BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-26-2008, 12:05 AM   #1
Congoman775
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: hot wheels

Little help here.

First post here, ive got an array of questions concerning the M3 which will help me determine what id like to get in my new M3!

First off... thanks for all your help! (whoever replies to this)

A. What is the deal with the Carbon fiber roof? ive seen a fraction of the cars with them, but ive never seen a dealer with a Carbon fiber top'd M3. Whats the deal?

B. I know im going to get a "well its your personal prefferance" reply to this one... but im getting at ease of use- bugs- real world practicality, things you wont learn from a site or dealer. What are people saying about the DCT vs. The Manual?

C. I am 99% sure ill be buying a 2009 M3 as soon as they come out, is there anything that anyone with the car thinks i should concider other than the previously mentioned topics?

THANK YOU!!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 12:20 AM   #2
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
A. The sunroof is an option on the coupe and sedan. The coupe is the only car that gets the carbon roof, so if you don't get the sunroof option on the sedan, you get a steel roof. It is odd that you haven't seen many with the CF roof on lots, maybe it's a Florida thing?

B. There are many different opinions. Get the DCT if you want the fastest, most advanced thing that you can get. Get the 6 MT if you want classic, tied in driving experience and enjoy working the clutch. You can get a better deal on the 6 MT and there are no bugs to be worked out worked out with it, but the DCT is the fastest.

C. Be sure to check the dealer, tracking etc. part of the forum to get some info on how to get the best deal on your car.

Other than that, welcome to the forum and I hope you will enjoy your new M3. Post pictures when you get it for sure!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 12:40 AM   #3
Congoman775
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: hot wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krueger///M3 View Post
A. The sunroof is an option on the coupe and sedan. The coupe is the only car that gets the carbon roof, so if you don't get the sunroof option on the sedan, you get a steel roof. It is odd that you haven't seen many with the CF roof on lots, maybe it's a Florida thing?

B. There are many different opinions. Get the DCT if you want the fastest, most advanced thing that you can get. Get the 6 MT if you want classic, tied in driving experience and enjoy working the clutch. You can get a better deal on the 6 MT and there are no bugs to be worked out worked out with it, but the DCT is the fastest.

C. Be sure to check the dealer, tracking etc. part of the forum to get some info on how to get the best deal on your car.

Other than that, welcome to the forum and I hope you will enjoy your new M3. Post pictures when you get it for sure!

Thanks!

Ya ive been real friendly towards the DCT, knowing its full capabilities.. but how have people been recording 0-60 times?

i know the reports ive seen have ranged from 4.1 - 4.7 seconds.

And i had one guy tell me he'd hit 3.8 using launch control on the DCT... ?

Manual times Vs. Autos?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 12:46 AM   #4
Krueger///M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
Thanks!

Ya ive been real friendly towards the DCT, knowing its full capabilities.. but how have people been recording 0-60 times?

i know the reports ive seen have ranged from 4.1 - 4.7 seconds.

And i had one guy tell me he'd hit 3.8 using launch control on the DCT... ?

Manual times Vs. Autos?
3.8 is real low and I don't believe that it is possible with a stock M3. The manual times are not too far off from the DCT in most cases, but this can be attributed to a few important factors.
-The magazine testers are better at launching manual cars than most users.
-The conditions aren't the same in the manual and DCT tests.
-Where the DCT really shines is it's consistency and the fact that you can just hit the gas pedal and not have to think about as many factors as with a manual.
Appreciate 0