Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-02-2021, 12:41 PM   #1
stoes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 M3

Can't pass emissions/stock exhaust

I'm having issues passing emissions for my state inspection (TX) I bought the car with a bm3 tune , everything else stock. I bought a bm3 license and was curious if I can turn off the CEL light like people do with catless downpipes or something else to pass emissions.
I think it failed because I had the cold start delete on my tune. I removed the cold start delete but kept the tune on. I've drivin it over 100 miles and I've gone back to the inspector twice and keeps failing the emissions. Today I was looking on my tune page at possible solutions to trick the computer or something to make my car pass emissions. So I turned the cel option off. I'm really reaching here I know.. but is there any way through the bm3 tune to turn something on or off to make my car pass the inspection? I need it done ASAP and it won't complete the cycle of resetting… I can obviously remove the tune completely but I just don't see how removing the tune would help..
has anyone gone through a situation like this where your car simply won't complete the resetting cycle to pass emissions on a stock car with a tune?
Thanks
      10-02-2021, 03:54 PM   #2
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

What does the paperwork say the reason for failing was? Emissions tests usually require no more than one or two monitors not set. Others go as far as looking for evidence of ECU tamper. Not sure what your state requires. Could be as simple as flashing a stock tune but may require flashing stock and locking the ecu. Both require you to complete the drive cycle.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 06:10 PM   #3
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

BM3 disables some of the sensors, and others take forever to reset with BM3. If you're stock just flash back to the stock tune, do a few "drive cycles", and your sensors should be all green lights. I tried everything to pass in PA without cats and the only way I could pass was cats back on and stock tune.

Why do you have a CEL?
heitzke1152.50
      10-02-2021, 06:56 PM   #4
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Yo,

Sounds like the ECU smog "rediness" has not reset.

Modern OBD 2 ECU's have functionality that if the sensors read within a set range, the "green lights" activate in the ECU. So, when the inspector plugs the car into the car if the ECU has not reached "readiness" the car fails. Here in Cali, they sometimes don't even put the car on the dyno, and pass the car. The idea is that the "mandated" sensors
(you can thank all us out here in Cali for that, gotta love CARB...) cannot be tampered with, so no need to sniff or put a load on the car.

As TJ pointed out, it probably easier to return to stock, drive around for a while (like 500 miles min) and have someone check your readiness (BM3 should have this?).

Anyway, I may be off a bit on some details as California is a different country when comes to passing smog. New rules every week it seems.

Good luck and keep us posted.

josh
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 08:18 AM   #5
stoes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 M3

I flashed to stock and drove it a couple days (hated not being tuned) and passed. Thanks everyone