BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-28-2020, 11:26 PM   #1
Rightlanedriver
Rep
Drives: X5 50i 2014

Does full size tire fit under the lid in trunk?

Sorry for my lazy nature, I probably can measure my tire dimensions and space under the lid in trunk, but I was just wondering if someone might already know the answer.
I don't have a spare tire. My used 2014 x5 I bought a year ago came without it and on regular ContiDWS (square setup), not on RFTs.
I somehow managed to live without puncture for a year I don't want to push my luck and I'm thinking to finally buy a spare tire. Only I was thinking to buy a full size one to not be limited by 50mph max speed and if I'll be lucky enough to find one with same rim style I have - it will even be a full replacement rather than temporary swap. Sounds convenient to me.

For jack, I'm thinking to buy this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...92IAFM3P&psc=1
It's rated at 5500lbs (3 Tonn) and it has a wrench - very convenient, as it allows to raise it easier and quicker. I looked at oem too, but oem looks a bit flimsy and is 3 times more expensive (and no wrench of course). Considering they are scissor type jacks - they should be very reliable and safe.

Last edited by Rightlanedriver; 02-28-2020 at 11:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 01:28 AM   #2
NYC_X5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘16 X5

I do not believe a full size tire will fit under the trunk compartment. I put an 18” spare and it’s already tight in there.

As far as jacks, the scissor type jacks are actually the most unsafe jacks out there.
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2020, 09:36 AM   #3
Rightlanedriver
Rep
Drives: X5 50i 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_X5 View Post
I do not believe a full size tire will fit under the trunk compartment. I put an 18” spare and it’s already tight in there.

As far as jacks, the scissor type jacks are actually the most unsafe jacks out there.
Thank you. Ordered a 18'' spare tire 155/90/18 oem. Found it on ebay, never used, for $240. Was hoping for a full size, but at least now it will fit under the lid - still better than just be without a spare at all.

Spare tire for Mazeratti costs $180, for Mercedes costs $130, for Ford and Mazda $110, for Hyundai $90, but of course for x5 it has to be no less than $240 anywhere on ebay.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 09:44 AM   #4
~ViO~
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2015 X6 50i

When i placed the BMW spare in my trunk i noticed it was a tight fit as my cubby hole was lined (but not completely flat) and there was several areas of the lining pushing the spare up.... I could close the hatch but the tire was still pushing on the hatch's cover.... Then i looked at all other X6, X5 with spares and immediately noticed they did not have the liner. So i took my spare tire back out.. But i still haven't figured out how to remove the liner where the tire sits on. If you don't have the liner the spare tire will fit perfectly flat or you have a liner that is completely flat with no protrusions... If you have the liner like mine as pictured then it needs to be removed or you wll have "some" constant pressure on the corner of the covers hinge..

I wonder if they make a replacement liner with no protrusions? I can't see what purpose those protrusions have?
Attached Images

Last edited by ~ViO~; 02-29-2020 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 10:24 AM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ViO~ View Post
I wonder if they make a replacement liner with no protrusions? I can't see what purpose those protrusions have?
EDIT: just noticed after I wrote my reply that you have two X6 BMWs...so not everything I wrote is accurate below. But you still can extrapolate what the protrusion on the right is for. You can check the X6 diagrams to see if there is a different pan for that model based on how the vehicle is optioned.

Yes they do. If you check one of the online part database sites...you'll discover that there are four different part nbrs for the item you pictured in your post.

I can tell you that one of the reasons for some of your "protrusions" is due to an obvious option pkg you have...the storage compartment pkg (aka the two rails with the 4 adjustable tie downs clamps). The protruding area you have circled on the right side or your liner is designed to store your 4 adjustable tie downs if you aren't using them in the rails.

The four types of liners are:
  1. No options
  2. Storage compartment pkg
  3. Rear comfort seat option
  4. Storage compartment pkg & rear comfort seat option

See item #1 in diagram and link to part number index below. There are 4 different part nbrs for #1 depending on how your X5 is optioned.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 02-29-2020 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-29-2020, 11:17 AM   #6
~ViO~
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2015 X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
EDIT: just noticed after I wrote my reply that you have two X6 BMWs...so not everything I wrote is accurate below. But you still can extrapolate what the protrusion on the right is for. You can check the X6 diagrams to see if there is a different pan for that model based on how the vehicle is optioned.

Yes they do. If you check one of the online part database sites...you'll discover that there are four different part nbrs for the item you pictured in your post.

I can tell you that one of the reasons for some of your "protrusions" is due to an obvious option pkg you have...the storage compartment pkg (aka the two rails with the 4 adjustable tie downs clamps). The protruding area you have circled on the right side or your liner is designed to store your 4 adjustable tie downs if you aren't using them in the rails.

The four types of liners are:
  1. No options
  2. Storage compartment pkg
  3. Rear comfort seat option
  4. Storage compartment pkg & rear comfort seat option

See item #1 in diagram and link to part number index below. There are 4 different part nbrs for #1 depending on how your X5 is optioned.

That's really good information.. I currently have a 2015 X6 50i, not a X5.... My prior BMW was an E71 X6M and was where i got my spare from.. So you think i coud swap liners to a flat one with no options? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 11:44 AM   #7
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

Spare tire was a option on the car, people have found a liner available accommodate the spare. Search the forum, you can confirm the part number with them.
i.e.
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1462955
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1129393
      02-29-2020, 11:56 AM   #8
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Naah...
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 01:49 PM   #9
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ViO~ View Post
That's really good information.. I currently have a 2015 X6 50i, not a X5.... My prior BMW was an E71 X6M and was where i got my spare from.. So you think i coud swap liners to a flat one with no options? Thank you!
I'm not that familiar with the X6 cargo area and spare tire options...so I'll refer back to the forum.

If there is a liner that can accommodate a spare for the X6...perhaps it could be swapped if there's nothing below the liner where those protrusions are...and a totally level liner would then fit unencumbered. But again, I'll refer back to the X6 owners that know what the various liners for that model look like and what is underneath the liner (is it fully flat underneath?). Hopefully they will chime in.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0