GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-17-2020, 10:17 PM   #1
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 - DCT 2016

Vibration/pulsing in steering wheel

I get a bunch of buzzing/vibration in the wheel. This is even on idle, i don't have to be moving at all.

Car has catless DP's, full MPE, 2016 M4 DCT.

Anyone have any idea what could be going on? It's driving me nuts. Buzzy steering wheel gets worse driving in certain rpm ranges.

Also i replaced spark plugs, engine idles perfectly. How is this electric steering rack programmed to give feedback?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 04:25 PM   #2
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post
I get a bunch of buzzing/vibration in the wheel. This is even on idle, i don't have to be moving at all.

Anyone have any idea what could be going on? It's driving me nuts. Buzzy steering wheel gets worse driving in certain rpm ranges.

Also i replaced spark plugs, engine idles perfectly. How is this electric steering rack programmed to give feedback?
Could be an issue with lane keep assist, mine buzzes when I'm drifting out of the lane
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 05:17 PM   #3
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmf8x View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeldoo View Post

Could be an issue with lane keep assist, mine buzzes when I'm drifting out of the lane
Not it, i have it completely turned off and also this is even while idling.

It also is very vague and you would have to pay attention to feel it but it's super annoying
Appreciate 1
bsmf8x778.50
      12-19-2020, 02:15 AM   #4
///MCollection
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C X5M M4

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
2019 BMW M2 Competi ...  [10.00]
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Is it possible that the down pipe is touching something? Maybe it's come loose and just resting on something. It's in the same area as the column
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 11:30 AM   #5
deeldoo
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MCollection View Post
Is it possible that the down pipe is touching something? Maybe it's come loose and just resting on something. It's in the same area as the column
This is what i am itching towards, i am getting someone to take a look at it, seeing if maybe something came loose.

They are evolution racewerks DP's.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 11:42 AM   #6
///MCollection
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C X5M M4

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
2019 BMW M2 Competi ...  [10.00]
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Not sure on all the brands just think it's a possibility and it's all in the right area. Hope it's nice and simple for you
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 11:19 PM   #7
JuliusKotomski
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

sounds like either the down pipe or the exhaust is touching some part of the body, also maybe sure the bracket is tight — not slightly loose, the vibrating at certain RPMs really sounds like it to me, get it up on a rack if possible and get a good look at it hope you find it!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 11:45 AM   #8
fll_punk
It Feels like Summer in October
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mini

Quote:
By the way, believe it or not, i had this same issue. I'm used to a vibration type alert for lane departure by mine sounded like a poker card on the spokes of a bike. Despite the svc department saying this was "normal" a more persistent tech discovered the problem.... There's a label on the motor that comes unglued and makes that noise when it vibrates. He relocated the label and voila! No more chatter, only vibration.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 11:48 AM   #9
bsmf8x
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by fll_punk View Post
Quote:
By the way, believe it or not, i had this same issue. I'm used to a vibration type alert for lane departure by mine sounded like a poker card on the spokes of a bike. Despite the svc department saying this was "normal" a more persistent tech discovered the problem.... There's a label on the motor that comes unglued and makes that noise when it vibrates. He relocated the label and voila! No more chatter, only vibration.
You're fortunate that you had that persistent tech a lot of these guys are clueless
Appreciate 0