BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

12-31-2019, 03:56 PM   #1
lancerr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

detailing question

my '09 m3's interior is starting to show it's age and I want to freshen it up.

Strategy
1. detail interior
2. dye for leather
3. dye for plastic

Question on detailing interior. I'd prefer to do it myself but my current strategy of using qtips and alcohol doesn't lasts a few hours and then the vents get dirty again.

Any way to keep this stuff clean?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 03:59 PM   #2
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

A good All Purpose cleaner and a small detailing brush would work well. I like Meguiars All Purpose cleaner, does a good job everywhere really.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 04:03 PM   #3
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Plastic dye? You're better off replacing those parts outright. Tinted windows and routine application of a UV-protectant on those plastics will greatly slow down their fading. I would also highly recommend against doing leather dye yourself -- very easy to screw it up. Find a reputable automobile interior replace (e.g. the places that do convertible tops or upholstery) and let them fix things. Many of them actually have mobile services.

Go buy a pack of small paintbrushes for dusting in the vents. You can also get those air duster cans used for computers and keyboards for any other hard-to-reach spots.
      12-31-2019, 04:11 PM   #4
JPWEraser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06/Z07

I would recommend a good interior cleaner over an APC in any situation and especially with the condition of some of the plastics in your pictures (peeling finish etc.).

I've had consistently top notch results with 1z Cockpit Premium and a Swissvax or DD brush over the course of my detailing career. Simply spray the cleaner on a small area, lightly agitate with the brush, and then dry the area with a clean microfiber cloth.

https://www.detailersdomain.com/prod...ockpit-premium

https://www.detailersdomain.com/coll...ailing-brushes

You don't have to shop at DD but I've been buying from Phil for over 10 years with literally zero problems.

Like Dparm wrote, don't fool with plastic dyes - the BMW's interior plastics have rubberized coatings to soften the look and feel. They can't be dyed to be repaired.

There are several vendors that sell color matched leather dyes but I would recommend Colourlock's system for good results that are achievable by a novice if you want to do it yourself.

https://www.colourlock.com/bmw_leath...a?___store=usa
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 04:12 PM   #5
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Woah, can't see any chemicals do the trick here mate, nothing will keep you away from more regular cleaning with whatever...😉
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 04:18 PM   #6
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

You need a new center console trim that’s for sure
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2019, 04:28 PM   #7
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

For leather dye I used Colourlock.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=25467706
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 04:48 PM   #8
BobbyAxelrod
Rep
Drives: '08 E93 M3 | D'evils

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPWEraser View Post
I would recommend a good interior cleaner over an APC in any situation and especially with the condition of some of the plastics in your pictures (peeling finish etc.).

I've had consistently top notch results with 1z Cockpit Premium and a Swissvax or DD brush over the course of my detailing career. Simply spray the cleaner on a small area, lightly agitate with the brush, and then dry the area with a clean microfiber cloth.

You don't have to shop at DD but I've been buying from Phil for over 10 years with literally zero problems.

Like Dparm wrote, don't fool with plastic dyes - the BMW's interior plastics have rubberized coatings to soften the look and feel. They can't be dyed to be repaired.

There are several vendors that sell color matched leather dyes but I would recommend Colourlock's system for good results that are achievable by a novice if you want to do it yourself.

+ 1 for Cockpit Cleaner but ever since Matt at OG said it smelled like a urinal cake, I've been hesitant and now can't get the idea/smell out of my head.

I recently switched to P&S interior cleaner with a small detailing brush/microfibers and it works like a charm.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 06:43 PM   #9
JPWEraser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It's true that Cockpit Premium doesn't smell as good as it used to several years ago but it still cleans extremely well.

I'm a huge fan of P&S Bead Maker and Brake Buster. I'm sure their interior cleaner is good as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 07:00 PM   #10
b4hand
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I have found that Interior "Detailers" or "Cleaners" don't work well on a dirty interior. There is very little cleaning power. This guy needs it to be cleaned hence my suggestion for using an APC. Obviously not all are alike but Mergiuars even recommends using theirs on interiors that are dirtier then usual.

