kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Considering an X5 diesel

So the time has come sadly that we have to give up on rejecting the SUV trend.
I will be looking for one in the spring, currently leaning towards a 16 MB GLE350d, a 15-16 BMW X5d, or possibly able to stretch for a 14+ Cayenne diesel

The question is, how are the N57s in terms of reliability. and how does it hold up against MB and their diesel

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 12:40 PM   #2
Picasso
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

N57 has outstanding reliability - which is very rare among BMW engines. The car you are looking at will have second generation or so called N57TU which has improved on lots of things. That been said even N57 first gen. was very reliable overall.
Among the cars you listed I prefer Cayenne, but only because I like Porsche more than BMW. If we don't take my biased Porsche opinion, then F15 35d is better handling, better fuel economy, faster compared to GLE350d. Keep in mind all F15s have excellent ZF8 transmission that is also very reliable. Basically with F15 35d you have a rare combo of having both reliable engine and tranny in BMW world - which is very rare. Sure, other things might go wrong with electronics etc, but GLE350d has overall a lot worse outcome when it comes to cost of repairs. I read somewhere that even Toyota holy grail of reliability according to Scotty Kilmer had a subcontract for BMW small diesel engines for Europe. If Toyota was buying BMW diesel engines - then it says something.
Simply put in USA/Canada market there is no other diesel engine better than N57 currently. With a huge lead. Well maybe except some Honda diesel one - that small engine if they still offer it in US?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf N57TU Engine.pdf (3.37 MB, 1060 views)

Last edited by Picasso; 12-04-2019 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 01:44 PM   #3
Radekxpl
The General
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35D & E46 M3

I would highly recommend N57 had it for the past 3 years excellent reliability, just fill up with diesel and regular oil changes and that is it. Excellent torque and towing capabilities and the best part gas milage I call it a Prius SUV not going to find anything even close this size and weight which get close 30mpg
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 04:41 AM   #4
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

The lease on my 2017 35d is up in March. This is my second F15 35d, and they've been the most satisfying family vehicles I've ever owned - by far. My service advisor reports that this powertrain has been very reliable, so I'm going to buy it out. I'm debating whether to CPO or buy an extended warranty, but I may go without a net.

After 6 years with oil burning X5s, I'm still a huge fan of this efficient, flexible, and smooth power train. The torque on demand remains intoxicating!
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite), 2006 M3 slick top - Alpine White/Cinnamon
SOLD! 2008 E90 M3 SOLD! 1991 325iX (both great), 2019 Miata RF - various others not as memorable but gone.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 07:22 AM   #5
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
I am liking the love for the X5d but kinda expected from a BMW forum, personally I didn't want the GLE but the wife is a MB fangirl having had 2 of them

I have seen that majority of issues seems to come from the emission equipment. Anyone has had carbon buildup issues with city driving? The car will be about 70% city, and 30% highway

Will be looking closer to spring, hopefully her 11 C63 will sell well.

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 08:19 AM   #6
Fatty Duckets
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is

I love my x5D. I came from two tuned 335s with stick shifts (I do miss them from time to time). This truck is fantastic. For my job, I need the extra space to lug product around, so the x5d is both functional and fun. The cabin space in the driver seat feels so open and spacious, and the sight lines around the vehicle are tremendous. Also, if mpg is a factor for you (it wasn't the deciding factor, however it was the icing on the 'ol cake) then this car is a no brainer. On a side note, my car between the x5d and the 335is was a Prius Prime. Talk about a car that you can fill with water and get 60 mpg HA HA. I ended replacing the wife's old camry with the Prius. An awesome car for her, as she doesn't give two shits about what she drives. Best of luck!

Last edited by Fatty Duckets; 12-05-2019 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 01:58 PM   #7
Markbebb
Private
Rep
Drives: F15 4d m

Ive had the bmw 3.0d in various models for 17 years. Past 8 years have been the twin turbo version in either 535d or x5 40d.

The engine has been faultless in every car I've had. Some years I've done 30k miles in them, other years 10k.

I've always bout 2 or 3 year old cars from main bmw dealers, keep them 3 years and sell with the AUC warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 04:15 PM   #8
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
The lease on my 2017 35d is up in March. This is my second F15 35d, and they've been the most satisfying family vehicles I've ever owned - by far. My service advisor reports that this powertrain has been very reliable, so I'm going to buy it out. I'm debating whether to CPO or buy an extended warranty, but I may go without a net.

After 6 years with oil burning X5s, I'm still a huge fan of this efficient, flexible, and smooth power train. The torque on demand remains intoxicating!
LOL!! This is my exact same situation. First 35d was a 2014 which I leased for three years. Turned it in trouble free with 45K miles on it. Ordered an exact replica and the dealer thought I was crazy. I took delivery of v2.0 in April of 2017. That lease is due in April 2020 and I'm going to buy it out as I've had ZERO issues with it as well.

Six years with roughly the same exact vehicle without regret or issues. The only thing that would make me consider trading in my current 35d would a be new X5 with a diesel offering.

