Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-23-2020, 08:48 PM   #1
rommeeeezy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F97 X3M Comp

BEWARE - SCAMMER - User Name Lazano

This is a just a PSA to all users to beware of dealing with a user named Lazano

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/member.php?u=421786

Not sure what the rules are on this for reporting a user for scamming, but long story short... Was interested in purchasing wheels (Apex SM10 19" wheels in Anthracite with Toyo R888R tires. We were attempting to do the sale through Zelle, (I typically only do online transactions through PayPal, but figured, if someone had another preference I could make the 1% exception on this and do it thorugh their transaction).

However, beacuse of Zelle's transfer limits per day, it would require multiple transfers for the whole transactions.

We agreed that the purchase price of the wheels would be $1600 shipped. Seemed like a great deal for me, so I decided that we could wire transfer instead of Zelle if we wanted to get the deal done sooner. Naively, I thought that the bank would have my back, but unfortunately, not.

I have their bank information (both routing and account), wire information, address, email, and plenty of text exchanges and emails corroborating my case.

At the end of it, they never shipped me the wheels and kept the $1600. I gave them ultimatum after ultimatum and checked in regular to see if they would provide a tracking number, but they (lazano) kept stalling.

I bank with Wells Fargo, and figured I could try to initiate a fraud claim through the bank, but Southern States Bank (The bank the money was transferred to) is playing corporate hard ball and states that they do not have right to request the money back as it was "initiated on my part". So I'm out of luck on this through my banking institution, which is fairly upsetting.

I've also filed a local police report in Sacramento, CA, and will eventually file another local police report in Denver, CO (where the suspect provided their address as).

At the end of the day, this isn't a damaging amount money to me. I'm blessed to be able to call this a horrible decision and just jot it down as a learning experience to never waver from doing it through a secure third-party transaction entity. But, I would hate this to happen to someone else if I didn't speak up about it. I consider myself a fairly bright (at times) and cautious person, but I think sometimes haste and impatience gets the better of everyone.

If anyone has any tips, help, or experience with dealing with this type of stuff, feel free to reach out to me. I've tried to contact him/them but the suspect has been unresponsive, and continues to stall with excuses about why they can't refund me the money.

TL;DR - Scammed by user Lazano paid through a wire (I know stupid move). Seeking compensation, or at least some level of justice.
Appreciate 6
The_Werm214.00
Der_Wolf888.00
Rus.K54.50
Snake882.50
      04-23-2020, 09:42 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rommeeeezy View Post

Not sure what the rules are on this for reporting a user for scamming, but long story short... Was interested in purchasing wheels (Apex SM10 19" wheels in Anthracite with Toyo R888R tires. We were attempting to do the sale through Zelle, (I typically only do online transactions through PayPal, but figured, if someone had another preference I could make the 1% exception on this and do it thorugh their transaction).

However, beacuse of Zelle's transfer limits per day, it would require multiple transfers for the whole transactions.

We agreed that the purchase price of the wheels would be $1600 shipped. Seemed like a great deal for me, so I decided that we could wire transfer instead of Zelle if we wanted to get the deal done sooner. Naively, I thought that the bank would have my back, but unfortunately, not.

I have their bank information (both routing and account), wire information, address, email, and plenty of text exchanges and emails corroborating my case.

At the end of it, they never shipped me the wheels and kept the $1600. I gave them ultimatum after ultimatum and checked in regular to see if they would provide a tracking number, but they (lazano) kept stalling.

I bank with Wells Fargo, and figured I could try to initiate a fraud claim through the bank, but Southern States Bank (The bank the money was transferred to) is playing corporate hard ball and states that they do not have right to request the money back as it was "initiated on my part". So I'm out of luck on this through my banking institution, which is fairly upsetting.

I've also filed a local police report in Sacramento, CA, and will eventually file another local police report in Denver, CO (where the suspect provided their address as).

At the end of the day, this isn't a damaging amount money to me. I'm blessed to be able to call this a horrible decision and just jot it down as a learning experience to never waver from doing it through a secure third-party transaction entity. But, I would hate this to happen to someone else if I didn't speak up about it. I consider myself a fairly bright (at times) and cautious person, but I think sometimes haste and impatience gets the better of everyone.

If anyone has any tips, help, or experience with dealing with this type of stuff, feel free to reach out to me. I've tried to contact him/them but the suspect has been unresponsive, and continues to stall with excuses about why they can't refund me the money.

TL;DR - Scammed by user Lazano paid through a wire (I know stupid move). Seeking compensation, or at least some level of justice.
Unfortunately you violated about every rule of doing a safe transaction on the internet.

What made you think it was safe to send someone with 2 posts money for an item without protecting yourself?
Appreciate 4
9M711235.00
tbaig79.50
Laoschris491.00
      04-23-2020, 09:48 PM   #3
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

Holy fuck, I got done for $160. on some TPMS sensors on this forum but that’s over the top for me. I would be tracking that bitch down.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 09:52 PM   #4
rommeeeezy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Unfortunately you violated about every rule of doing a safe transaction on the internet.

What made you think it was safe to send someone with 2 posts money for an item without protecting yourself?
Yeah, I know it was a gigantically dumb naive decision.

I think it was just too much faith in my bank having my back, as I've had to do chargebacks in the past for random other online exchanges.

Add'l you would think that two U.S. banking institutions could reach an agreement and I could send them all the evidence and they could say "hey it's $1,600". But again, a little too naive.

On the bright side, stimulus check covers all of this for me, so I guess it's a net-zero decision from a yearly budget standpoint for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 09:55 PM   #5
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Yeah, I know it was a gigantically dumb naive decision.

