Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-15-2020, 04:30 PM   #1
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Back ordered BMW Parts

Has anyone had trouble sourcing any parts from BMW wether in canada or the USA.

It has been over 5 weeks of waiting on a shock absorber here in canada and no one knows the whereabouts of this part other then that it is in transit.

Just wanting to see if anyone is also struggling
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 06:09 PM   #2
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

4 weeks for an interior trim piece out of Germany for me
Appreciate 1
Poiseuille5393.50
      06-15-2020, 07:23 PM   #3
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Just overnight parts from Japan. Problem solved.
Appreciate 2
cotmfk2058.50
tebbnsx719.00
      06-15-2020, 07:26 PM   #4
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

parts for almost every car is a disaster right now.
Appreciate 1
mdemon245.50
      06-15-2020, 07:57 PM   #5
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by karma View Post
They had to commandeer all that plastic for the new G series grills
Appreciate 8
NickyC17639.00
VChenz180.50
RickFLM410998.50
Poiseuille5393.50
doug_9992544.50
      06-16-2020, 05:15 AM   #6
RevNev
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Parts on back order from Germany in the Australian dealer networks are slow at the moment, but I've sourced everything I've needed from the UK and arrived in 10/12 days.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 07:43 AM   #7
VChenz
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post

It has been over 5 weeks of waiting on a shock absorber here in canada and no one knows the whereabouts of this part other then that it is in transit.

Same boat boss. Been waiting 4 weeks to have my strut mounts replaced. And the parts are all on backorder. What's worse is the M car is low volume for my dealership so they don't stock anything - they order everything for each job.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 07:46 AM   #8
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChenz View Post
Quote:

Same boat boss. Been waiting 4 weeks to have my strut mounts replaced. And the parts are all on backorder. What's worse is the M car is low volume for my dealership so they don't stock anything - they order everything for each job.
Damn. Does your comes with an ETA? At this point id rather have just said fuck it, paid the money and went full coilovers
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 10:47 AM   #9
VChenz
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Damn. Does your comes with an ETA? At this point id rather have just said fuck it, paid the money and went full coilovers
so i dropped my car off on May 19, they diagnosed the issue on May 20 - told me parts are back ordered and would take 7-10 days.

AFTER 10 days, I follow up to see what the status is. No response. So I follow up again and get a response that they had to escalate to BMW AG and were awaiting a response. Next day they get a response back, 7-15 business days (from June 6th). They have a backlog on spares. I asked if they could speed up the shipping and they said its being shipped as fast as it can...

I'm holding off on any judgement because many suppliers did shut down during the COVID pandemic and most auto suppliers subscribe to a "just in time" inventory management approach. Im just annoyed because i only drive my car in the summer and Im essentially losing a third of my driving time. AND with the lockdown, the only enjoyable thing I could do is go out for a ride.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 10:56 AM   #10
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
so i dropped my car off on May 19, they diagnosed the issue on May 20 - told me parts are back ordered and would take 7-10 days.

AFTER 10 days, I follow up to see what the status is. No response. So I follow up again and get a response that they had to escalate to BMW AG and were awaiting a response. Next day they get a response back, 7-15 business days (from June 6th). They have a backlog on spares. I asked if they could speed up the shipping and they said its being shipped as fast as it can...

I'm holding off on any judgement because many suppliers did shut down during the COVID pandemic and most auto suppliers subscribe to a "just in time" inventory management approach. Im just annoyed because i only drive my car in the summer and Im essentially losing a third of my driving time. AND with the lockdown, the only enjoyable thing I could do is go out for a ride.
We are living the same life my guy, i also had it in on may 11th got the part ordered.

Told me the exact same thing 7-10 days.

I followed up at least 6 times since, and everytime they said it should be here any day now, then i finally gave up a week ago and said i do need to find out the ETA instead of every week being told it should be here anyday.

They told me that they dont have a tracking for it, its somewhere in transit and even if they did it would be wrong, not alot of accountability.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 11:47 AM   #11
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Kind of scary how quickly our society can crumble.

