BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-09-2020, 02:41 PM   #1
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F80 - ZCP 6MT

BMW / Porsche dealer visit - reflections

I went to the BMW dealer to drop the F80 for routine oil change. All SAs complimented the SMB / 6MT combo and a few asked if it was a CS...

I got a 2 series as a loaner. Absolutely horrible outside, meh inside and there is not a single drop of "ultimate driving machine" in its DNA. Turbo plus gearbox created very noticeable lag in acceleration. The car felt like something you get at an airport car rental.

My wife's X3 lease expires in March and she wants something slightly bigger. Checked out the X7...massive car. Then the X5, seems massive as well! Maybe it's the width but I can see her complaining it's too big. I'd welcome any ideas of something bigger than the X3 but not too big.

I had some time to kill and went to the Porsche dealer as I've been thinking about a GT4 (future F80 replacement). I used to have an Elise, have a Mini that is a blast and I've concluded I like smaller and agile cars. They don't have to be too powerful.

The Sales person saw "my" 2 series and then took a good 5min before approaching me. Then proceeded to say they are in high demand and therefore there is a ADM / markup. Which is not true and many dealers have inventory being sold at MSRP. I love that car. The buckets look awesome, but will it become painful to get in and out? The color is a dilemma because I don't want white/grey/black. Gentian Blue is like a low key SMB, darker and less pop. Yellow is interesting but there was only a Cayman and cell phone pic looks a bit pale. Chalk looks amazing, but will I get bored (it does fall in the grey category but it's an interesting one)? Miami Blue is apparently not being offered anymore which is a shame. I walked around and saw many Taycans, a Speedster, a 50 anniversary edition, etc.

Anyway, fun morning and different customer service experience. A few pics below.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
alex23642914.00
      10-09-2020, 03:32 PM   #2
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CachacoF80 View Post
My wife's X3 lease expires in March and she wants something slightly bigger. Checked out the X7...massive car. Then the X5, seems massive as well! Maybe it's the width but I can see her complaining it's too big. I'd welcome any ideas of something bigger than the X3 but not too big.
Fully loaded base Cayenne is a good wifey car. Make sure to get air suspension to not get wallowy ride although regular steel spring suspension is pretty robust and compliant.
      10-09-2020, 04:02 PM   #3
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
Quote:
Fully loaded base Cayenne is a good wifey car. Make sure to get air suspension to not get wallowy ride although regular steel spring suspension is pretty robust and compliant.
Thanks, will check out. I guess I was assuming $$$.

Porsche leases any good?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 04:08 PM   #4
jpy1980
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 -Smurfy Blue Vinyl

Quote:
The Sales person saw "my" 2 series and then took a good 5min before approaching me. Then proceeded to say they are in high demand and therefore there is a ADM / markup. Which is not true and many dealers have inventory being sold at MSRP.
What a dick. Probably lost a future potential buyer at that point.
Appreciate 1
PhatLyfe985.00
      10-09-2020, 04:29 PM   #5
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Sounds like the sales person figured it you’re serious, you’ll buy one anyway because... #Porsche
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 04:49 PM   #6
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpy1980 View Post
Quote:
The Sales person saw "my" 2 series and then took a good 5min before approaching me. Then proceeded to say they are in high demand and therefore there is a ADM / markup. Which is not true and many dealers have inventory being sold at MSRP.
What a dick. Probably lost a future potential buyer at that point.
That was my initial reaction. After we geeked out then he warmed up and assumed I had some honest interest.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 04:51 PM   #7
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Sounds like the sales person figured it you’re serious, you’ll buy one anyway because... #Porsche
Yes, that's the vibe. Maybe I should wear Porsche appropriate- business casual clothing next time. And take the F80 and sound more assertive!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 04:52 PM   #8
c0nrad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes, that's the vibe. Maybe I should wear Porsche appropriate- business casual clothing next time. And take the F80 and sound more assertive!
shouldn't have to do that at a dealer selling mass produced cars lol

probably have some better luck outside of the SF bay area, where every tech bro will go in and buy a fully loaded car without much trouble
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 04:52 PM   #9
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Were you at Livermore Porsche?

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 05:24 PM   #10
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:

Porsche leases any good?
Well I inquired for Cayenne S and residual seemed reasonable and 10%+ discounts for base and S models. 2021 GTS will see around 5-6% discount but at a higher residual %. If you are okay with 100K-105K range SUV (before 10% discount) then I highly recommend Cayenne S.
      10-09-2020, 06:49 PM   #11
smashgordon123
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: f80 m3 & mclaren 570s

speaking to your comment below regarding the getting in and out. Yes its hard to get out of those seats. I have a orange GT3rs with the carbon bucket seats and its hard to get out of and im only 170 5'8.

