Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-06-2020, 10:31 PM   #1
m4h2o
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

Bad OBD Enet cable

Wanted to start this new thread because there not much out there about this. I bought my OBD cable from a well know company. Figured buying from Amazon would be a good chance it would get a dud. Well these cables can and will go bad no matter where purchased from. I've been trying to connect to the bootmod app with this wire using the bootmods WiFi adapter. Tried for countless hours within 3 days trying to figure out why I couldn't connect. Checked the fuses on the car, tested the WiFi adapter, emailed protuning freaks you name it I did it. I spoke to a member on this forum and he had suggested just return the obd enet cable and get a new one. This was my plan until I decide to take it apart. Well lucky me I found the culprit. I don't know what you call this but it was detached on one end. I simply soldered it together. I connected it and bam!!! Works like a charm. Folks if all else fails. Check the cables.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 12:31 AM   #2
jdgamble
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 CQM M3 - My family car

That’s a fuse. And yeah, you need it!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 05:18 AM   #3
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgamble View Post
That’s a fuse. And yeah, you need it!
That’s definitely a resistor. Looks like a 1kohm.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 06:30 AM   #4
gottspd
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, Lexus LC500, MK4 Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4h2o View Post
Wanted to start this new thread because there not much out there about this. I bought my OBD cable from a well know company. Figured buying from Amazon would be a good chance it would get a dud. Well these cables can and will go bad no matter where purchased from. I've been trying to connect to the bootmod app with this wire using the bootmods WiFi adapter. Tried for countless hours within 3 days trying to figure out why I couldn't connect. Checked the fuses on the car, tested the WiFi adapter, emailed protuning freaks you name it I did it. I spoke to a member on this forum and he had suggested just return the obd enet cable and get a new one. This was my plan until I decide to take it apart. Well lucky me I found the culprit. I don't know what you call this but it was detached on one end. I simply soldered it together. I connected it and bam!!! Works like a charm. Folks if all else fails. Check the cables.
Did you have to re-solder it?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 07:08 AM   #5
m4h2o
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottspd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4h2o View Post
Did you have to re-solder it?
Yes.. soldered the one end that was detached
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 07:16 AM   #6
gottspd
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, Lexus LC500, MK4 Supra

My cable works fine for BM3 but it's super flakey for BimmerCode. I usually have to do a reboot to get it to work and that's not always a sure thing. I wonder if it has any issues...
Appreciate 1
m4h2o288.50
      10-07-2020, 07:44 AM   #7
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
So it was a problem with the OBDII connector and not the cable itself.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 08:55 AM   #8
m4h2o
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundelM3 View Post
So it was a problem with the OBDII connector and not the cable itself.
Yes exactly
Appreciate 0