Think of if the water or electric company down the road can't get spare parts. Yeesh
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 11:01 PM   #12
FlyingLow78
The G8X is a disaster. 🤮
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW anymore

I recently picked up over $4K in parts and got lucky - every single one of them was just an hour away in Verona.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 10:15 PM   #13
Desborough
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Dinan

Quote:
We have the same thing going on for F83 window trims :
      06-20-2020, 11:06 AM   #14
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desborough View Post
We have the same thing going on for F83 window trims :
What part number is it?

Ordering aftersales parts even from a dealer can get real complicated, it's a much different process than for serial production. Not to mention supply chains are in shambles right now due to the virus & stuff.
      06-20-2020, 11:33 AM   #15
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post

Ordering aftersales parts even from a dealer can get real complicated, it's a much different process than for serial production. Not to mention supply chains are in shambles right now due to the virus & stuff.
It must depend on the manufacturer and the specific part.

I got brake ducting parts for my p car next day with no issues
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 01:01 PM   #16
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
It must depend on the manufacturer and the specific part.

I got brake ducting parts for my p car next day with no issues
Of course it does depend, yes. They most likely had your part in the USA already.

Don't wanna mansplain but here goes:

If local dealer doesn't have it in stock, order is placed with PCNA, if PCNA doesn't have it in their US warehouse in Atlanta, PCNA orders from Porsche AG Aftersales, if PAG Aftersales in doesn't have it in (if I recall) Sachsenheim, Germany, one PAG employer orders from their Aftersales supplier. Once the part is on the shelf in Germany (checked and repackaged), it is put on a plane to the US distributor. PCNA then overnights it to your local dealer.

There's often only one single plant making these aftersales parts for the whole world, sometimes even a different supplier from series production, or the same one but different plant in another country. Aftersales dept. of a car manufacturer is usually separated from the rest of the company, and it is not prioritised as much as normal production, but both parties pull from each other's stock in extreme cases if the company really cares about their customers.

Either way, that's how OP's five-week backorder was created.
      06-20-2020, 06:59 PM   #17
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

My strut apparently cant be air freighted, someone has to drive a boat with it on it, been so long jesus christ, looks like first week of july i get it.

If i had known it would take this long i would have gone full coilovers
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 07:40 PM   #18
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

How can a strut not be put on an airplane?

That makes no sense
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 07:44 PM   #19
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
How can a strut not be put on an airplane?

That makes no sense
I don't know man you tell me, something about it blowing up according to BMW Toronto.

I legit am not knowledgable enough to call bullshit or not all i know is there is a bunch of us on really long wait times for parts.

The communication is also horrid, i told them if they had made it known to me that it would take 2 months i would have dropped the repair shop a set of coilovers and paid the difference.

My car has been gone for along while i dont even remember what it feels like to drive an M car.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 09:26 PM   #20
VChenz
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I don't know man you tell me, something about it blowing up according to BMW Toronto.

I legit am not knowledgable enough to call bullshit or not all i know is there is a bunch of us on really long wait times for parts.

The communication is also horrid, i told them if they had made it known to me that it would take 2 months i would have dropped the repair shop a set of coilovers and paid the difference.

My car has been gone for along while i dont even remember what it feels like to drive an M car.
I feel your pain man. I was just having dinner outside watching everyone cruising in their rides down the main strip. I just want my car

Fingers crossed it doesn't get delayed too far into July. Worse part is I didn't take a loaner because I have a second car and figured I would just wait till they fixed mine because I'm working from home anyways so I don't do much driving on the weekdays. Would have been nice to get an X3M for a bit
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2020, 09:31 PM   #21
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I feel your pain man. I was just having dinner outside watching everyone cruising in their rides down the main strip. I just want my car

Fingers crossed it doesn't get delayed too far into July. Worse part is I didn't take a loaner because I have a second car and figured I would just wait till they fixed mine because I'm working from home anyways so I don't do much driving on the weekdays. Would have been nice to get an X3M for a bit
We are living the same life, i thought a simple short fix would get it done so ive been driving an Acura ilx family car no one is using as i also work from home.

Every time a random kid in an S5 storms by i wish i was in my M4 to hurt a bit of feelings.

Lets hope we get a bit of the summer to use. Before all this i also bought a set of potenza re71rs i have yet to try so i am fuming i dont know what to do with my day nowadays.
Appreciate 0