BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-25-2008, 01:49 AM   #1
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Just had a nice run with an M5

I was going to Inn N Out and saw an M5 with dealer plate still on pulling out. I thought to myself, hey, I passed break in why not see what happens. I figured I would get destroyed.

Anyway, the guy pulls out to the right and I pull out as well and gas it by him to let him know I'm in the mood to play. He does not seem interested and I figure that is that, so I turn left onto a street which has little traffic on a Sunday night. The M5 follows

Anyway, he is behind me and I gun it, as does he. To my utter amazement, I pull away! I am nearing an intersection and I say enough is enough and hit the brakes, but I stretched my lead quite a bit. He blows by me on the left.

I did not understand it but then came another opportunity. This time I came up on the back of him and he floored it as did I. I switched lanes and slowly pulled past him, slowly and steadily. We repeated a couple more runs and the results were the exact same.

We pulled to a light and he rolls down his windows and now without the tint blocking I see 4 people. That explained that, him and his friend and two younger kids in the back.

We chat for a bit and he jokes about letting his passengers out and running again as he doesn't like to lose. I tell him I like his color and that he has a hell of a car. To my surprise he knew I had the DCT and asked how I liked the transmission. A cop stopped the opposite way and that was the sign that enough was enough and that it was time to go home.

Anyway, I am not claiming an M3 is faster than an M5 or anything like that (the M5 is significantly quicker), but just goes to show how a few hundred more pounds can make a significant difference. I was honestly astonished that I pulled, and that it continued as speeds rose. From the M5board videos I thought the M5 would have blown past me rupturing the space time continuum.

Last edited by Sticky; 08-26-2008 at 12:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 03:26 AM   #2
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

"People have died tripping and falling coming out of the shower. Perhaps we should only be sprayed by a hose?

People have died changing lightbulbs falling off a ladder.

People have died doing all kinds of activities, some reckless some not, throughout the ages."

Be sure not to trip walking out of the In-N-Out.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 03:32 AM   #3
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
"People have died tripping and falling coming out of the shower. Perhaps we should only be sprayed by a hose?

People have died changing lightbulbs falling off a ladder.

People have died doing all kinds of activities, some reckless some not, throughout the ages."

Be sure not to trip walking out of the In-N-Out.
An M5, sunday night, little activity on the road, I decided to wind my car out. I never ended up making it to Inn N out, but I use the drive-thru for safety reasons. The floor inside is slippery.

A double double would really hit the spot.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 03:40 AM   #4
TheRealDC
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

AM Vantage V8

I had a similar experience with a lovely black Vantage V8 a couple of months ago. Came up behind him on a stretch of dual carriageway (near Glasgow airport - if you're familiar with the area you'll know the road I'm referring to) and he caught me out on the drop. He pulled out a couple of hundred yards before I dropped into 3rd (at approx 60 mph). However, by the time I'd redline in 4th and into 5th, I had caught him - probably up to nearly 140. He pulled over to take the next exit and gave a nice thumbs up to acknowledge a bit of good natured fun. Bottom line is that the M3 is a shade quicker, but the noise of the AM was beautiful (and the looks!!).

DC
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 03:41 AM   #5
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
I was going to Inn N Out and saw an M5 with dealer plate still on pulling out. I thought to myself, hey, I passed break in why not see what happens. I figured I would get destroyed.

Anyway, the guy pulls out to the right and I pull out as well and gas it by him to let him know I'm in the mood to play. He does not seem interested and I figure that is that, so I turn left onto a street which has little traffic on a Sunday night. The M5 follows

Anyway, he is behind me and I gun it, as does he. To my utter amazement, I pull away! I am nearing an intersection and I say enough is enough and hit the brakes, but I stretched my lead quite a bit. He blows by me on the left.

I did not understand it but then came another opportunity. This time I came up on the back of him and he floored it as did I. I switched lanes and slowly pulled past him, slowly and steadily. We repeated a couple more runs and the results were the exact same.

We pulled to a light and he rolls down his windows and now without the tint blocking I see 4 passengers. That explained that, him and his friend and two younger kids in the back.

We chat for a bit and he jokes about letting his passengers out and running again as he doesn't like to lose. I tell him I like his color and that he has a hell of a car. To my surprise he knew I had the DCT and asked how I liked the transmission. A cop stopped the opposite way and that was the sign that enough was enough and that it was time to go home.

Anyway, I am not claiming an M3 is faster than an M5 or anything like that (the M5 is significantly quicker), but just goes to show how a few hundred more pounds can make a significant difference. I was honestly astonished that I pulled, and that it continued as speeds rose. From the M5board videos I thought the M5 would have blown past me rupturing the space time continuum.

This M5Board video thing keeps popping up and showing things to be different than on the street. Yes the extra passengers would have made a difference but based of the evidence in those videos (an remember it's a Touring M5 in those) I would also have thought it would have had you.

