ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-03-2022, 09:22 AM   #1
gerri
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F83 - E46 318Ci Cabrio

How to have 2 profiles with the same key. F83

I am looking on the forum for an answer that I have not found. Can I have two different profiles using the same key? If yes, can you explain to me how to set them and how to use them since I open with the same key. Thank you for the answers.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 09:24 AM   #2
gunsmoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerri View Post
I am looking on the forum for an answer that I have not found. Can I have two different profiles using the same key? If yes, can you explain to me how to set them and how to use them since I open with the same key. Thank you for the answers.
There is a menu in the settings where you can name profiles and select one.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 09:59 AM   #3
gerri
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoker View Post
There is a menu in the settings where you can name profiles and select one.

I have seen this menu but I did not understand how to create two profiles on the same key.

Last edited by gerri; 02-03-2022 at 11:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 01:52 PM   #4
b5gt28rs
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Do the seat buttons change the entire profile setting, or only those related to the seat? If it's the former, you'd just have to hit one of the seat memory buttons after you get in the car. If it's the later, you can only save one profile per key and you'd have to use idrive to switch back and forth.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 02:13 PM   #5
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

The profiles are actually stored in the car, the key just remembers the last used setting.

Best is to setup 2 profiles in the car. Name them to what you want.

Now Choose profile 1.

Now setup the seat positions, mirrors, steering, a/c settings, radio buttons, etc… to what you like. There are 2 seat settings per profile.

Now select the 2nd profile.
Repeat above steps to setup as desired.

Once you have setup the 2 different profiles, change between them to check that everything works as expected. Both these profiles are now also setup/ linked to the current key being used.
Lock the car.

Now take the 2nd key. Unlock. Go to profiles.
Change the profile in the car. It should change all settings (mirror, seats, etc) as expected. Change profile to the other one. Settings should change as expected.
Lock car.

Now both your keys are linked.

—————————

If you want to use the keys to automatically switch profiles between 1 and 2. Do the following.

Unlock using Key#1. Get in car. Change profile to 1. Get out of the car. Lock car.
Unlock using Key#2. Get in car. Change profile to 2. Get out of the car. Lock car.

Now when you use Key#1 to unlock, the car will open with Profile 1 enabled.
If you use Key#2 to unlock, the car will open with Profile 2 enabled.

Just be aware that the key always remembers the last settings used.

———————————

Another way is to setup the profiles settings to always choose profile when opening. This way, when you unlock the car, the drive screen is asking you to select the profile. Choose the profile you want and the car switches to the appropriate settings.

——————————

If you only use 1 key between different people, then use above method and select profile when first opening the car.
If the 2 people both use their own keys, then use the method described earlier.

—————————-

Each profile has 2 seat positions, 2 mirror positions. This you change by pressing the appropriate seat selection button.

It is not the most intuitive system developed by BMW, but simple once you understand.
      02-04-2022, 05:12 AM   #6
gerri
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post

It is not the most intuitive system developed by BMW, but simple once you understand.

That's right. Many thanks!
Appreciate 0