Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-09-2021, 12:37 PM   #1
ajh77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i coupe

F83 scratching from top operation..

Hello,

Have a 2018 M4 convertible and noticed on the driver side scratches on the roof. Does not appear to be vandalism and I think it's the operation of the top since the same scratches are not on the passenger side top.

Has anyone has this problem and what was the fix ?

Thank you
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 12:43 PM   #2
ChuMpion3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT (x2)

Did something get caught in there that caused this (like an acorn or stick)?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 12:46 PM   #3
ajh77
Private First Class
Rep

No nothing got caught.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 01:20 PM   #4
Trevorstein
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Trabant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh77 View Post
Hello,

Have a 2018 M4 convertible and noticed on the driver side scratches on the roof. Does not appear to be vandalism and I think it's the operation of the top since the same scratches are not on the passenger side top.

Has anyone has this problem and what was the fix ?

Thank you
Wow, Your top doesn't look well taken care of!?!

(Polish & a Good Ceramic Coat and/or PPF)

I can't quite make it out, Is this the front panel?

Not normal!

Even if there was something in your trunk, the way the top folds, it couldn't happen.

Unless, there was something on one of the inside trim/linings.

Good Luck!

10-09-2021, 01:24 PM   #5
ajh77
Private First Class
Rep

No, I assumed not normal. I am not getting the car detailed until this problem is fixed.

I am going to take the car to the dealer Monday as it's under factory warranty still, but

Someone else with another F83 has to have experienced the same problem and I would like to know what the cause was.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 01:59 PM   #6
icegrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Your car is a problem maker:
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 02:11 PM   #7
therealkenc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Oxide Grey iX M60

For some context: Did you just get the car? Are you certain the scratches showed up after you got it?

Hard to tell from your pics, but I'm guessing the scratches are towards the rear of the roof section that's closest to the windshield?

What led you to conclude that it has to do with roof operations, as opposed to an act of vandalism or a prank/accident e.g. a dog placed on the driver side of the roof for a few moments?

If it's the roof, you should be able to replicate it, unless it was, as others suggested, something that got caught between the roof sections and is now dislodged. Even that would be quite unlikely as the gaps between the roof sections while folded are large enough that it should be obvious to you if something were caught.
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2021, 02:17 PM   #8
ajh77
Private First Class
Rep

I have had the car since June 2018 I had it detailed after I got it and the scratches were not there. I use the top operation a lot.

I live in a house with cameras at my car so it is not vandalism. I don't own any pets so it's not a dog out the window. I never place anything on top of the top.

The scratches are not deep as I can take my finger and some water and they will considerably lessen if I rub one.

The fact they they are only on the driver side top of the car, above where the door is, tells me that it's the mechanism some how.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 02:29 PM   #9
therealkenc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Oxide Grey iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh77 View Post

I live in a house with cameras at my car so it is not vandalism. I don't own any pets so it's not a dog out the window. I never place anything on top of the top.

The fact they they are only on the driver side top of the car, above where the door is, tells me that it's the mechanism some how.
I wouldn't necessarily rule out something that happened outside of your home, unless you've never parked it outside of your garage.

That aside, if it's the roof mechanism then you should be able to replicate it. That's what the dealer is going to try to ascertain if you bring it in anyway.

Sorry I can't be more helpful - I haven't experienced this with my F83 (also a 2018).
Appreciate 0