BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > Private Sellers - For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Wheels and Tires Items

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-05-2020, 01:24 PM   #1
Brandonw720
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 coupe

Looking for BBS/guidance

Hey guys,

This is a looking for/request for help post.

I'm looking for some quality BBS LMRs or similar (HRE, possibly some Volks or Advans) wheels with a fairly agressive fitment for an e92 m3. I'm thinking 9.5f and 10.5/11 rear, open to smaller diameter 18s in volks but probably larger diameter (19/20) for LMs or LMRs.

I live in Canada and am new to purchasing items from forums. How do these transactions typically get handled to minimize potential risk? Is PayPal the best bet and are there any tips to help guide me through this process?

Thanks for any insight!

Cheers,

Brandon
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 08:15 PM   #2
pb_e46
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW M3

That's too bad you post this now, I just sold a set of TE37 to someone down in Cali but I'm from Vancouver BC haha.

Best sizing is a 18x9.5 +22 on a 275 35 and 18x10.5 +20 on a 295 30. Otherwise for 19's like BBS LM or LMR, 19x9.5 +22 on 275 30 and 19x11 +25 on 295 30.

Best way to go about it is Paypal plus the 4% protection coverage so you are safe. I usually order to Point Roberts WA and pick up, but since you're in Kelowna it isn't very doable haha. You're gonna have to pay a lot for shipping and duties etc.

2004 M3 | Mysticblau | Cinnamon | 6MT | Brembo GT | IG: @pb_e46
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 12:12 AM   #3
Andrew
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 / E92 M3

Garage List
2003 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'm going to be listing my E88 soon.
18x10 ET12 / 18x11 ET24 w/ 265/35/18 / 195/30/18.
#slicerspec
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 02:16 PM   #4
Brandonw720
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_e46 View Post
That's too bad you post this now, I just sold a set of TE37 to someone down in Cali but I'm from Vancouver BC haha.

Best sizing is a 18x9.5 +22 on a 275 35 and 18x10.5 +20 on a 295 30. Otherwise for 19's like BBS LM or LMR, 19x9.5 +22 on 275 30 and 19x11 +25 on 295 30.

Best way to go about it is Paypal plus the 4% protection coverage so you are safe. I usually order to Point Roberts WA and pick up, but since you're in Kelowna it isn't very doable haha. You're gonna have to pay a lot for shipping and duties etc.

Awesome info thank you very much!! I figured there's a lot of folks doing this so it's got to be reasonably safe.

Cheers,

Brandon
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 10:20 AM   #5
Brandonw720
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM3 View Post
I'm going to be listing my E88 soon.
18x10 ET12 / 18x11 ET24 w/ 265/35/18 / 195/30/18.
#slicerspec
Very nice setup - I am running H & R lowering springs with stock EDC, probably will be sticking with my suspension setup so I don't think these will work for me.

Cheers,

Brandon
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 10:12 PM   #6
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonw720 View Post
Hey guys,

This is a looking for/request for help post.

I'm looking for some quality BBS LMRs or similar (HRE, possibly some Volks or Advans) wheels with a fairly agressive fitment for an e92 m3. I'm thinking 9.5f and 10.5/11 rear, open to smaller diameter 18s in volks but probably larger diameter (19/20) for LMs or LMRs.

I live in Canada and am new to purchasing items from forums. How do these transactions typically get handled to minimize potential risk? Is PayPal the best bet and are there any tips to help guide me through this process?

Thanks for any insight!

Cheers,

Brandon
Sir, I have purchased two sets of Brand New BBS wheels from Johnston Research and Performance. They have an office in the Ontario and are a Canadian BBS reseller. I recommend them.

http://store.jrponline.com/webstore/

I am currently running a diamond silver BBS LM 19x9 ET 27 which is not that aggressive but I think works well with a stock M3 with no issues or whatsoever. In the rear, I run a 19x10 ET 25 which is bone stock but they make an 11 inch wide offset 25 and a 9.5 front offset 22 which is pretty gnarly. Personally I don't like the wheels sticking out past the fenders or the rubbing etc but that's what makes this "hobby" cool, you can do what you want.

If you want this for looks, then most people like the aggressive look. I personally have over-tired some of my previous N/A cars and yes the adhesion was better and I could carry more speed on some sweepers but ironically I found it less fun. Being able to break the rears loose when I wanted was fun, low speed drifts etc. Once you over-tire the speeds go up, the danger goes up and the fun goes down in my humble opinion.

The 1M uses the same hubs, wheels, tires and offsets as the E90 M3 in case you didn't know that but unlike the E90, thraction is a problem sometimes in the 1M.

Here are some pictures of my car with the BBS LMs. The come with gold caps but I like the silver on Carbon caps more, so I bought those extra.

