BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-02-2020, 09:59 AM   #1
gottspd
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, Lexus LC500, MK4 Supra

Right & Left turn signal malfunction

Hey all. So, I've had my car (a 2015 F83) for only 2 weeks now and this morning I got in and the front left and right turn signals are showing a malfunction. When I started the car, both the left and right front turn signals blinked super fast and I got the warnings in the car. It doesn't appear to be a bulb issue since the rear and mirrors turn signals work. I've not tried any trouble-shooting. I'm going to disconnect the battery when I get a chance to. Any other thoughts in that it's both the left and right?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 10:19 AM   #2
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

First time hearing about this. Try the battery disconnect option but maybe something got into the wires?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 10:37 AM   #3
StanislavK82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

I would check the relays for this. It's probably on it's way out. I'm not sure if it's in the under hood relay box or in the cabin somewhere. But you can open them up and quickly check.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 10:39 AM   #4
gottspd
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanislavK82 View Post
I would check the relay for this. It's probably on it's way out.
Can you point me in the direction of the relay?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 10:40 AM   #5
StanislavK82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottspd View Post
Quote:
I would check the relay for this. It's probably on it's way out.
Can you point me in the direction of the relay?
I'm searching to see what I can find.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 10:56 AM   #6
StanislavK82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So I quickly looked through newtis.info. I can't sort out if there is actually a relay or the function is part of the lighting module. I did see the hazard button is connected to everything also. Does pushing that button cause the fast blinking too? You may want to check the plug on that. Sorry I'm not more help, I'll keep looking. I'll look at my car later also.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 10:58 AM   #7
gottspd
Private
Rep

The hazards don't cause fast blinking but the LED blinkers up front don't blink.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 08:47 PM   #8
StanislavK82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The hazards don't cause fast blinking but the LED blinkers up front don't blink.
Hi I saw your other thread, glad the battery issue was ok! Anyways I also noticed you have leds. Is it possible your computer thinks you have the standard xenon lights instead of the led? There maybe some software issue for the indicator coding. If the computer thinks it's a standard bulb then it will send more power to the indicator causing a fast blinking on an led. As a first step you could go through bimmercode you can look through the options in the "front electronic module" section and see if anything looks weird. Of course I've never seen this before but just trying to help with the troubleshooting. I could look at mine also to compare if you want.
I don't have bm3 and am not familiar with it but check to see if it has any options for lighting changes, although my guess is it wouldn't.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 09:49 PM   #9
gottspd
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hi I saw your other thread, glad the battery issue was ok! Anyways I also noticed you have leds. Is it possible your computer thinks you have the standard xenon lights instead of the led? There maybe some software issue for the indicator coding. If the computer thinks it's a standard bulb then it will send more power to the indicator causing a fast blinking on an led. As a first step you could go through bimmercode you can look through the options in the "front electronic module" section and see if anything looks weird. Of course I've never seen this before but just trying to help with the troubleshooting. I could look at mine also to compare if you want.
I don't have bm3 and am not familiar with it but check to see if it has any options for lighting changes, although my guess is it wouldn't.
That's exactly what I did. There was one thing that wasn't set to led so I changed it and a few other random settings and the next time I restarted the car, I didn't have any error messages. I'm going to go check it again now.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 10:46 PM   #10
StanislavK82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
That's exactly what I did. There was one thing that wasn't set to led so I changed it and a few other random settings and the next time I restarted the car, I didn't have any error messages. I'm going to go check it again now.
Here are some screenshots from my phone when connected to bimmercode. These are all stock, mine is a 2016 but the lights are led. Hope this helps. Sorry I couldn't do the whole list. Just scrolled and took what I thought was relevant.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 11:27 PM   #11
SherM4n
M4 748(a)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M4, '12 TT RS, '02 TT

Did you have to order the Executive Package to get these turn signals or something?

Also, good luck.
      10-02-2020, 11:43 PM   #12
gottspd
Private
Rep

Thank you!!!
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2020, 11:45 PM   #13
StanislavK82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you!!!
Hope that helped and forgot to say congrats on the new car!
Appreciate 0