ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

06-10-2020, 04:52 PM   #1
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Brake Fluid Service Interval

BMW recommends to first service the brake fluid at 3 years/30k then 2 years and 20k after that. I just bought a used F82 (4 yo and 32k miles) and CBS tells me I have another year from now until I have to change it (2021 so it got changed 2019 I guess).

Is the general consensus to follow what BMW says? I've heard that some people change brake fluid every year or even more often than that, on these forums.

I don't track but I daily drive this, very hard. Is 2 years safe or do any of you do yearly changes and why?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 04:59 PM   #2
Tanzif80
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdrdf82 View Post
BMW recommends to first service the brake fluid at 3 years/30k then 2 years and 20k after that. I just bought a used F82 (4 yo and 32k miles) and CBS tells me I have another year from now until I have to change it (2021 so it got changed 2019 I guess).

Is the general consensus to follow what BMW says? I've heard that some people change brake fluid every year or even more often than that, on these forums.

I don't track but I daily drive this, very hard. Is 2 years safe or do any of you do yearly changes and why?
I do mine every year because I track it. I know you say you daily drive it hard but IMO unless you do multiple hard stops from 100+ mph consecutively And often you aren’t going to Get the fluid hot enough to boil it and fade the brakes. I would just go with what BMW recommends. But if somehow you really drive it that hard on the street And the brakes are fading on you and the pads are smoking and squealing then you should probably change it yearly.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 05:01 PM   #3
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanzif80 View Post
Quote:

I do mine every year because I track it. I know you say you daily drive it hard but IMO unless you do multiple hard stops from 100+ mph consecutively And often you aren’t going to Get the fluid hot enough to boil it and fade the brakes. I would just go with what BMW recommends. But if somehow you really drive it that hard on the street And the brakes are fading on you and the pads are smoking and squealing then you should probably change it yearly.
Thanks for your input. I think you're right just stick with BMW but it's hard to trust them bc they stretched all these numbers out as soon as they started paying for their maintenance for the first 3-4 years.

Also, is it normal for these brakes to make a little noise ? Like I'll be very light on the brake pedal stopping and it makes a very faint whistling type noise. Very minimal pressure
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 07:02 PM   #4
Tanzif80
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

I get the occasional squealing from the brakes when I put very light pressure on the pedal. It’s just the pads and rotors resonating a bit. I wouldn’t worry about it. I would worry if you were getting a scraping sound. The brake fluid interval they recommend isn’t too bad for street driving. I don’t go by their oil change interval tho. I do mine every 5k or so depending on how many track days I did.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 03:33 AM   #5
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanzif80 View Post
I get the occasional squealing from the brakes when I put very light pressure on the pedal. It's just the pads and rotors resonating a bit. I wouldn't worry about it. I would worry if you were getting a scraping sound. The brake fluid interval they recommend isn't too bad for street driving. I don't go by their oil change interval tho. I do mine every 5k or so depending on how many track days I did.
I use OEM engine oil. Looking to keep my car long term hope it's good for that.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 12:59 PM   #6
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:

If you really want to know if your brake fluid is bad, you can test it with brake fluid tester. 99% of the time, it's still good. Unless you're tracking it and boiling your brake fluid, your brake fluid can last 2 years easily for daily driving.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42993.00
      06-16-2020, 04:17 AM   #7
behindthen0thing
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

when in doubt. change it out
Appreciate 0