P&S is great but it just doesn't clean well imo
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 07:22 PM   #11
JPWEraser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but 1z has always had plenty of power to clean. It's less about the cleaner and more about the agitation. The proof is in the pudding. Here's a before/after using the products and method I mentioned above.

Edit: after/before... they uploaded backwards.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 07:55 PM   #12
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

that center tray is toast. not coming back.

i've been curious to try that putty like stuff that can get into cracks to absorb dust, but i haven't gotten any yet... might not work well, i don't know.
      12-31-2019, 11:43 PM   #13
lancerr
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
that center tray is toast. not coming back.

i've been curious to try that putty like stuff that can get into cracks to absorb dust, but i haven't gotten any yet... might not work well, i don't know.
Thank you all. Need to rethink my plan on the center console. Maybe try wrapping them instead.

I'll try the all in one and the detailer recommendations and post the results.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 11:46 PM   #14
romero1990
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F25 X3

Garage List
2017 X3  [0.00]
2009 M3  [0.00]
How about leather care? My driver seat side flap is showing sign of wear. Mainly my jeans rubbing when entering/exiting. Any detailing/restoration kit to fix the wearing?
Appreciate 1
J-rock9.00
      12-31-2019, 11:48 PM   #15
b4hand
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by romero1990 View Post
How about leather care? My driver seat side flap is showing sign of wear. Mainly my jeans rubbing when entering/exiting. Any detailing/restoration kit to fix the wearing?
Leatherique has a kit but it is a bit involved
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 11:55 PM   #16
lancerr
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but 1z has always had plenty of power to clean. It's less about the cleaner and more about the agitation. The proof is in the pudding. Here's a before/after using the products and method I mentioned above.

Quote:

Wow.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 11:57 PM   #17
romero1990
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F25 X3

Garage List
2017 X3  [0.00]
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4hand View Post
Leatherique has a kit but it is a bit involved
Not a problem getting my hands dirty. Do you have a part#/name that I can look up for? my is fox red if that makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 01:57 AM   #18
lancerr
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
What was your interior colour? I can't seem to find Novillo leather on the colourlock website.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 09:00 AM   #19
JPWEraser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancerr View Post
Quote:
Quote:
What was your interior colour? I can't seem to find Novillo leather on the colourlock website.
I would use the form on their site to send them your VIN and use case. They'll recommend the right kit, process, and dye.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 02:14 PM   #20
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Mine was palladium silver. I ordered from Amazon. I believe there was a drop down to let me choose color.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2020, 02:50 PM   #21
lancerr
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I would use the form on their site to send them your VIN and use case. They'll recommend the right kit, process, and dye.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

got it. thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 10:53 AM   #22
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bicycle

I definitely wouldn't replace the plastic trim pieces. First remove all that B.S. Soft touch garbage that BMW is obsessed with using. I used Goo Gone and a micro fiber towel to get it all off. the plastics are all black underneath and some of them look very well without any top coatings. just do not use and abrasives or the higher strength go gone as the abrasives will scratch the surface and the high strength go gone will "bleach" the plastic. when you get all the soft touch crap off you can either wrap it with vinyl or paint them. if you paint them you'll need some type of adhesion promoter and if you want it to look gook and last then a primer, color coat and probably a UV clear coat. Painting them would be difficult, i wouldn't recommend it unless you have experience. The next best thing would be to wrap them. you still should remove the soft touch crap and you need to make sure the surface is completely smooth and free or any scratches or uneven surfaces as the vinyl totally magnifies them. I would suggest using a color close to what the plastic is, either a satin black or a flat.

As for the cleaning I use compressed air, a detail brush and a vacuum. blow all the dust out with the air and the brush then vacuum it out and then use a mild cleaner.

Here is a shoot of my vinyl wrapped center console and my steering wheel to show how small surface imperfections are wildly visible. Ill be redoing the steering wheel.

-Mark
Appreciate 0