That being said its not my Daily its race car and used for when i want to go on a casual drive or hit the track.

if you are buying a gt4 for daily i would reccomend the other non bucket seats.

Quote:
The Sales person saw "my" 2 series and then took a good 5min before approaching me. Then proceeded to say they are in high demand and therefore there is a ADM / markup. Which is not true and many dealers have inventory being sold at MSRP. I love that car. The buckets look awesome, but will it become painful to get in and out?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 07:21 PM   #12
Mr. Hankey
Christmas Poo
Rep
Drives: 2024 G87 6MT

Alternate to X3 SUV - Range Rover Sport

GT4 - maybe it's COVID (well and an increase in MSRP) but this is the first GT car Porsche hasn't had people lining up for. Any normal release ADM would be expected. These can be had for MSRP - just do a national search, call around, these are sitting at Dealers. The Spyder is probably the version to have though...

Over 80% of Porsche sports cars sold are ordered directly from dealers, so they don't usually have a lot of inventory they need to work to sell, and there are usually plenty of customers so the SAs aren't going to be all over you typically is my experience (Other than for SUVs)...my experience is if you want something Porsche sports car you have one, maybe 2 shots if lucky to get it or it's gone. You can offer MSRP on that GT4 and maybe get it, don't expect anything else because they are still low volume cars. Macan and Cayenne yeah 5-10% off is doable...

BMW is just much higher volume so easy to hunt down something similar or exact to your specs and the dealers know this.

I've also found that SA attitude is often times set by the dealer they work for, rules that apply at that dealership, compensation schemes..etc. and well some just think their sh!t doesn't smell and everyone has a chip on their shoulders...if you want a super nice Porsche, BMW, or Land Rover SA PM me, no reason to buy local these days...I don't work for anyone, these are just genuinely nice people I know and have purchased multiple vehicles from...but your deal will have more to do with where they are in the month, quarter...etc. understanding that most dealers are commanding very high prices in the current circumstances (low inventory of just about everything)....
      10-09-2020, 07:26 PM   #13
Rooster23
Frayed Ends of Sanity
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3 Comp

I too agree, the 2 series is not a very good looking car.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 08:10 PM   #14
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
Quote:

Porsche leases any good?
No. Much better to buy. We lease our Macan GTS and I keep lamenting we didn't just buy because it finances about the same, and it retains value like nobody's business. Obviously depends what you end up getting, but most P cars, across the model range, are better financed.

Agree the customer service experience is very different

I would definitely consider getting a Cayman, although I would go with the 981 generation with the flat 6, personally. The sonorous rumble is perfection. I actually was going to get a 997.2 GTS for my next car, but we got pregnant with our second, so I ended up in an F80, which is pretty fantastic for the price, but also v different from the 911. Pretty happy with it, but definitely itching to move over to a P car.

Good luck!

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 08:11 PM   #15
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I think the GT4 is not as limited like past GT cars so plenty of availability means lower price. I was offered a Gentian Blue GT4 thats is on a boat to US for MSRP and that was a month ago.

GT4 RS is on the way as well so some buyers are saving their $$$ for that.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 09:31 PM   #16
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Sometimes, it's just marketing. The way a CA treats you most of the time can be abrasive/random if you don't know the dealership enough. This isn't exclusive to Porsche. A 2 series is just that, a simple 2 series. It isn't meant for anything other than DD purposes. Who the hell cares what a CA from Porsche is saying? At times you can take it more of a joke because Porsche does not cater to that group of buyers generally. I can almost guarantee you though most of the CAs at Porsche dealerships who have families will have a simple, basic DD. It's common sense. Heck, I get the super base Macan for a loaner. Last one, I had to warn the dealership after returning it that the car badly needs an alignment because the steering wheel is VERY off-center and it was bugging the hell out of me.

I generally don't have bad experiences with dealerships as I do my best to do my homework before I even step into a dealership. Obviously, I am far more familiar with BMW and Porsche so, my contacts with both dealerships are pretty deep, for the most part I am treated like family. I tend to always suggest others to try and establish some contacts first and not walk in blind, so the CAs won't just blindside you with marketing talk (aka you avoid the bull$)

The GT4s are around, more so now then before. They are sitting on lots because the interest in them aren't there. Yes they got their Flat Six back, but the overall fact is a sedan like the F80 M3 will out preform it for far less (before people give me crap, this is true so just don't). The biggest one is though the GT4 RS is on the horizon with a rumored PDK option. That will be more fitting for the average consumer as most others are just waiting for the 992 GT3 instead.