Oh, did I mention that I averaged 29.6 MPG and get ~650 miles between fill ups? And that is around town with 30% interstate.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      12-05-2019, 06:03 PM   #9
Picasso
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
LOL!! This is my exact same situation. First 35d was a 2014 which I leased for three years. Turned it in trouble free with 45K miles on it. Ordered an exact replica and the dealer thought I was crazy. I took delivery of v2.0 in April of 2017. That lease is due in April 2020 and I'm going to buy it out as I've had ZERO issues with it as well.

Six years with roughly the same exact vehicle without regret or issues. The only thing that would make me consider trading in my current 35d would a be new X5 with a diesel offering.

Oh, did I mention that I averaged 29.6 MPG and get ~650 miles between fill ups? And that is around town with 30% interstate.
Unfortunately, BMW allocated all diesel engines for Europe and Asia, so no diesel x5 for USA/Canada anymore.
If I were a F15 35d owner - I would hold to it dearly and never let go.

My theory is that this was a fatal flaw made by BMW in their planned obsolescence program - they accidentally made a reliable "1 million miles engine". They realized it and killed the option for current G05 generation of x5. BMW engineers have kids to put through college too, so they don't need engines like N57 to exist.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 07:48 AM   #10
scootr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 3.0 6MT

I read the diesel car market is falling off in the US possibly effected by the VW scandal and higher diesel fuel and service costs. I read they will continue to sell this motor on all other continents. Been reading great things about this combo X5 diesel, looking to buy. Thanks for your comments
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2019, 11:47 AM   #11
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr View Post
I read the diesel car market is falling off in the US possibly effected by the VW scandal and higher diesel fuel and service costs. I read they will continue to sell this motor on all other continents. Been reading great things about this combo X5 diesel, looking to buy. Thanks for your comments
The reason they killed the 35d in the US is because the quality of our diesel fuel sucks balls. In Illinois and many Midwest states the fuel composition is up to 20% bio-diesel, which causes major problems with the EGR system. We had a brand new 2015 35d X5 and experienced a major powertrain fault after less than 1000 miles that required the entire EGR system to be rebuilt on BMWs dime. If you read their literature, it explicitly states that the engines require a bio-diesel content of no more that 5%, which in many states is impossible to find. Keep this in mind if you plan to keep you diesel out of warranty.
      12-15-2019, 06:24 PM   #12
CanadianLurker
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 xDrive35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr View Post
The reason they killed the 35d in the US is because the quality of our diesel fuel sucks balls. In Illinois and many Midwest states the fuel composition is up to 20% bio-diesel, which causes major problems with the EGR system. We had a brand new 2015 35d X5 and experienced a major powertrain fault after less than 1000 miles that required the entire EGR system to be rebuilt on BMWs dime. If you read their literature, it explicitly states that the engines require a bio-diesel content of no more that 5%, which in many states is impossible to find. Keep this in mind if you plan to keep you diesel out of warranty.
Thankfully in Canada the quality of our diesel is much better than in the US. Bio-diesel isn't very common in Canada. Also, our diesel tends to be priced lower than Regular Unleaded Gas in Spring/Summer/Fall. It rises above RUG in winter when it's prime heating season. In part this is due to the same or lower taxes compared to gasoline vs in US where diesel is generally taxed more.
Appreciate 2
Al Pină1839.50
triax37130.00
      12-16-2019, 08:40 AM   #13
TheUtahX5M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 M

My 2014 diesel has 110k miles and has been amazing in terms of performance and reliability. I've had a few items to repair, but overall fantastic and the most reliable BMW I've ever had.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 10:56 AM   #14
triax37
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31, 2014 F15, 2002 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
This is great info - thank you for sharing it. I am in Colorado and wanted to buy a F15 35d, but couldn't get fully comfortable with the EGR dynamics. Ultimately I bought a F15 35i. For those in CA, another enthusiast uses Propel Fuels on his E70 35d, and seems to be very positive - his build thread is here:

https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...og-m57-x5.html
https://propelfuels.com/
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 06:31 AM   #15
scootr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 3.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUtahX5M View Post
My 2014 diesel has 110k miles and has been amazing in terms of performance and reliability. I've had a few items to repair, but overall fantastic and the most reliable BMW I've ever had.
Quote:
Originally Posted by triax37 View Post
This is great info - thank you for sharing it. I am in Colorado and wanted to buy a F15 35d, but couldn't get fully comfortable with the EGR dynamics. Ultimately I bought a F15 35i. For those in CA, another enthusiast uses Propel Fuels on his E70 35d, and seems to be very positive - his build thread is here:

https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/...og-m57-x5.html
https://propelfuels.com/
Good to know, thank you. I'm still considering a low mileage 2018 with all the bells and whistles. Only thing stopping me is the 50k cost when loaded with driving & parking assist. These are sure nice features I'm not sure I need.

Last edited by scootr; 12-19-2019 at 06:38 AM..
Appreciate 0