European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-23-2021, 08:04 PM   #1
codys21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F83

F83 rear dog seat cover

I'm looking around for a rear seat cover for my dogs and was wondering if any F83 owners had any experience with any. My wife and I have one of the big U shaped ones for our Ford Fusion that works well but it would probably be way too much material for the two door. And want something that secures well since.. convertible...

I did quite a big of searching on this forum and on Google in general and couldn't find anything convertible specific.

Please hold your responses that are "take the other car when you want to haul your dogs"
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 08:32 PM   #2
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by codys21 View Post
I'm looking around for a rear seat cover for my dogs and was wondering if any F83 owners had any experience with any. My wife and I have one of the big U shaped ones for our Ford Fusion that works well but it would probably be way too much material for the two door. And want something that secures well since.. convertible...

I did quite a big of searching on this forum and on Google in general and couldn't find anything convertible specific.

Please hold your responses that are "take the other car when you want to haul your dogs"
I use one of these in my S4 at the moment - I don't see any reason it wouldn't work in the vert too:

https://www.amazon.com/OKMEE-Convert...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I dunno if that's what you meant by a big U-shaped one, but you still kind of want something that's going to eliminate the "footwell hole" for the dog to fall into while protecting the seats. I don't see any reason this wouldn't work.

If the dog already likes riding in the vert, it should be a sure shot. Just make sure the straps are tight, and disconnect it when the dog ain't ridin'. Mine blows around like crazy just with the windows open if my dog isn't onboard.

Just as a brief note, these things literally changed my life! My dog is soooo happy and comfy in the back seat - make sure to get one with the mesh cutout for the mid-vents so that if you have to have the top up the dog can still get some good air! That was also a lesson learned the hard way.

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2021, 08:39 PM   #3
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I use one from Orvis (in large, not XL):

https://www.orvis.com/p/grip-tight-q...0953&prefix=SI

Nothing fits perfectly but this one is pretty good and has held up for years across multiple cars. Not much can effectively cover the panels under the rear windows.
      03-23-2021, 08:51 PM   #4
blkcow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC LCI

Garage List
Do you guys do anything to “level” the back seats due to the center bump/cupholders?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 06:33 AM   #5
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkcow11291 View Post
Do you guys do anything to “level” the back seats due to the center bump/cupholders?
No I don’t. My dogs are smaller and I keep them tethered to the seat belts. They don’t walk around much back there when in the car.
      03-24-2021, 10:22 AM   #6
codys21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkcow11291 View Post
On my recent road trip, all I had back there was a carpet grip, a nice piece of carpet from when our home got new carpet, and a blanket on the carpet. (This is why I'm looking for a new, actual seat cover). But this set up sort of leveled out the back seats simply by making the transition a little smoother, but I don't think that little bump is a big issue for them anyway. Dogs lie in the weirdest positions in the most unusual locations anyway haha. For reference, my dogs are 40 and 50lbs so the two of them take up essentially the entire rear seat.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 10:23 AM   #7
codys21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post
I use one of these in my S4 at the moment - I don't see any reason it wouldn't work in the vert too:

https://www.amazon.com/OKMEE-Convert...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I dunno if that's what you meant by a big U-shaped one, but you still kind of want something that's going to eliminate the "footwell hole" for the dog to fall into while protecting the seats. I don't see any reason this wouldn't work.

If the dog already likes riding in the vert, it should be a sure shot. Just make sure the straps are tight, and disconnect it when the dog ain't ridin'. Mine blows around like crazy just with the windows open if my dog isn't onboard.

Just as a brief note, these things literally changed my life! My dog is soooo happy and comfy in the back seat - make sure to get one with the mesh cutout for the mid-vents so that if you have to have the top up the dog can still get some good air! That was also a lesson learned the hard way.
Yea, I know I definitely need something with some sort of opening by the rear vents. I always have those set to full cold for the pups.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 10:25 AM   #8
codys21
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I use one from Orvis (in large, not XL):

https://www.orvis.com/p/grip-tight-q...0953&prefix=SI

Nothing fits perfectly but this one is pretty good and has held up for years across multiple cars. Not much can effectively cover the panels under the rear windows.
I wonder how well this would work in the vert (or even the coupe) since it looks like it really depends on the sides of the cover being stuffed along the sides of the seats which really won't work in my car. I could barely get a thin blanket to fit there just to hold the blanket in place.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 11:05 AM   #9
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by codys21 View Post
I wonder how well this would work in the vert (or even the coupe) since it looks like it really depends on the sides of the cover being stuffed along the sides of the seats which really won't work in my car. I could barely get a thin blanket to fit there just to hold the blanket in place.
Works fine. I have an F83 and had an F82 before this car. You just scrunch it wherever necessary. There are a million choices out there. None are perfect for these cars unless you get something custom made.