners seemed risky, but it's been nothing but perfect

I spoke to a local BMW dealer and they would do a PPI for $300 (grr...) and it sounds like they've dealt with this other dealer before and it's been fine...

On the other hand, I could just spend $300-400 for an airline ticket, fly out in the AM and be back in time for dinner. Hmmm
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 04:17 PM   #15
InsipidMonkey
Premium Monkey
Rep
Drives: N54 E61, N57 F15

Quote:
Agreed. That gave me some pause. Then again, an 8 year old car I bought previously with just 45k on the odometer across 4 states and 5 owners seemed risky, but it's been nothing but perfect

I spoke to a local BMW dealer and they would do a PPI for $300 (grr...) and it sounds like they've dealt with this other dealer before and it's been fine...

On the other hand, I could just spend $300-400 for an airline ticket, fly out in the AM and be back in time for dinner. Hmmm
If it's still under warranty, I'd pay for a PPI from a trusted dealer (and an indy to be safe) and make sure all the required work was done before the warranty expired. $300 seems steep for a PPI unless they are incredibly thorough. Make sure you request a copy of the "Warranty Vehicle Inquiry" from the dealer when you get the PPI. This should have records of all the work done by the dealer, and include the in-service date and warranty periods.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 05:57 PM   #16
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:

BTW, why is Florida so shady? Is it because titles can be cleaned there?
Florida has a large rental car market, so a lot of the late model used cars have a good chance of being a formal rental. But i doubt a diesel x5 was ever a rental.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 06:01 PM   #17
KnudsonM3
MAGA
Rep
Drives: 99 M3, F15, F30

Quote:
It's not a CPO. The car was a trade-in for a larger GMC vehicle, at least that's what the sales advisor said.

Agree, I'll check to see how much warranty is left...

No warranty is included on any used BMW from 2015 onward. I was wondering why the car the OP is interested in is so cheap.

OP, might be worth looking into another car with CPO, at least it'll have a mechanical warranty.

I just bought an F15 X5 diesel for $42k with 35k miles. CPO until 06/2021.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 07:08 PM   #18
smyles
Major
Rep

Quote:
The dealer says the car is fine, but upon receipt you discover several body panels have been repainted.

Then what?
Appreciate 1
      09-19-2019, 08:06 PM   #19
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Carfax shows owner bought / lived in California, then moved texas up until 3 months ago. Then all the sudden it's in Florida for sale? And with only 14K miles? I'm guessing it went through an auction. Ask for proof of previous owner?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 09:01 PM   #20
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
I picked up a 16 35i late last year from a Chicago area dealer. The sales agent assured me the truck was in very nice condition and sent me the CPO inspection report. It would need brakes and tires to bring it up to CPO standards and then whatever extra cost for the CPO package. We elected to roll the dice as there was still a year of warranty left. I'd have to pay for tires but the brakes would be covered as a cat three item.

Anyway, once I got there, the truck did indeed look very nice but, the CPO report did not mention the bend (very slight) in the front wheel (car drives fine) or the fact that the front CF splitter was damaged. In all fairness, those could have been damaged after the report as issued, but I doubt it. We have since had a few items addressed under warranty and we enjoy the car very much. The dealer left us with a bad taste. It's a shame as they appear to have quite the operation.... and I will never recommend them to anyone.

Anyway, the point of this post is..... do not trust the salesperson or the dealer. Have someone else inspect the car.

Figure out your no go situations and someone start there. If you won't accept a car that has paint work have a body shop look it over before anything else is done. If it passes, then have someone look at the next issue..... and so on.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2019, 08:04 AM   #21
EdgyE36
Wisdom Searcher
Rep

Quote:
No warranty is included on any used BMW from 2015 onward.
That's not an issue. The car is a 2017, and based on Carfax looks to have been first sold in May. So car has original new car warranty coverage until May 2021 or 50K, whichever comes first.

That list I shared earlier are respected indies who can do a PPI. The only advantage of doing it at BMW dealer would be the warranty service report.
      09-20-2019, 10:19 AM   #22
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnudsonM3 View Post
No warranty is included on any used BMW from 2015 onward. I was wondering why the car the OP is interested in is so cheap.

OP, might be worth looking into another car with CPO, at least it'll have a mechanical warranty.

I just bought an F15 X5 diesel for $42k with 35k miles. CPO until 06/2021.
What do you mean no warranty? It is still covered under factory bumper to bumper warranty. 21 months or 35,346 miles remaining. They are all covered by 48 months or 50,000 miles factory warranty from the original in service date. Doesn't have to be CPO, warranty remains no matter how many owners car had or it is used/lease return.
Appreciate 0