BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-02-2019, 11:29 PM   #1
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Value of car with newly rebuilt engine?

Long story short my engine blew right before I was going to sell the car. I had a donor engine rebuilt by a local BMW shop at a total cost of $18k or so and it has upgraded bearings and a 1 year 12k mile warranty on it.

The car is a 2013 E92 ZCP with every option, totally stock except for a performance steering wheel and aftermarket wheels. Literally picked it up from the shop yesterday, running smooth but will be driving around to make sure there’s no problems (shop test drove it for a week too).

Thoughts on fair pricing for private sale?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 11:55 PM   #2
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Miles on car? Miles on new engine?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 12:34 AM   #3
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
Miles on car? Miles on new engine?
Oops. Body has 59.3k. Engine has been driven maybe 200 miles since rebuild.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 12:50 AM   #4
Jasonmag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

What's the condition of the exterior and interior? Pics?

Last edited by Jasonmag; 11-03-2019 at 12:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 12:59 AM   #5
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

What did the rebuild entail and how many miles on the motor when swapped?

Based on this all I’d say the engine rebuild adds little to the car’s value. Generally a swap is a ding on the car, but I think if the rebuild was through and by a reputable shop then it can overcome that. But even then, it probably wouldn’t be worth more than the original engine if in perfect running order with full receipts/records. The bearings help. Overall I’d look for comparable cars with ~50K miles and value it around there.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 01:09 AM   #6
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Hopefully you fetch top $ for yours... you're an honest dude.. don't let anyone wear you down
      11-03-2019, 01:12 AM   #7
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonmag View Post
What's the condition of the exterior and interior? Pics?
Interior is 10/10. Exterior is in great shape except front bumper could use a respray or new spoiler, the old one took some paint with it when it tore off but can only be seen looking under the bumper. Need to take pics this weekend.

Before I decided to sell it my plan was to have the bumper resprayed and shave the reflectors but since I was selling it, it seems better to leave that to the buyer since they may just want to put a new spoiler on

Last edited by dgoldenz; 11-03-2019 at 01:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 01:16 AM   #8
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What did the rebuild entail and how many miles on the motor when swapped?

Based on this all I’d say the engine rebuild adds little to the car’s value. Generally a swap is a ding on the car, but I think if the rebuild was through and by a reputable shop then it can overcome that. But even then, it probably wouldn’t be worth more than the original engine if in perfect running order with full receipts/records. The bearings help. Overall I’d look for comparable cars with ~50K miles and value it around there.
I’m not an engine teardown/building expert so I really have no idea exactly what the shop does. I’m comfortable with the work given that they’re willing to back it with a transferable warranty. Their tech that rebuilt it (Devin) is one of the best around. The work was done at Southwest Bimmers in Las Vegas.

If I was buying a 7-12 year old car I’d certainly pay extra for a freshly rebuilt one on one of these cars. This should last a long time with no issues and upgraded bearings. The market will bear what it will but I find it hard to believe buyers would rather have an original engine that they have no idea how well it was taken care of or how badly it was hammered on vs one that is basically brand new.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 01:18 AM   #9
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
Hopefully you fetch top $ for yours... you're an honest dude.. don't let anyone wear you down
Thanks. I’ve honestly thought about just keeping it but it seems kind of excessive to keep this and a GT3 along with having a lease payment for a daily
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 01:35 AM   #10
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
.. but I find it hard to believe buyers would rather have an original engine that they have no idea how well it was taken care of or how badly it was hammered on vs one that is basically brand new.
FWIW I compared it to an original engine with receipts/records, not one with uncertain history. Yours would fare better than the latter, for sure, which is why I said perhaps cars with ~50K would be comparable. The more details you can get from the shop, the better your ad will be.
But it’s like a car in an accident that was repaired by a great shop - it may have new paint, but it’s not original.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 01:46 AM   #11
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
FWIW I compared it to an original engine with receipts/records, not one with uncertain history. Yours would fare better than the latter, for sure, which is why I said perhaps cars with ~50K would be comparable. The more details you can get from the shop, the better your ad will be.
But it’s like a car in an accident that was repaired by a great shop - it may have new paint, but it’s not original.
Receipts and records doesn’t mean a car wasn’t redlined from one quarter mile to the next repeatedly. You never truly know how someone took care of and drove it before you. I don’t really see it the same thing at all compared to an accident. An accident can affect the structural integrity of the car and how it drives, and there’s a clear loss of value because of that.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 01:09 AM   #12
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Receipts and records doesn’t mean a car wasn’t redlined from one quarter mile to the next repeatedly. You never truly know how someone took care of and drove it before you. I don’t really see it the same thing at all compared to an accident. An accident can affect the structural integrity of the car and how it drives, and there’s a clear loss of value because of that.
I definitely see it the same way dgolden. An engine swap doesn't hide away possible shit, a crash repair does.

Same thing with a rebuilt engine, in my view of course it adds value to a 59k miles car. Don't get though how you don't know what was done to the engine, after paying $18k. Curious was rebuilt means in this case, report back mate!

