BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

09-10-2021, 03:57 AM   #1
svenker
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW x5 F15 40e

Big risk or Low risk on Android Auto without disconnecting battery

Hello everyone,

I bought an Android Auto module for my X5 and it is recommended to disconnect the battery before installation.

As I have 2 batteries & the hybrid system, disconnecting batteries and reconnecting them always drive issues at the beginning from what I read.

Do you think it is risky to just install the Android auto when car is fully off ?
I will be carefull before I plug the different items...

Any feedback is very appreciated !
Sam
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 10:11 AM   #2
topspeed55
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I heard about that too and was unsure about it like you. I have a 2016 and disconnected both batteries for a week to remove the DME. When I reconnected the battery there was zero issues and fired up just the same. I don't have a hybrid system though.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 10:27 AM   #3
corduroy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 xDrive40e (F15)

Same here, I have the 40e. I only disconnected the big 12v battery. I had 0 issues when installing my MMI.

If I had to do it again, I would probably disconnect the aux battery and disconnect the high voltage (not sure if it's for hybrid only, but link) - just in case, you're already back there anyways.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 11:31 AM   #4
j.maldo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40e iperformance

I always disconnect all the batteries, including the high voltage, for safety reasons and wait about 15min for systems to shut off/discharge. No issues at all when reconnecting power back.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2021, 05:46 AM   #5
hlrzr
Love the X5, but R1 is life!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i M-Sport

I went rogue. I initially had the carplay module and disco’d the batt when I installed it. I recently replaced that with an android HU leaving the batt connected. No issues. About a month later, my rear cam started cutting in and out. Not likely related but full disclosure.

The cam was replaced and I put the HU back in, no batt disco. No issues since. Go with the recommendation. I went this route after watching a few YouTube’s where the installer went straight for the head unit leaving the batt connected.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 11:09 AM   #6
jmack123
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenker View Post
Hello everyone,

I bought an Android Auto module for my X5 and it is recommended to disconnect the battery before installation.

As I have 2 batteries & the hybrid system, disconnecting batteries and reconnecting them always drive issues at the beginning from what I read.

Do you think it is risky to just install the Android auto when car is fully off ?
I will be carefull before I plug the different items...

Any feedback is very appreciated !
Sam
I installed a CarPlay module recently and I did disconnect just the main battery (non-hybrid though keep in mind). From what I understand, you can end up causing errors (drivetrain error etc.) if you do not disconnect the battery and let all the systems fully power off.
Appreciate 0