PS. My 1M is Canadian also

Finally I missed your question about buying from the forums. I have been on this and other forums for over 15 years and have purchased a lot of things. I am very picky and I am still shocked at what people call "mint" etc. I regularly see people say things like "normal curbage" ?? maybe normal for them, I have 4 cars and the only one with even a little curbage is my wife's car and the body shop did it when it went in for a bumper re-spray. So my advice to you as far as buying on the forums is if you are very picky, see the product in person or have a friend view them for you first. If you have low expectations then you will be pleasantly suprised sometimes. Of course there are dishonest people everywhere but even with honest people, they have different interpretations of mint, undamaged, new, etc. I bought a wheel once and asked if it had any damage and I was told it was not bent. I received it, mounted it and after a washing them, I see silver paint on the wash mitt and black coming through the wheel. I see a lot wheels that are freshly powdercoated. Personally, I would never buy them without knowing who did it. I would rather buy the wheel and have it repainted myself so I can pick the right place to do it and know exactly the extent of damage. Forged wheels especially are affected by high temperatures from powdercoating and I have seen the powdercoat flake off in chunks sometimes if not done correctly. Yes people do it all the time but you asked for opinions, and that is mine. I personally contacted BBS-USA and they firmly told me that they do not recommend powdercoating their forged wheels. Their advice was to treat them like a car and use regular paint processes.

So that's my advice, have low expecations, be pleasantly surprised and don't spend more than you are willing to lose. Some people on the forum have good reputations and that has worked out for me in the past but as I mentioned, people have wildly different definitions of "mint".

Paypal has been OK, but it costs money and usually the seller wants you to pay the difference. 3% on $3K is $90 USD. Some people have had issues with paypal, but I still think it's worth it to have some recourse if things go awry.

I have shipped items to Canada and despite NAFTA, I am shocked at how expensive it is and you have to fill out customs forms so that can complicate matters more so I would try to stay within Canada unless you get a crazy good deal somewhere.

Anwyay, I hope some of this info helps and hope you find your BBS wheels.

Best wishes.
Attached Images

Last edited by nachob; 01-09-2020 at 10:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
dozaiya236.00
      01-09-2020, 11:25 PM   #7
HELROTM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1995 e36 M3

slicer can help
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 01:20 PM   #8
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Thanks HELROTM3

The best option / spec depends on your car setup. I see that you have H&R springs on stock suspension. That setup is relatively fitment friendly given that the stock suspension has maximum inner clearance (coil overs generally reduce inner clearance due to spring placement). However you don't have much camber so that will limit you. I would recommend at least removing the alignment pins on your OE top mounts in order to give yourself a little front camber. Ideally you would have camber plates to get to -2 degrees but pulling the pins will get you to around -1.7 at your ride height.

All that being said, I think all of the wheel options you are considering are great - high quality. I'm partial to BBS but I have had all of the other options you listed.

Recommended spec - that depends on the wheel you choose. As each brand/model has different options. You can PM me if you wish to discuss further.

Shipping to Canada - It's a challenge to ship outside the country. I typically ship to the border and have the buyer take it from there. There are numerous companies along the border that specialize in receiving and importing.

Buying Used - There are always risks involved. The best way to avoid issues is to buy from a trusted seller. There are handful of people on the forum with lots of selling history. I'm not sure if you know that there is itrader feedback available for each forum member. There's a link under the forum member's avatar. It's not visible on the App. You need to use the online version of the forum to access. The other thing to do is ask for lots of pictures and ideally videos. Specifically ask for pics of any flaws present. I agree that standard PayPal is nice peace of mind given that there are buyer (and seller) protections. That's by far the most common form of payment I see. However most of my transactions are done without fees as I have a long history buying/selling. I would only pay via that method with a trusted seller.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M

Last edited by slicer; 01-10-2020 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 08:35 PM   #9
Brandonw720
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Sir, I have purchased two sets of Brand New BBS wheels from Johnston Research and Performance. They have an office in the Ontario and are a Canadian BBS reseller. I recommend them.

I am currently running a diamond silver BBS LM 19x9 ET 27 which is not that aggressive but I think works well with a stock M3 with no issues or whatsoever. In the rear, I run a 19x10 ET 25 which is bone stock but they make an 11 inch wide offset 25 and a 9.5 front offset 22 which is pretty gnarly. Personally I don't like the wheels sticking out past the fenders or the rubbing etc but that's what makes this "hobby" cool, you can do what you want.

If you want this for looks, then most people like the aggressive look. I personally have over-tired some of my previous N/A cars and yes the adhesion was better and I could carry more speed on some sweepers but ironically I found it less fun. Being able to break the rears loose when I wanted was fun, low speed drifts etc. Once you over-tire the speeds go up, the danger goes up and the fun goes down in my humble opinion.

