BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-08-2020, 02:59 PM   #1
Pejule
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F15

Chrome Air Vent Trim Fix

Picked up a new to me X5 a few weeks ago and just noticed a couple days ago that a piece of silver trim on the air vent flap on the drivers side center console was missing. Searched the issue and found that it's not uncommon for them to fall off. The most common solutions I found were to replace the whole assembly or to break off the old flap and install a new clip on one. I was able to find just the silver trim on Amazon but there were no reviews. The piece looked similar enough in the picture and was available with Prime shipping so I figured I'd give it a shot. A pricy shot, $20 for a little tiny piece of plastic...

The piece arrived in a small plastic bag which was labeled f15 and lots of Chinese writing. Installed with slight pressure. I knowing it's not the original piece can tell the difference as it is slightly shinier than OEM, not cut quite as neat and ever so slightly smaller but in my mind it's a near perfect fit. I highly doubt anyone else would ever notice it wasn't the original piece.

Overall very expensive for what it is but fits great and I'm happy with it!

https://www.amazon.in/Chrome-plated-.../dp/B0827LWQFT
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 03:51 PM   #2
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Good to know - thanks for the tip. And don’t worry about the cost. You can put your mind at rest with the fix.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 01:58 PM   #3
jcvincent
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 x5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pejule View Post
I just ordered and received the same one, and I was just as happy. Restored the continuous look in the front!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 09:32 PM   #4
ponytuning
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 F16 50i, 15' F15 50i

Wish i knew about these. my right side clip was also missing and didnt notice it until after i drove the car off the lot. I ended buying the entire vent off a crashed x5 and for $50, kind of pricey for such a small piece but helps sooth my ocd.
Appreciate 0