BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-17-2022, 08:05 PM   #1
Rwc0920
Rep
Drives: 16 X5 35i Xdrive M Sport

Memory seats

Anyone else find it strange that the memory seats require you to hold down the preset till all the adjustments are finished?......or am I doing it wrong?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 08:42 PM   #2
Xolinlevh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwc0920 View Post
Anyone else find it strange that the memory seats require you to hold down the preset till all the adjustments are finished?......or am I doing it wrong?
Safety thing, requires you to hold it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 06:56 AM   #3
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 x30i / '12 Infiniti M37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwc0920 View Post
Yes, not the best idea in the world.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 08:37 AM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

I haven't checked on my f15 & f06 yet...but in the past...BMW's design for the memory seat buttons had two different operational parameters.
  • TTB - one touch mode
  • DTB - press & hold mode

The press & hold operation was indeed designed for safety. For example, if the vehicle is "underway" and something dropped between the seat & door (like a cell phone) and hit the memory button hard enough to activate it...it could cause the seat to move to a dangerous position (like toward the steering wheel) and the driver may not be able to stop the movement in a timely fashion. So a press & hold of the button is implemented for safety...if pressing the button was an accident...then the seat would only move briefly instead of continuing on to another memory preset.

Many times BMW design architecture remains the same across multiple generations...perhaps it still does. See the info below to see if the memory buttons operate differently based on if the door is open or closed...and if the engine is running or off or if the ignition is on or off. Or you can check your owners manual (or the owners manual built into iDrive) to see if there are still two different operational parameters for the seat memory buttons):
{this info below is from the e38/e39/e53 era...but the operational parameters may still be similar to the Fxx chassis models. KL R = ignition position 1 & KL 15 = ignition position 2}

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-18-2022 at 08:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 09:07 AM   #5
Florida-X3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 x30i / '12 Infiniti M37

If you drop your cell phone while driving (you shouldn't have had it in your had in the first place) just leave it until parked. It's still in range of blu-tooth and you should have it on DND so texts aren't tempting you ..... just saying. My Infiniti you don't have to hold down the button and in 10 years, never even came close to having another memory position get pushed by accident.

Frankly if you drop anything between the door and seat, safety dictates don't go fumbling for it while driving, it can wait. Really not an issue for me as I can't recall the last time I used it. If the wife drives the car last and I open the door with the key in my pocket, the seat moves to my setting anyhow, never had a need to change it manually. Everyone's mileage will vary.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2022, 06:14 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

In regard to the various operating parameters…it’s not about waiting to retrieve the object that you dropped or fumbling for it…but if the operating parameters was only one-touch…if the dropped object activated the seat the movement does not stop & it could push the driver up against the steering wheel as well as reducing leg room to press the brakes (if the memory seat setting that is activated is for a much shorter person).

By the memory button requiring to be pushed & held…the initial drop of the object will only minimally move the seat…because the button would need to be pressed and held to continue operation.

BTW…checking the owners manual does reveal that BMW has kept the two operating parameters for the memory seat buttons. They now call it COMFORT FUNCTION & SAFETY MODE…if you use the comfort function mode…the seat operation is automatic…thus no need to push & hold the button.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-18-2022 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2022, 03:46 PM   #7
oem.plus_440gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i XDrive GC

Garage List
Not exactly related to this, but not sure if anyone else has experience their seat moving on its own. My wife mentioned this has happened twice to her in the past few weeks. Not sure if its a general electrical issue related to the fact that its still on the original battery from 2015 (weak battery causing funky issue) or if its the seat motor/FEM. Is there a simple way to reset the seat motor?
Current: 2019 440i xDrive Gran Coupe - Alpine White, Coral Red Dakota Leather, 8AT, MSport, THP, BM3; 2015 X5 35i xDrive - Mineral White Metallic, Mocha Dakota Leather; Previous: 2015 Subaru WRX - World Rally Blue, Premium, FBO+Tune
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 06:45 PM   #8
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep
Drives: BLACK 2015 528I

Well, it's auto one-touch if the door is first opened. Once the door is shut, it stops, and you have to hold it down to complete unless you waited for it to complete when the door was still open.