BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-21-2022, 10:20 AM   #1
cherishzm
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mazdaspeed MX-5

Considering Purchase of M3

Hello guys,

Can you guys look at the attached CarFax history report and tell me if it can be considered as a well maintained one? I've just sold my low mileage E89 Z4 30i because I wanted to get my hands on M3 - my plan is to drive it on weekends adding couple thousand miles a year.

How much repair/maintenance budget do I need to set aside for this??
Attached Images
File Type: pdf CARFAX Vehicle History Report.pdf (1.39 MB, 75 views)
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 10:53 AM   #2
tonytones
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 SOON

did a search looks like this was the original seats?

https://www.bridgewateracura.com/inv...wd93548py40336

that showed up when I googled the vin#
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 01:57 AM   #3
alpin3m3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - F82 M4

I'm seeing a lot of routine services on that carfax report but no major services. Keep in mind that the big ticket repair items on the m3 are the: 1) rod bearings and 2) throttle actuators. At that mileage both of them could be original or they could have been replaced by an independant mechanic/shop. If it was the latter it wouldn't show up on carfax unfortunately.

Rod bearing services run about 2-2.5k in my area including parts, and throttle accuators run about $600 and you need 2 of them so $1200 + labor which is probably gonna be 4-6 hours. Rod bearings are best done as preventative maintanence to prevent catastrophic engine failure. There are people with high mileage on stock bearings but engine replacements aren't cheap on these cars so it's up to you whether or not you want to chance it. I personally would since my original bearings failed at 90k and the engine needed to be replaced. When throttle accuators fail the car will go into limp mode but typically won't cause any other damage so you can wait until they fail before you replace them.

Since this is a 6 speed car, it could also be on the original clutch and flywheel. 08 cars need the flywheel upgraded to the new style to match the clutch since they used a different set up on the first year of these cars and those parts are no longer in production. Figure about $1200 for these parts + labor. Clutches can last a long time but it really depends on how the previous owners took care of the car. It could have already been replaced.

Aside from that there's tires and brakes which should be replaced when necessary, and oil, coolant, diff/trans fluid, spark plugs, and filters which should be replaced at the manufacturers reccomended intervals. I would set aside at least a few thousand dollars if you're planning on buying one of these cars.

Don't let this scare you, I love my m3 and it always brings a smile to my face when I take it out for a spirited drive. Don't be afraid of buying a higher mileage car with more maintenance history either. Do your research regarding these cars and don't rush to purchase the first one you like. I waited quite a bit to find my car but I was picky and knew my budget and didn't want to settle for anything other than alpine white with the carbon fiber roof.
Appreciate 1