I think it was just too much faith in my bank having my back, as I've had to do chargebacks in the past for random other online exchanges.

Add'l you would think that two U.S. banking institutions could reach an agreement and I could send them all the evidence and they could say "hey it's $1,600". But again, a little too naive.

On the bright side, stimulus check covers all of this for me, so I guess it's a net-zero decision from a yearly budget standpoint for me.
You cannot do chargebacks on a wire or electronic transfer like zelle.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 09:56 PM   #6
rommeeeezy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
You cannot do chargebacks on a wire or electronic transfer like zelle.
Yup, found that out the hard way.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2020, 10:04 PM   #7
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

I wouldn’t trust the banks. I had two checks stolen that were mailed at a post office in the Houston area this January. The checks were written from my Chase bank account and cashed at Chase banks in the Houston area. One check for $630 the other for $1500+ In the Houston area. One check even shows it was declined on being cashed at a Chase bank before it was cashed at another Chase bank.
Chase has provided me no documentation other than saying they are waiting on more documentation from me when they fucked up.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 10:26 PM   #8
rommeeeezy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suds View Post
I wouldn’t trust the banks. I had two checks stolen that were mailed at a post office in the Houston area this January. The checks were written from my Chase bank account and cashed at Chase banks in the Houston area. One check for $630 the other for $1500+ In the Houston area. One check even shows it was declined on being cashed at a Chase bank before it was cashed at another Chase bank.
Chase has provided me no documentation other than saying they are waiting on more documentation from me when they fucked up.
Ahh, shoot man, sorry to hear. Hope you're able to get that resolved. I haven't dealt with anything like that before.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 10:26 PM   #9
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Damn that's shitty! It's always a gamble buying on the net, but I try and limit my person to person transactions to around $500. At least this way if it goes south it's not like being out $1600😞
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 10:29 PM   #10
rommeeeezy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by icegrill View Post
Damn that's shitty! It's always a gamble buying on the net, but I try and limit my person to person transactions to around $500. At least this way if it goes south it's not like being out $1600😞
Yeah, honestly, I'm usually not this trustworthy, but I think I just had too much faith in the system and also possibly just a fellow human.

Again, stimulus check kind of nets this to zero between my wife and I. So at the end of the day I'm really not out any more money than what I had planned to make /spend this year. Just a bummer from an opportunity cost standpoint.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 01:08 AM   #11
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Paypal only. Always.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 2
      04-24-2020, 09:41 AM   #12
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Threads like these just validate my approach lately to either dealing person to person or buying from a retailer for larger $$$ items.

I always click on user name and check post count, limit to PayPal, deal p2p, or it better be someone I’ve seen around these forums for a while (and I’ve been here a while lol).

Sucks you got burned. Still a lot more honest sellers here than not but you have to do your due diligence.
Appreciate 2
$hah$101.50
      04-24-2020, 10:02 AM   #13
rommeeeezy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Threads like these just validate my approach lately to either dealing person to person or buying from a retailer for larger $$$ items.

I always click on user name and check post count, limit to PayPal, deal p2p, or it better be someone I’ve seen around these forums for a while (and I’ve been here a while lol).

Sucks you got burned. Still a lot more honest sellers here than not but you have to do your due diligence.
Yeah. I think for some reason also, a small part of the complacency and lax-ness of the deal was because I thought this would be a fairly niche platform to scam someone.

I think I will forever be in my checklist of verifications. I ended up buying some wheels a week later from Apex and felt dumb that I went through all this hassle.

The risk factor was way too high for the reward of saving 5-600 dollars on tires also.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 10:09 AM   #14
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:

Quote:

Please send $100 to me.

You won't miss it.

It's like a penny to you
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 10:49 AM   #15
Gotmpower
Rich
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Sorry to hear that it happened to you! I freakin hate scammers!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 10:53 AM   #16
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

At the end of the day, this isn't a damaging amount money to me. I'm blessed to be able to call this a horrible decision and just jot it down as a learning experience to never waver from doing it through a secure third-party transaction entity.

Stimulus checks really?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 11:59 AM   #17
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
yanno, on that guy's profile he says he owns a "navy blue" M5, dead giveaway right there when he didn't say "kriegsmarine blau".
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2020, 02:55 PM   #18
icebiker
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 6MT

@rommeeeezy Sorry to hear of your troubles. I work in banking. Wires are one of my products, There are certain steps you can take to push your case along. I'll PM you.
Appreciate 4
Der_Wolf888.00
c12h231.00
dezzracer1184.00
      04-24-2020, 03:06 PM   #19
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

I’ll assure you that the reputable sellers here can be trusted. You can definitely trust me and others for any of your needs. Best of luck to this resolution and hope the mods do their job of banning who needs to be banned
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2020, 12:10 AM   #20
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Sorry to hear your situation. But I completely understand why you wired the money thinking it was legit.

Just a brief detour, but my second hobby is watches and it is quite common for people to wire large sums of money to buy them from "strangers". But the rule of thumb is to buy the seller. See if they have references, IG accounts, etc. Obviously, easier said than done, so don't beat yourself up too badly.

At least you're fortunate enough that losing this amount is "bearable".
      04-25-2020, 12:32 AM   #21
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Ugh man you learned the hard way. Yeah big transactions I never do unless super steal and always PayPal. Well at least you taking it well, on to the next one
Appreciate 1
DML967.50
      04-25-2020, 04:53 PM   #22
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

2 posts selling $1600 item, accepting only wire transfer. Huge red flag