When I visited the dealership my Porsche is bought/ordered from, almost all of their Taycans are Turbos. Those are the ones that sits because everyone is waiting for the base Taycans. They are also willing to deal on their GT cars if they sit long enough, which been happening more so then before due to the pandemic. I can promise the OP, that the GT4 he posted here, will sit far past the end of this year. That will not go anywhere. As some has noted already, Porsche buyers know their cars generally. So, they will most likely order instead of buying off lot unless the car comes close to his own build. Although, Chalk, will most likely go because Chalk is extremely popular (my ordered Macan GTS is in Chalk )
      10-09-2020, 10:48 PM   #17
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
Were you at Livermore Porsche?
Yes, stopped by for a few min
Appreciate 1
zamboni1132.00
      10-09-2020, 10:51 PM   #18
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashgordon123 View Post
speaking to your comment below regarding the getting in and out. Yes its hard to get out of those seats. I have a orange GT3rs with the carbon bucket seats and its hard to get out of and im only 170 5'8.

That being said its not my Daily its race car and used for when i want to go on a casual drive or hit the track.

if you are buying a gt4 for daily i would reccomend the other non bucket seats.

Quote:
The Sales person saw "my" 2 series and then took a good 5min before approaching me. Then proceeded to say they are in high demand and therefore there is a ADM / markup. Which is not true and many dealers have inventory being sold at MSRP. I love that car. The buckets look awesome, but will it become painful to get in and out?
Nice, Lava Orange? Awesome color, worth PTS.

I think I would be taking to the track here and there (say once a quarter) but most weekends just looking for good roads.

Appreciate the recommendation.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 10:52 PM   #19
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahrt View Post
Alternate to X3 SUV - Range Rover Sport

GT4 - maybe it's COVID (well and an increase in MSRP) but this is the first GT car Porsche hasn't had people lining up for. Any normal release ADM would be expected. These can be had for MSRP - just do a national search, call around, these are sitting at Dealers. The Spyder is probably the version to have though...

Over 80% of Porsche sports cars sold are ordered directly from dealers, so they don't usually have a lot of inventory they need to work to sell, and there are usually plenty of customers so the SAs aren't going to be all over you typically is my experience (Other than for SUVs)...my experience is if you want something Porsche sports car you have one, maybe 2 shots if lucky to get it or it's gone. You can offer MSRP on that GT4 and maybe get it, don't expect anything else because they are still low volume cars. Macan and Cayenne yeah 5-10% off is doable...

BMW is just much higher volume so easy to hunt down something similar or exact to your specs and the dealers know this.

I've also found that SA attitude is often times set by the dealer they work for, rules that apply at that dealership, compensation schemes..etc. and well some just think their sh!t doesn't smell and everyone has a chip on their shoulders...if you want a super nice Porsche, BMW, or Land Rover SA PM me, no reason to buy local these days...I don't work for anyone, these are just genuinely nice people I know and have purchased multiple vehicles from...but your deal will have more to do with where they are in the month, quarter...etc. understanding that most dealers are commanding very high prices in the current circumstances (low inventory of just about everything)....
Thanks, appreciate the offer. I will do so when I'm ready to pull the trigger
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 10:57 PM   #20
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
I think the GT4 is not as limited like past GT cars so plenty of availability means lower price. I was offered a Gentian Blue GT4 thats is on a boat to US for MSRP and that was a month ago.

GT4 RS is on the way as well so some buyers are saving their $$$ for that.
RS I'm sure will be amazing but probably too track oriented and PDK I know I will get bored after a few months. But can't argue with its quality and shifting prowess.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 10:59 PM   #21
smashgordon123
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

yes its lava orange with the orange / black seats, orange roll cage, full klein iconel exhaust a few other mods.

Quote:
Nice, Lava Orange? Awesome color, worth PTS.

I think I would be taking to the track here and there (say once a quarter) but most weekends just looking for good roads.

Appreciate the recommendation.
Name:  Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 8.58.52 PM.png
Views: 1169
Size:  538.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 11:01 PM   #22
smashgordon123
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

to the user aboves notes...

people are saying the 2016 GT4 is still a better car..

reviews on the new one are not as good as the reviews on the new GT3 and GT3rs.

I have yet to drive the new GT4 so i cant make my own thoughts on it.

I think its one of the best cars for the price.
Appreciate 0