Edit: Just noticed your earlier add. So engine replaced once already at 24k, bit of a haunted car. And fairly new rod shells in the second that blow. SC'd but still, wtf? What bearings was used?
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1602457

Last edited by Helmsman; 11-03-2019 at 01:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 01:19 AM   #13
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

I’m only playing devils advocate so that you can see how some potential buyers may see it; as you said, the market will bear what it will. Not all accidents are structural or severe, but they all effect value for the worse even if the car comes out better than before.
But why did the original engine blow? Could theoretically be due to the same things you say could color another used engine, which wouldn’t fare well for the rest of the car either. Of course I’m not saying this, just that if you have a basic ad, one could think “dang, maybe he was a rough owner and redlined it cold and spun a bearing!”
Just saying. A lot of it will come down to the details in your ad and maintenance history and documentation.
Regardless, GLWS and I’m sorry for your rebuild bill/timing.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 07:49 AM   #14
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Since it doesn't sound like you're a mechanically inclined guy, I'd hope that your shop is willing to review the receipt with any potential buyer. Either that or you better understand what was done to the engine for $18k. A serious buyer will ask and want a legit answer.

IMO, a replaced engine doesn't entirely warrant a lower cost. I'd list it at a price comparable to an m3 and go from there. For $18k on a rebuilt engine, I'd think they'd do a decent amount of work to it.

You up for posting the engine rebuild receipt?
      11-03-2019, 10:07 AM   #15
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Shoot me a price lol
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 10:29 AM   #16
bmwpower603
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 m3 coupe 08 e90 M3

Ive been in the car business now for 11 years. Dealing strictly with repair/ sales of used BMWs.

A rebuilt engine de values the vehicle. The only way to keep full value of a vehicle is to have the original engine. And maintain it excessively at the dealer/ independent shops.

With this being said. It is not a bring a trailer vehicle. So your best choice would be craigslist, or eBay if you plan to sell it.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 10:29 AM   #17
wyatth
Colonel
Rep

To clarify, I don’t necessarily think a replaced engine always warrants a lower value. It depends on a lot of factors, especially miles on the car. A low mile car (<30K) would probably see a price hit. A high mile car (>100K) could probably see some price increase even. At 59K, this is right in the middle and so it depends on a lot of other things, ie, why it blew, details of the rebuild, and condition/records for the rest of the car.

$18K for a rebuild is serious coin though. I too am curious what that entailed.

Also ... pics! Sounds like a nice car. I’d say keep it at this point, but GT3 > all.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 10:46 AM   #18
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

To be clear, the engine in the car when it blew was not rebuilt. It had a hole in the block so the old engine was trashed and couldn’t be rebuilt.

It cost me $6400 for a donor engine and then $10k to rebuild it plus removal and replacement and a couple other parts I had to source like the air box, fuel injectors, etc (engine was SC when it blew and I had them take off the SC kit). I’d have to add everything up but it was in the ballpark of $18k all said and done, maybe a little more.

The reason the donor engine was rebuilt is because it had some check engine issues that the shop couldn’t guarantee could be fixed without a full teardown and I didn’t want to spend $5k to find out, seemed better to spend $10k to have it done right. Fortunately I made sure the donor engine had a warranty and the source of the donor engine was willing to settle on it which softened the blow (still hurts though!)

There’s some pics of the car in my previous for sale thread. Only visual difference is the Vorsteiner hood and the exhaust was replaced with OEM. I’ll be posting up some more when I relist it. I also have all receipts and service records from the previous owner who bought it new.

I’m honestly really tempted to keep both cars but that’s a lot of money tied up in the garage when I can only drive one at a time.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 11:23 AM   #19
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Swap out of the lease on the daily and daily drive the ZCP.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 01:18 PM   #20
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
Not a bad advice.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 01:32 PM   #21
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
I've thought about it, but the lease isn't that expensive and it's nice having an SUV around to haul stuff. If i keep it I'd probably keep all three cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 01:35 AM   #22
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
I’m not an engine teardown/building expert so I really have no idea exactly what the shop does. I’m comfortable with the work given that they’re willing to back it with a transferable warranty. Their tech that rebuilt it (Devin) is one of the best around. The work was done at Southwest Bimmers in Las Vegas.

If I was buying a 7-12 year old car I’d certainly pay extra for a freshly rebuilt one on one of these cars. This should last a long time with no issues and upgraded bearings. The market will bear what it will but I find it hard to believe buyers would rather have an original engine that they have no idea how well it was taken care of or how badly it was hammered on vs one that is basically brand new.

I agree with your logic but casually looking at at private sales it doesn't seem like a lower mile engine swapped into a higher mile car commands a premium, usually the opposite.

If it was me, I'd rather have a rebuilt engine with 25k miles on it before rebuild in a 85k mile car, than an 85k mile engine in the same car.

You should ask what bearings they used, that will be important to buyers.
Appreciate 0