The 1M uses the same hubs, wheels, tires and offsets as the E90 M3 in case you didn't know that but unlike the E90, thraction is a problem sometimes in the 1M.

Here are some pictures of my car with the BBS LMs. The come with gold caps but I like the silver on Carbon caps more, so I bought those extra.

Finally I missed your question about buying from the forums. I have been on this and other forums for over 15 years and have purchased a lot of things. I am very picky and I am still shocked at what people call "mint" etc. I regularly see people say things like "normal curbage" ?? maybe normal for them, I have 4 cars and the only one with even a little curbage is my wife's car and the body shop did it when it went in for a bumper re-spray. So my advice to you as far as buying on the forums is if you are very picky, see the product in person or have a friend view them for you first. If you have low expectations then you will be pleasantly suprised sometimes. Of course there are dishonest people everywhere but even with honest people, they have different interpretations of mint, undamaged, new, etc. I bought a wheel once and asked if it had any damage and I was told it was not bent. I received it, mounted it and after a washing them, I see silver paint on the wash mitt and black coming through the wheel. I see a lot wheels that are freshly powdercoated. Personally, I would never buy them without knowing who did it. I would rather buy the wheel and have it repainted myself so I can pick the right place to do it and know exactly the extent of damage. Forged wheels especially are affected by high temperatures from powdercoating and I have seen the powdercoat flake off in chunks sometimes if not done correctly. Yes people do it all the time but you asked for opinions, and that is mine. I personally contacted BBS-USA and they firmly told me that they do not recommend powdercoating their forged wheels. Their advice was to treat them like a car and use regular paint processes.

So that's my advice, have low expecations, be pleasantly surprised and don't spend more than you are willing to lose. Some people on the forum have good reputations and that has worked out for me in the past but as I mentioned, people have wildly different definitions of "mint".

Paypal has been OK, but it costs money and usually the seller wants you to pay the difference. 3% on $3K is $90 USD. Some people have had issues with paypal, but I still think it's worth it to have some recourse if things go awry.

I have shipped items to Canada and despite NAFTA, I am shocked at how expensive it is and you have to fill out customs forms so that can complicate matters more so I would try to stay within Canada unless you get a crazy good deal somewhere.

Best wishes.
Thank you for this input, it is very well received. Your car is very nicely setup. Love the wheel choice and spec you went with. I appreciate the recommendation for the canadian vendor and will definetly check them out. Theres something to be said for spending a little more and going with brand new. I'm leaning pretty heavily towards BBS wheels. To my eye these cars look best with this type of wheel versus a Japanese looking wheel - I do like imports and if I had a GTR I'd be looking at Volks or advan closer.

I just need to put some though towards diameter. I like the meaty look of 18s along with the performance and ride benefits, the practicality of 19s (potential reuse my newish tires) and the looks of 20s. Hmmmmmm.

I'll certainly post what I end up doing.

Cheers,

Brandon
Appreciate 1
nachob2316.00
      01-10-2020, 10:01 PM   #10
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonw720 View Post
Quote:

Best wishes.
Thank you for this input, it is very well received. Your car is very nicely setup. Love the wheel choice and spec you went with. I appreciate the recommendation for the canadian vendor and will definetly check them out. Theres something to be said for spending a little more and going with brand new. I'm leaning pretty heavily towards BBS wheels. To my eye these cars look best with this type of wheel versus a Japanese looking wheel - I do like imports and if I had a GTR I'd be looking at Volks or advan closer.

I just need to put some though towards diameter. I like the meaty look of 18s along with the performance and ride benefits, the practicality of 19s (potential reuse my newish tires) and the looks of 20s. Hmmmmmm.

I'll certainly post what I end up doing.

Cheers,

Brandon
Thank you. As a performance guy myself I also prefer 18s but they don't make the LM s for our cars in the offsets and width I wanted so went with 19s. Another reason for a lighter 18" wheel is the car rides better with sidewalls and if you don't go nuts on tires they are lighter overall which helps the m3 spool up quicker. BBS makes the RI-A in 18x10.5 et 25 and 18x9.5 in et 22. In the US they only carry the matte grey but you can special order them from Japan if you can wait a few months in Silver and Diamond silver. They also make an 18x9.5 et 27 which I feel is a better offset for the m3 than the et 22 everyone runs. It is closer to the geometrical centerline of our cars but again only special order. These would've been the wiser performance choice especially with terrible roads in San Diego and my previous experience with 18's where the car handled better on real world roads but you can see I still ended up with the LMs. I always loved the timeless beauty of these wheels as you mentioned, they belong on a German car.

