BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-03-2021, 09:22 PM   #1
Jency_p
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

BC coilovers worth it?

Just purchased my F15 and am currently shopping for coilover. Of course the obvious choice would be to go with KW V3. Since the vehicle will be driven a couple times a month, not sure if I need those overkill coilovers. Have had over a dozen vehicles with BC coilovers and I like their quality/customer service. Insterested in hearing the feedback on those who are running or have ran BC coilovers on their F15/F16.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 11:35 PM   #2
parthpatel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M Sport

This is a fun topic 🙈
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 09:43 AM   #3
parthpatel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry, that wasn't a very helpful response. I think the general consensus is that they are a great coilover for our car. Depending on how low you go, you may experience some bottoming out in the rears. I plan on ordering a set soon with the swift spring upgrade and stiffer rear springs (14k to match the fronts). I believe this should eliminate bottoming out and I don't think it will be TOO stiff. I'm not sure if the extreme low version is necessary but I think they are a solid coilover for the money.
Appreciate 1
jmack1231302.00
      06-04-2021, 10:35 AM   #4
sukhk527
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 XDrive35i

Garage List
I'll find out shortly. The general consensus seems to be that yes they're worthwhile for the cost savings. I'm going with the linear Swift spring option on mine in the standard 14k F/12k R setup to add the stiffness in the spring to stop the travel a bit but it'll take some dialing in for sure with the dampening.

It'll be a month or so with lead time and such but I'll report back once they're on.

This isn't my first rodeo with dialing in custom static setups so let's see how she does.
2017 X5 XDrive35i X-Line | Sophisto Grey | MHD Full Flexfuel Tuned | Mosselman Turbo| Sutphin Tuning TCU | Nostrum Stage 2 HPFP | ER Charge Pipe | BimmerHausPerformance Intake and Inlet | ApexBuilt Catted DP | VRSF FMIC | Zeitronix Flexfuel Kit | KateCool Oil Cooler | Variant Wheels | Conti DWS06+ |
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 01:25 PM   #5
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

How are the roads up there in NY? I have the regular version of the BC Racing coilovers and I'm enjoying them. I've only bottomed out (just in the front I might add) a few times in the 3 weeks I've had them. I daily my car btw.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 01:54 PM   #6
Jency_p
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M302_imola View Post
How are the roads up there in NY? I have the regular version of the BC Racing coilovers and I'm enjoying them. I've only bottomed out (just in the front I might add) a few times in the 3 weeks I've had them. I daily my car btw.
Driving in NY is like driving on the surface of the moon. Especially now that the city is under construction to stimulate the economy. Before I used to know where every pothole was on my daily commute. I could of driven blindfolded and know what lane to be on and not hit a single crater. Now it all changed and am still learning. 🤣🤣
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 01:58 PM   #7
Jency_p
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parthpatel1 View Post
Sorry, that wasn't a very helpful response. I think the general consensus is that they are a great coilover for our car. Depending on how low you go, you may experience some bottoming out in the rears. I plan on ordering a set soon with the swift spring upgrade and stiffer rear springs (14k to match the fronts). I believe this should eliminate bottoming out and I don't think it will be TOO stiff. I'm not sure if the extreme low version is necessary but I think they are a solid coilover for the money.
Don't want to go too low. Want a nice stance look with 21"/22". Not looking to be extremely stiff either. And 14k in the rear sound like a great idea to avoid bottoming out. I will have two 15" subwoofers in the rear also.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2021, 10:56 PM   #8
parthpatel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Question for you and classic_erik. Do you have enough room to go lower in the rears or would you recommend getting the extreme low kit?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 07:16 AM   #9
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' X7 40i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Question for you and classic_erik. Do you have enough room to go lower in the rears or would you recommend getting the extreme low kit?
I had the rears lowered at 30.125/30.25 out of the gate and my installer said they were maxed out. That said I was bottoming out like crazy this low and wouldn't recommend it. I'm comfortable and happy with the look at 30.5" in the rear.

P.S. Pretty sure that's not an option for our F15/F16.
      06-05-2021, 07:36 AM   #10
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jency_p View Post
Driving in NY is like driving on the surface of the moon. Especially now that the city is under construction to stimulate the economy. Before I used to know where every pothole was on my daily commute. I could of driven blindfolded and know what lane to be on and not hit a single crater. Now it all changed and am still learning. 🤣🤣
lol I get it. A lot of construction in my area too. Where I bottom out the most is large dips in the road on the interstate at 70-80mph.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 10:03 AM   #11
parthpatel1
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic_erik View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I had the rears lowered at 30.125/30.25 out of the gate and my installer said they were maxed out. That said I was bottoming out like crazy this low and wouldn't recommend it. I'm comfortable and happy with the look at 30.5" in the rear.

P.S. Pretty sure that's not an option for our F15/F16.
Helpful - thanks. I see it as an option on the website but I'll probably call and confirm.
Appreciate 0