R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-17-2020, 08:51 AM   #1
summilux
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 MG & 6MT

So I finally got to a track

After two decades of BMW ownership and 2 yrs and 30K km on my M3, I finally got to a track (Calabogie)! It was a very short experience, only 30 minutes, and it was a novice day with an instructor in the passenger seat. Some thoughts:

-Holy shit this was fun. Heart pumping, blood rushing excitement. It's on the level of sky diving, bungee jumping and heli-skiing. If you haven't been to a track, get there.
-Time is weird on a track. The 30 minutes felt like about 5.
-The F80 is an immensely competent car. Even being a hooligan on the streets barely scratches the surface of an M3's capabilities.
-Braking. Wow this car is good. After a few laps I could brake somewhat later than when the instructor suggested
-Torque. Torque. Torque. I have MT and I figured I would be shifting a lot, but even in the hairpins I could leave it in 3rd. 4th was for the straights and I never got it above that. I'm pretty sure I went above 100 mph in 4th but I was too busy watching the course to check. I passed one car, a Mustang GT.
-Handling. I could definitely throttle earlier out of the corners than what the instructor suggested.
-Comfort. My non-CP seats are nice and very supportive. Lots of headroom for the helmet.
-Budget. I need to find some money for this. My 30 minutes was $75 and the full day course is $375. I need to buy a helmet that fits me properly. Tires, brakes and fluid changes too. I guess there are worse things to spend money on.
Appreciate 9
2011ninja3414.00
swagon13567.50
agentrnge383.50
pokerface432.50
jmg18864.50
spuntyb4066.50
SCS55291.00
      08-17-2020, 09:24 AM   #2
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by summilux View Post
After two decades of BMW ownership and 2 yrs and 30K km on my M3, I finally got to a track (Calabogie)! It was a very short experience, only 30 minutes, and it was a novice day with an instructor in the passenger seat. Some thoughts:

-Holy shit this was fun. Heart pumping, blood rushing excitement. It's on the level of sky diving, bungee jumping and heli-skiing. If you haven't been to a track, get there.
-The F80 is an immensely competent car. Even being a hooligan on the streets barely scratches the surface of an M3's capabilities.
-Braking. Wow this car is good. After a few laps I could brake somewhat later than when the instructor suggested
-Torque. Torque. Torque. I have MT and I figured I would be shifting a lot, but even in the hairpins I could leave it in 3rd. 4th was for the straights and I never got it above that. I'm pretty sure I went above 100 mph in 4th but I was too busy watching the course to check. I passed one car, a Mustang GT.
-Handling. I could definitely throttle earlier out of the corners than what the instructor suggested.
-Comfort. My non-CP seats are nice and very supportive. Lots of headroom for the helmet.
-Budget. I need to find some money for this. My 30 minutes was $75 and the full day course is $375. I need to buy a helmet that fits me properly. Tires, brakes and fluid changes too. I guess there are worse things to spend money on.
I've also recently done my first track day with the M3.

Mine was a bit calmer due to rain, but I agree with the rest of your list. Those who drive their cars to Starbucks and roll race them on the highway are missing out big time.
      08-17-2020, 11:04 AM   #3
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Quote:

Hey man i am from toronto, and was thinking of going to that track.

Where did you book the 30 minute session?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 01:16 PM   #4
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Come join us on the track sub-forum! Your experience will change as you get out of novice. The car has short-comings but the chassis is incredible. Once you get out of the novice groups and start pushing the car, street tires won't be acceptable any more, unless you like wasting a lot of money. You'll need to get a dedicated set of track pads as well, the stock M pads will melt as soon as you start pushing it a little harder.

Quote:
-Braking. Wow this car is good. After a few laps I could brake somewhat later than when the instructor suggested.
The F8x platform has atrocious tiny brakes and you have no brake cooling at all. Your entire front grill is loaded with radiators and coolers. This gets argued a lot on the track forum because some of the guys don't have problems but I've yet to meet someone with an F8x and stock iron rotors/brakes who can threshold brake all day. You'll start to see it as you begin to brake later, longer and harder.

EDIT: Speaking of, there was an F80 at the last event in Lime Rock Park who approached me before the last session and asked how I was braking so late because he was terrified of braking any later. (I recently switched to a BBK and it has changed everything for me)

Last edited by NYG; 08-17-2020 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42993.00
      08-17-2020, 01:25 PM   #5
khoa@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Those who drive their cars to Starbucks and roll race them on the highway are missing out big time.

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 06:52 PM   #6
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:

Glad you enjoyed it! But you've just taken the first puff off a crack pipe! This shit is addicting!

I've had my 2016 M4 Coupe a little over 4 years and I have 26 full track days on it (that's more than six days/year!) Overall, in all cars, I have 53 full track days over the last 24 years. Recommended updates in this order:
  1. High performance brake pads
  2. Track tires and wheels
  3. Camber plates

Definitely take a look at the "Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques" sub-forum. There's lots of advice and experience there.

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 07:20 PM   #7
Jbonly21
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 15 F80, 2011 X5 35i, E46 M

Quote:

Glad to see you had a good time, I just did my first autocross as well on the weekend and boy was it fun, can't wait to do my first track day in October .
      08-17-2020, 08:18 PM   #8
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbonly21 View Post
Glad to see you had a good time, I just did my first autocross as well on the weekend and boy was it fun, can't wait to do my first track day in October .
Were you at Auto Club Speedway? I think I saw your car!

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 08:27 PM   #9
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:

Congrats!!! I had my first real track experience almost 2 years ago, and I've been hooked ever since! I definitely still have a lot to learn and this can be an expensive habit, but it's also very rewarding and a lot of fun. See you at the track forum!

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 09:53 PM   #10
Jbonly21
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Were you at Auto Club Speedway? I think I saw your car!
Yes It was, what where you driving?
      08-17-2020, 10:19 PM   #11
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
My Lime Rock Grey M3 CS. Managed a 38.464.

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 11:24 PM   #12
Jbonly21
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Nice, I saw you too. My best run was 41.20. I am hoping to do the track day in October.
      08-17-2020, 11:46 PM   #13
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nice, I saw you too. My best run was 41.20. I am hoping to do the track day in October.
Going to Streets of Willow hopefully on the 29th. Is the October event with Speed Ventures at Auto Club Speedway too?

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 12:29 AM   #14
Jbonly21
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Going to Streets of Willow hopefully on the 29th. Is the October event with Speed Ventures at Auto Club Speedway too?
Yes
Attached Images

08-21-2020, 12:49 PM   #15
summilux
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post
Hey man i am from toronto, and was thinking of going to that track.

Where did you book the 30 minute session?
Calabogie is a nice track. It's quite a hike from TO though. I booked the lap through my local BMW car club. They have a full day event on the 31st if you are interested.

https://bmwccottawa.org/ads/
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 12:52 PM   #16
summilux
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post

The F8x platform has atrocious tiny brakes and you have no brake cooling at all. Your entire front grill is loaded with radiators and coolers. This gets argued a lot on the track forum because some of the guys don't have problems but I've yet to meet someone with an F8x and stock iron rotors/brakes who can threshold brake all day. You'll start to see it as you begin to brake later, longer and harder.

EDIT: Speaking of, there was an F80 at the last event in Lime Rock Park who approached me before the last session and asked how I was braking so late because he was terrified of braking any later. (I recently switched to a BBK and it has changed everything for me)
The brakes did burn up a bit in the corners but it's just the stock pads. I should just switch them out for track ones next time I go.
Appreciate 0