08-11-2021, 10:06 AM   #1
VTMike
Private
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 2.5, '14 X5d, '14 535xd

X5D check-engine issue...injector too high

Curious what this group thinks...

'14 X5D with about 60k.
Drove from VT to SC for the M-Driving school.
Fueled up at a station on 460 south of Lynchburg that wasn't as busy or bright, but had diesel before I was getting too, too low.

As I reached around 1/4 tank, vehicle threw a check-engine light. Stopped at a O'Reilly's and the code-reader gave me "Fuel Injector Offset Learning at Max Limit". It was a Friday evening, so I cleared it and drove to dinner and back without it coming back on. Went out again to fill the tank and it stayed off.
I called the local BMW dealership the next morning to ask if they thought I should bring it in and their position was that if I didn't have any drivability issues, I was probably fine.

Made it back home, but it came back on a few days ago (≈1300 miles later). This time it's injector 5 rather than injector 2.
The good news is that I'm now in a better position to work with the local dealership that has serviced our diesels (my F10, the F15 and my son's F30 diesel). They want to see it, of course. First opportunity is in a week (10 days from the light coming on).
I cleared it again last night ~ a bit fearful to drive it if it's seriously acting up. On the other hand, we've got the kayaks on the roof and today is a hot one, so paddling/swimming would be a great escape.
My thinking was that if it didn't come back on, I'm probably okay to use it....it did NOT come back on.

Thoughts?

I'm getting mixed opinions on running some additive through the tank.
My inclination was to run some LiquiMoly Super Diesel Additive at the oil change (due in about 500 miles). This is the 12-pack with the idea I'd run it through each of the diesels.
Service Writer that I've worked with says do NOT use any additives.

I've read about fuel contamination and the idea of the HPFP failure has me anxious...

No drivability issues at all, so I don't know.
The fact that it was injector 2 the first time and now injector 5...does that make it lean towards the shoddy fuel argument?

I have a fluid evacuator. I asked my service writer about pulling the fuel and getting a new tank. He discouraged that.

That + a fuel filter?

Ultimately, I have a Service Contract and I'm obviously not expert, so a dealer visit makes a ton of sense....

I'd love to hear thoughts form others.

Drive it for the next week or park it?
Put it out of mind until the service appt?
Additive?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 03:37 PM   #2
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

If you want BMW to honor your HPFP extended warranty, and potentially any extended fuel injector warranty in the future... do not use an additive as your SA recommends. From what I've read, BMW will sample the fuel and test for additives and/or water contamination.

I recently had 2 injectors replaced out of pocket. MY 2015 so not covered under the extended warranty, even though it most likely should be as F10 MY 2015 are covered as well as some other MY 2014/2015 I think. Been awhile since I looked at it. I'm hoping BMW adds MY 2014 and 2015 X5's to the list of covered injector warranties and reimburses me. If you end up needing injectors, file a case with NHTSA as it could help to "persuade" BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 05:44 PM   #3
VTMike
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalworks View Post
If you want BMW to honor your HPFP extended warranty, and potentially any extended fuel injector warranty in the future... do not use an additive as your SA recommends. From what I've read, BMW will sample the fuel and test for additives and/or water contamination.

I recently had 2 injectors replaced out of pocket. MY 2015 so not covered under the extended warranty, even though it most likely should be as F10 MY 2015 are covered as well as some other MY 2014/2015 I think. Been awhile since I looked at it. I'm hoping BMW adds MY 2014 and 2015 X5's to the list of covered injector warranties and reimburses me. If you end up needing injectors, file a case with NHTSA as it could help to "persuade" BMW.
Thanks for the reply...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 09:23 AM   #4
endo_r1
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 35d

This happened to me. I was low on fuel and had pumped at Esso. Went to Shell and put in a full tank of V-Power Diesel and the code cleared itself after 30 mins of driving with a few stops.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 09:32 AM   #5
VTMike
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by endo_r1 View Post
This happened to me. I was low on fuel and had pumped at Esso. Went to Shell and put in a full tank of V-Power Diesel and the code cleared itself after 30 mins of driving with a few stops.
Thanks.
I really do think this is a fuel-quality issue, but I'm still inclined to get the dealer to check to be sure.
The fact that it was different injectors, 2 then 5, makes me think that it's NOT injector failure....but if I was sufficiently knowledgeable or confident, I wouldn't be asking here...

Service appt is for a Wed drop-off, service on Thu (I think). I'll update after I hear back from them.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 07:04 PM   #6
VTMike
Private
Rep

Follow-up...
Dealer said that they couldn't access any codes (I erased it since I could see the old one and wanted to confirm that I was okay to use it while I awaited the service-visit).

They said that they road-tested and tested all they could and couldn't find any problems.

So we'll see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 04:56 PM   #7
RockChalkKU
Chump
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 LBB M2/'18 X3 M40i/'16 X5d

What does an injector placement run these days?
2010 BSM M5
2007 BSM 6mt M5
Appreciate 0