Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

06-27-2020, 10:58 PM   #1
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

I got my hood resprayed 8-9 days ago due to rock chips and other slight paint damage. It was done by a reputable, very well known shop whose name I won't disclose yet as I want to take it to them to see how they'll handle it before exposing them. I paid double what I usually would've paid at a normal shop who usually does good work because it's an M4 so I wanted to take it to a high end shop like this.

Both the left and right side of the hood has this white hairline chip going on on the edges. I really can't remember if they were there the day I picked it up because they're so subtle you have to really look for them in the sun. Pic is attached. I did wash the car once but I don't think that had anything to do with it. Car has seen 300-400 miles and I have hit 100 mph if that has anything to do with it. It actually paint matched perfectly too with the rest of the car.

If anyone knows what could've caused this please provide input. I'm going to the shop when they open during the week I just started this forum because I want to have an idea of what this actually is/possible causes before going in blindly as they can tell me anything and god knows how truthful they'll be.

They're a very highly rated shop that works on expensive cars so I'm honestly very confused. If you need better pics let me know. It's the white hairline paint chipping on the edge of the panel (my OEM M4 hood).
Attached Images

Last edited by bsmf8x; 06-27-2020 at 11:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 11:13 PM   #2
Isj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

have you tried wiping the edge with a microfiber towel and see if it's not just polishing residue?
Appreciate 2
RoundelM31838.00
omgf80207.00
      06-27-2020, 11:35 PM   #3
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isj View Post
have you tried wiping the edge with a microfiber towel and see if it's not just polishing residue?
Yeah I used a microfiber + soap and tried for a few minutes.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 01:28 AM   #4
Ejones4541
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP

Most shops offer a warranty on their work. Why are you posting a thread on an enthusiast board asking what you should do? Man up, drive the car to the shop, and talk to the owner or shop foreman. Damn
Appreciate 2
DML967.50
      06-28-2020, 01:47 AM   #5
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejones4541 View Post
Most shops offer a warranty on their work. Why are you posting a thread on an enthusiast board asking what you should do? Man up, drive the car to the shop, and talk to the owner or shop foreman. Damn
Shop opens Monday that's what I'm doing the second they open buddy.

I posted it on here out of curiosity if anyone knows body work if this happens due to bad paint quality, washing it too soon, not allowing it to cure in the sun or a bunch of reasons. I made it clear that I'm going to the shop as soon as they open it's just good to have an idea of what actually happened before I go there as I don't know Jack shit about body work and I don't wanna hear some made up bullshit from them about how it's my fault and not know whether or not they're right.

People on here have proven to know their shit when it comes to things like this time and time again. Regardless I'm not taking them saying it's my fault as an answer, I just wanted to take advantage of the fact that I have another 36 hours to get an idea of why what happened happened until I can go talk to the shop.

& your response shows how clueless you are because 1) I didn't ask what I should do, no shit I'm gonna take it to them 2) what you suggested to do I said I'm going to do like 3 times in the original post lol

Some clowns on this app honestly.
Appreciate 5
      06-28-2020, 07:40 AM   #6
deemack79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Definitely polish residue. You can easily fix yourself, but since you paid so much and it is a "high end" shop, let them address it. 60 second fix....
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 07:42 AM   #7
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deemack79 View Post
Definitely polish residue. You can easily fix yourself, but since you paid so much and it is a "high end" shop, let them address it. 60 second fix....
+1 no biggie
j2dad5389374.00
      06-28-2020, 07:44 AM   #8
Isj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdrdf82 View Post
Try using the microfiber towel with 70% isopropyl alcohol on it and wipe the edge. If it doesn't go away then i would definitely let the shop deal with it.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 07:47 AM   #9
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isj View Post
Quote:
Try using the microfiber towel with 70% isopropyl alcohol on it and wipe the edge. If it doesn't go away then i would definitely let the shop deal with it.
Appreciate it I'll try that now. Thanks for the responses
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 08:39 AM   #10
tebbnsx
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I got my hood resprayed 8-9 days ago due to rock chips and other slight paint damage. It was done by a reputable, very well known shop whose name I won't disclose yet as I want to take it to them to see how they'll handle it before exposing them. I paid double what I usually would've paid at a normal shop who usually does good work because it's an M4 so I wanted to take it to a high end shop like this.

Both the left and right side of the hood has this white hairline chip going on on the edges. I really can't remember if they were there the day I picked it up because they're so subtle you have to really look for them in the sun. Pic is attached. I did wash the car once but I don't think that had anything to do with it. Car has seen 300-400 miles and I have hit 100 mph if that has anything to do with it. It actually paint matched perfectly too with the rest of the car.

If anyone knows what could've caused this please provide input. I'm going to the shop when they open during the week I just started this forum because I want to have an idea of what this actually is/possible causes before going in blindly as they can tell me anything and god knows how truthful they'll be.

They're a very highly rated shop that works on expensive cars so I'm honestly very confused. If you need better pics let me know. It's the white hairline paint chipping on the edge of the panel (my OEM M4 hood).
You should not have paid double because it's an M4. I'm not certain that's a sign of a "good" shop or one which takes advantage of people.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 08:45 AM   #11
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebbnsx View Post
Quote:

You should not have paid double because it's an M4. I'm not certain that's a sign of a "good" shop or one which takes advantage of people.
I paid double compared to shops in queens that do eh work that I usually use for lease returns.