Just goes to show, don't believe everything you see.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

maybe he forgot to press the 500hp button?
      08-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
DJ9
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3_SG

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
I had a few situations over the past month of running with a few M5's at the track (going into long straight aways..one on one leading into a corner, so passing or not passing was in order). I'd say that the M5's definitely had to lift/ease off a tad for me to safely pass (as the M3 was obviously quicker through the corners and overall track); however it was not like the M3 was dieing to keep up; more so "in the face." Think weight, gearing, etc, throw off the overal hp difference. M5's are indeed beasts though!

2008 E92M3-Space Gray
Eisenmann Sport Exhaust_MT/Loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 05:13 PM   #8
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Nice story, but I would have gone in to eat. We don't have In N Out over here but I try to eat there everytime i'm in Vegas.

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #9
Scorpion
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Thats crazy how all you guys do this crazy stuff on the road, kinda can't wait till I get a bimmer now lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 07:29 PM   #10
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
Maybe it was actually an M3 DCT
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 10:48 PM   #11
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krueger///M3 View Post
Not sure what you mean? My car is DCT.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 11:20 PM   #12
MDCTFTW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krueger///M3 View Post
He meant the M5's power button.

MDCT ... so you can drive and eat a hamburger at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 01:47 AM   #13
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
Also probably launched in the wrong gear. I am sure he didn't give it his all with kids in the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 01:54 AM   #14
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
driver errror for sure.. (i came from a m5)
      08-26-2008, 01:57 AM   #15
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightie View Post
driver errror for sure.. (i came from a m5)
Look, the M5 is the faster car. It just isn't the faster car with 4 people in it.

How can there be driver error on several pulls from a roll? The guy said himself he wanted to unload his passengers and run again as he rarely loses. He knew what he was doing and he knew the cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 01:58 AM   #16
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC View Post
Also probably launched in the wrong gear. I am sure he didn't give it his all with kids in the car.
I don't think they were his kids, too young and his friend was in his early 20's as well. Might have been their little brothers or cousins, makes more sense.

Trust me, he was clearly giving it his all, or else he would not have kept coming back for more and would have told me so when he stopped to chat at the light.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 03:21 AM   #17
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Sticky,

How many were in your car, I take it you were alone? So the kids, what age roughly (8~10yrs). If so then you were taking on an M5 with the equivalent to having an extra two adults more than you, the two kids amounting to the weight of one adult.

I believe you even if others don't, the new M3 has a power to weight of 255hp, the M5 is roughly 270~275hp. The extra passengers will probably drop that by about 5hp, maybe more and this is before we take into account the DCT compared to the SMG.

Like I say, I believe you. You probably have a quicker than average M3 and took on a slightly slower M5, there is nothing strange in that.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 03:27 AM   #18
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Sticky,

How many were in your car, I take it you were alone? So the kids, what age roughly (8~10yrs). If so then you were taking on an M5 with the equivalent to having an extra two adults more than you, the two kids amounting to the weight of one adult.

I believe you even if others don't, the new M3 has a power to weight of 255hp, the M5 is roughly 270~275hp. The extra passengers will probably drop that by about 5hp, maybe more and this is before we take into account the DCT compared to the SMG.

Like I say, I believe you. You probably have a quicker than average M3 and took on a slightly slower M5, there is nothing strange in that.
I was by myself. I don't know if my M3 is quicker than average, I just finished break in. The kids were probably in that 8-12 range, honestly I did not pay much attention to them I just talked with the guy as much as I could before the light went green as there was a cop stopped opposite of us.

I will be sure to get dyno numbers ASAP, I have a few parts on order as is, still waiting on the ASR scoops and exhaust to be released.

I know my car is running pretty well.

These cars are both so quick that something like extra passengers is enough to upset the result. Glad you believe me, I was there so I know exactly what happened impossible to convince everyone else and that is fine. Thought it was an interesting story regardless.

My friend has an E60 M5 I will try to do some runs with him sometime with no passengers just to see the difference and how bad he will pull me. I think it will be closer than most people would expect, and that would be something I would get on video as it would be planned.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 03:46 AM   #19
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

If you want to run some M5's. Post on M5board.com, many will show up in SoCal. Members that have owned their car for years and know how to drive them.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 03:51 AM   #20
Phoenix 21st
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 M-dct SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post

sounds like speculation.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 03:56 AM   #21
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC View Post
If you want to run some M5's. Post on M5board.com, many will show up in SoCal. Members that have owned their car for years and know how to drive them.
Or I could just run my friends and tape it? But he probably doesn't know how to drive it either as pushing the power button and pulling on a paddle requires a masters degree.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 04:07 AM   #22
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
Or I could just run my friends and tape it? But he probably doesn't know how to drive it either as pushing the power button and pulling on a paddle requires a masters degree.
You sure are defensive.

Just letting you know, there are some guys that have wanted to race the new M3.

Sorry if I offended you.
Appreciate 0