R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

04-19-2020, 05:56 PM   #1
Agamemnon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 m3 ss2 zcp full leather

Software glitch - car won’t shut off

I had a very strange event on my car today that seems inexplicable. It is a 2016 DCT comp package with only 8,000 km. I have other cars so mileage is low. I was going through a series of s bends with the car in 3rd and running at between 3,000 to 4,000 rpm. The idrive showed a yellow warning saying the collision warning was deactivated and the gauge cluster and all electronics seemed shut off although the car was drivable. Pulled off the road to see if a restart would fix it. Car became stuck in neutral, engine running and would not turn off. Door locks, window lifts, trunk lock were all off. Flatbedded it to my house about 4 km away and engine ran for another hour and a half before shutting off. Now everything seems normal. Think I would be happier with a key and a lot less electronics in these cars. Just a bunch of computer stuff to go wrong.

I am 69 so these electronics are kind of not my thing. Any ideas. It’s Sunday so I will phone the service dept tomorrow. But curious if any forum members have had anything like this happen.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 07:05 PM   #2
Agamemnon
Captain
Canada
Rep

So, my BMW dealer has had the car for a couple of days and has had to open a case with BMW as they can't figure out what's going on. When I took the car in, all was functioning properly, and then the same malfunction. The motor was running and the DCT was running through the gears so I manage to get it in. I did notice the speedometer worked as it is probably a mechanical connection (one of the few). No turn signals or brake lights so I guess I added to the bad reputation of BMW drivers. Its like the whole electrical bus just puked. I will post further when I figure out what was wrong.
Appreciate 4
      05-02-2020, 12:33 PM   #3
Agamemnon
Captain
Canada
Rep

Latest update. BMW mothership suggested that the FEM module which controls the electrical systems in the car should be replaced. The part has been ordered but it will probably be a couple of weeks before it arrives. Everything is slowed down these days because of the Pandemic. However, there is a path forward to get my M3 up and running for some summer road trips so I feel a lot better about the outcome. In the meantime, the dealer has given me a 2020 X1 to use which is a pretty decent daily driver.
Appreciate 2
nioh_lbbm21716.50
Kilabyte3949.00
      05-03-2020, 02:36 PM   #4
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

damn I wish i would've seen this thread earlier. I was going to guess the FEM then I saw your last post.
I've had mine out a few times and it controls everything you mentioned.
Appreciate 1
Agamemnon175.00
      05-03-2020, 02:58 PM   #5
Agamemnon
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthen0thing View Post
damn I wish i would've seen this thread earlier. I was going to guess the FEM then I saw your last post.
I've had mine out a few times and it controls everything you mentioned.
I read up about the FEM and all the systems controlled by it. Learning new things about modern automobile engineering all the time. Mechanical systems are easier to figure out than modern electronics. I wonder if there is a fuse I can pull to shut the motor off if this should ever happen again.

Anyway, I am still under the manufacturer's warranty so that is good as the FEM seems to cost around US$600 - $700 plus labour and coding so it will be an expensive fix. Since I always planned to keep the car for awhile, I am glad I purchased an extra 3 year warranty at the outset. Then, maybe go for a G80 after a mid cycle refresh. We shall see - the future is certainly a big question mark for all of us at this time.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 03:06 PM   #6
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

The FEM has a bunch of fuses on it. It's not quick to access though.
If you had access to the FEM you could remove one of the cannon plugs, theres about 4-6 of them on it, and it supplies voltage to a relay board which supplies voltage to your DME.
Appreciate 2
Agamemnon175.00
tbaig79.50
      05-09-2020, 12:41 PM   #7
Agamemnon
Captain
Canada
Rep

Car is back from the dealership with a new FEM. Shop foreman took the car home for extended test drive with my blessing. All seems fine now. I just need to put my preferences back in for the M1, M2 buttons.
Appreciate 0