Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

07-06-2022, 07:25 PM   #1
Dyl F80
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 E90 328XI

F80 misfire no cel

Over the past month my f80 has had a misfire you can only hear in the exhaust, I’ve searched around for a long time on forums hoping to find a fix. Which I did not.

I noticed a lot of people have the issue of the s55 engine That has a lump or misfire but no cel occurs and no codes appear. It somewhat sounds like a small pop on idle but only noticeable to the trained eye.

I had installed new OEM spark plugs and this did NOT solve my issue.

So I ordered NGK plugs and Delphi ignition coils from FCP euro, installed it myself and the worst happened.

INSTANT CEL.

It stunk like gasoline and it had the rpm bouncing all over the place and a clear misfire was noticed. So I questioned myself and the parts. Because I was extremely skeptical about installing the NGK plugs.

Took it for a pull and it made 496 whp from 482. But it still ran like shit.

Reset adaptations and filled the tank full of 94

NO CEL!! Turn the car on, and it runs better then when I got it from the dealer. Amazing. Took it for 30-40 pulls and not 1 issue, and it completely fixed any issue plus has WAY more power. Even the exhaust sounds different and snaps like I’ve never heard before

The reason I am posting this, is I’m hoping I can help solve someone’s issue with the strange misfire.
I will also NEVER run oem plugs again. NGK FOR LIFE

NGK gapped at .020
Delphi ignition coils
MPE titanium exhaust
Bm3 stage 1 93 octane
67,000 KM
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 08:33 PM   #2
JAI///M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2018 F80  [0.00]
Interesting for sure. Glad it worked out for you. How did the old spark plug electrodes look?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 08:39 PM   #3
Dyl F80
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 E90 328XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAI///M3 View Post
Interesting for sure. Glad it worked out for you. How did the old spark plug electrodes look?
The old "new plug" which was OEM with 2000km on them, look to be as they had blown up almost. There was signs of combustion up the side of the plug and the electrodes looked fried. They where ashy white, and looked slightly melted.
Appreciate 0