Also, don't know yet if it's just polish residue or what but this shop was able to match my 437m rims perfectly to OEM which very few people can do according to people on here.

Paint ages over time I'm keeping this car for 4-5 years I chose to go with a shop that will likely do the best job.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 09:30 AM   #12
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

If you can't feel it with your nail or finger, it's definitely not a deep scratch. Weird that it's not coming off after using IPA, though.

I am not sure if it just the photo, but the blue-ish line coming from the white flash reflection might be some pigtails caused by a bad polishing job. Most paint shops (and OEM factories) seem not to know how to machine polish paint so if you're anal about your car, I'd take it to a reputable detailing shop to get it all dialed in.
      06-28-2020, 06:12 PM   #13
Ejones4541
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I posted it on here out of curiosity if anyone knows body work if this happens due to bad paint quality, washing it too soon, not allowing it to cure in the sun or a bunch of reasons. I made it clear that I'm going to the shop as soon as they open it's just good to have an idea of what actually happened before I go there as I don't know Jack shit about body work and I don't wanna hear some made up bullshit from them about how it's my fault and not know whether or not they're right.

People on here have proven to know their shit when it comes to things like this time and time again. Regardless I'm not taking them saying it's my fault as an answer, I just wanted to take advantage of the fact that I have another 36 hours to get an idea of why what happened happened until I can go talk to the shop.

& your response shows how clueless you are because 1) I didn't ask what I should do, no shit I'm gonna take it to them 2) what you suggested to do I said I'm going to do like 3 times in the original post lol

No mention in your original post of taking it back to the shop once, let alone 3 times. I stopped reading your whining after that. You said you paid more based on the brand of the car. Are you gullible or just an idiot who should be driving a Prius?

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a crybaby.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 07:22 AM   #14
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No mention in your original post of taking it back to the shop once, let alone 3 times. I stopped reading your whining after that. You said you paid more based on the brand of the car. Are you gullible or just an idiot who should be driving a Prius?

I said word for word I'm going to take it to the shop when they open during the week and mentioned it again in the first paragraph.

And I paid a couple extra hundred $$ to get it done at a shop on a 82k car that I plan on keeping for 4+ years nothing wrong with that cheap bodywork is noticeable after a few years especially on metallic paint. I didn't pay double compared to what I should've, I just usually pay half of these prices because my bodywork is done for lease returns for cheap so it's not noticeable to inspectors because they see it right after it's done. Paint ages over time.

You're the idiot sitting 500+ miles away behind a computer screen talking shit across the internet on a BMW forum leaving dumbass comments. I actually did get a proper answer here that helped so I didn't have to go back because it was just polish residue removable via alcohol. I posted this Saturday and couldn't get to the shop til Monday due to their hours so I wanted an opinion in the mean time that's it.

Also, people who drive this caliber of car aren't usually the type of bums who have nothing better to do than leave dumbass clueless comments on someone's post asking a reasonable question.
Appreciate 2
9M711235.00
doug_9992544.50
      06-29-2020, 08:02 AM   #15
White340
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp / 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What's with the hostility? If you didn't like his post just move on. Why waste your time responding? He mentioned twice that he is going to take it back to the body shop. If you didn't stop reading you would have seen that in the second sentence and third paragraph.

He was trying to educate himself on a topic he didn't know much about before going to the body shop. People ask questions all the time before taking their car to a body shop/mechanic to reduce the chance of getting screwed. Not everyone is as smart as you are.
Appreciate 4
bsmf8x778.50
doug_9992544.50
9M711235.00
mmic77163.00
      06-29-2020, 08:20 AM   #16
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Ejones,
The OP clearly states he is going to take it back to the shop. He just wanted some advice from members on here. That's what this forum is for. He received his answer and now it is all good. Why the hostility?
Appreciate 1
bsmf8x778.50
      06-29-2020, 09:19 AM   #17
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
If you can't feel it with your nail or finger, it's definitely not a deep scratch. Weird that it's not coming off after using IPA, though.

I am not sure if it just the photo, but the blue-ish line coming from the white flash reflection might be some pigtails caused by a bad polishing job. Most paint shops (and OEM factories) seem not to know how to machine polish paint so if you're anal about your car, I'd take it to a reputable detailing shop to get it all dialed in.
IPA worked with a second pass. Thanks everyone.

This might be useful to someone else who knows but issues resolved so yeah @moderators don't mind if this thread is deleted because it's a kind of unique scenario.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 09:37 AM   #18
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Thread is good. Mods can just correct / give a time out if necessary. I think the fix is helpful to all. Except most people drink IPA's (I don't, not a fan).
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 03:49 PM   #19
Ejones4541
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

OP, my apologies.

I'll eat a Snickers bar and see if it'll snap me out of the funk I've been in as of late.
Appreciate 5
9M711235.00
bsmf8x778.50
yayaya104.50
doug_9992544.50
      06-29-2020, 04:00 PM   #20
Wmf80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Surprised someone got hostile at OP. I would of posted the same thing as OP if I was in this situation. This forum has been very very helpful to myself and others.
Appreciate 1
bsmf8x778.50