These wheels are expensive but there is nothing like opening them out of the box when they are like perfect jewels. I waited 3 months for mine because I wanted the special order 9" wide front vs the common 8.5" one. I originally went that route because everyone says just use wheel spacers to make them look good but I found going half inch narrower and adding a 10mm spacer still looked great but it made the steering a bit lighter on center and then heavier on the sweepers. Since steering feel is one things that makes our cars special I sold those and went with the 9" front in et27 whereas the stock is 9" et31.

Yes it was a lot of money but now that I have them I'm glad o went new and got exactly what I want.
And after waiting 3 months....opening the box was worth it in the end. : )

Best of luck! I hope you get yours and if you have any other questions feel free to post or even PM.

Also here are pics from BBS Japan site since they don't carry these colors in North America but if you are willing to wait, you can special order these. The Matte Grey is stocked but personally I think the Silver is the best.

https://bbs-japan.co.jp/en/products/1135/
Attached Images

Last edited by nachob; 01-10-2020 at 10:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 06:38 AM   #11
Brandonw720
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. As a performance guy myself I also prefer 18s but they don't make the LM s for our cars in the offsets and width I wanted so went with 19s. Another reason for a lighter 18" wheel is the car rides better with sidewalls and if you don't go nuts on tires they are lighter overall which helps the m3 spool up quicker. BBS makes the RI-A in 18x10.5 et 25 and 18x9.5 in et 22. In the US they only carry the matte grey but you can special order them from Japan if you can wait a few months in Silver and Diamond silver. They also make an 18x9.5 et 27 which I feel is a better offset for the m3 than the et 22 everyone runs. It is closer to the geometrical centerline of our cars but again only special order. These would've been the wiser performance choice especially with terrible roads in San Diego and my previous experience with 18's where the car handled better on real world roads but you can see I still ended up with the LMs. I always loved the timeless beauty of these wheels as you mentioned, they belong on a German car.

These wheels are expensive but there is nothing like opening them out of the box when they are like perfect jewels. I waited 3 months for mine because I wanted the special order 9" wide front vs the common 8.5" one. I originally went that route because everyone says just use wheel spacers to make them look good but I found going half inch narrower and adding a 10mm spacer still looked great but it made the steering a bit lighter on center and then heavier on the sweepers. Since steering feel is one things that makes our cars special I sold those and went with the 9" front in et27 whereas the stock is 9" et31.

Yes it was a lot of money but now that I have them I'm glad o went new and got exactly what I want.
And after waiting 3 months....opening the box was worth it in the end. : )

Best of luck! I hope you get yours and if you have any other questions feel free to post or even PM.

Also here are pics from BBS Japan site since they don't carry these colors in North America but if you are willing to wait, you can special order these. The Matte Grey is stocked but personally I think the Silver is the best.

https://bbs-japan.co.jp/en/products/1135/
I must say the silver looks amazing! So bright. Man I love these wheels lol! Thanks for the additional info, I am leaning towards the more aggressive setup as the stock wheel offset/width ratio has a sunken look which I want to avoid - if that's what you ment by bone stock relative to the 10 et 25. Also I think the wider wheel will have a deeper lip, not sure if this is true or substantial enough to justify the added tire. Oh and I definetly want to avoid running spacers as well. I mean I have them on my stock wheels now but would rather not run them, especially dropping this kind of money on wheels.

Thanks again Nachob!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 06:40 AM   #12
Brandonw720
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Thanks HELROTM3

The best option / spec depends on your car setup. I see that you have H&R springs on stock suspension. That setup is relatively fitment friendly given that the stock suspension has maximum inner clearance (coil overs generally reduce inner clearance due to spring placement). However you don't have much camber so that will limit you. I would recommend at least removing the alignment pins on your OE top mounts in order to give yourself a little front camber. Ideally you would have camber plates to get to -2 degrees but pulling the pins will get you to around -1.7 at your ride height.

All that being said, I think all of the wheel options you are considering are great - high quality. I'm partial to BBS but I have had all of the other options you listed.

Recommended spec - that depends on the wheel you choose. As each brand/model has different options. You can PM me if you wish to discuss further.

Shipping to Canada - It's a challenge to ship outside the country. I typically ship to the border and have the buyer take it from there. There are numerous companies along the border that specialize in receiving and importing.

Buying Used - There are always risks involved. The best way to avoid issues is to buy from a trusted seller. There are handful of people on the forum with lots of selling history. I'm not sure if you know that there is itrader feedback available for each forum member. There's a link under the forum member's avatar. It's not visible on the App. You need to use the online version of the forum to access. The other thing to do is ask for lots of pictures and ideally videos. Specifically ask for pics of any flaws present. I agree that standard PayPal is nice peace of mind given that there are buyer (and seller) protections. That's by far the most common form of payment I see. However most of my transactions are done without fees as I have a long history buying/selling. I would only pay via that method with a trusted seller.

Thanks Slicer - I will PM you!
Appreciate 0