BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

07-07-2022, 11:04 PM   #1
911r
Captain
Rep
Drives: slowly

Anyone own an MRF/Valaforza X-Pipe?

Long shot, but curious if anyone has an MRF/Valaforza X-Pipe — preferably local to SoCal. As most know, these X-Pipes are near impossible to find at this point, and most owners aren't willing to sell.

I'm hoping to scan one or at least inspect it / learn about it further as an aid to better develop the x-pipe I am making for my current car. The plan is to make it out of Titanium, and have a forwarded position cross over (x); AFAIK, the two biggest x-pipes that utilize this design are Bimmerworld, and MRF's system. I have the Bimmerworld's design readily available to study, but not the MRF design. My last M3 had Bimmerworld headers + x-pipe, however for this car I'm looking to go even crazier while maintaining stock headers for emissions purposes (swapping back to stock mid section). Not simply looking to "mold" and resell.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 11:08 PM   #2
slcook54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 MR M3 / 2018 SMB M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911r View Post
Long shot, but curious if anyone has an MRF/Valaforza X-Pipe — preferably local to SoCal. As most know, these X-Pipes are near impossible to find at this point, and most owners aren't willing to sell.

I'm hoping to scan one or at least inspect it / learn about it further as an aid to better develop the x-pipe I am making for my current car. The plan is to make it out of Titanium, and have a forwarded position cross over (x); AFAIK, the two biggest x-pipes that utilize this design are Bimmerworld, and MRF's system. I have the Bimmerworld's design readily available to study, but not the MRF design. My last M3 had Bimmerworld headers + x-pipe, however for this car I'm looking to go even crazier while maintaining stock headers for emissions purposes (swapping back to stock mid section). Not simply looking to "mold" and resell.
You see berns 's thread?

Titanium X-pipe interest https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1936652

There was this thread a while back which turned into a trolling thread. But maybe a lead?

MRF X-Pipe https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1863389
      07-07-2022, 11:12 PM   #3
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcook54 View Post
Quote:

You see berns 's thread?

I have! Have contemplated it greatly—my biggest hangup is the positioning of the "X". Lots to be gained.

Edit: And thanks for the lead! I actually know the seller, but he's holding off — a lot have asked to scan it so he is fairly protective. Understandable! Although my intentions are clear.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 11:35 PM   #4
slcook54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 MR M3 / 2018 SMB M3 CS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcook54 View Post
Quote:

You see berns 's thread?

I have! Have contemplated it greatly—my biggest hangup is the positioning of the "X". Lots to be gained.

Edit: And thanks for the lead! I actually know the seller, but he's holding off — a lot have asked to scan it so he is fairly protective. Understandable! Although my intentions are clear.
Did you read the latest in his thread? They are doing the forward X setup
      07-07-2022, 11:44 PM   #5
berns
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

It's true. We're going to do a full titanium forward x design x pipe with or without resonators. A friend just sent me a pic of an MRF X pipe. It looks like a real pile of shit. All straight lines, no bends, garbage welds. The one big thread talking about its mythical powers is a supercharged car that went from 100cell catted akra to catless MRF. The gains are in line with removing cats from a car with FI. In any event, data and interest is there for the forward X design, and with my car itself being pretty optimized for NA and having made good power in the past, it'll be cool to see how the forward X changes things. We've received a few deposits and the fabricator will be doing some design work this weekend. Stay tuned!

MRF (honestly, anyone with some steel tube and a welder could make this for very cheap)

and here's the last TI stock-location X pipe made by Nolan, who is making the new forward x TI setup for us.

Last edited by berns; 07-07-2022 at 11:50 PM..
Appreciate 3
911r897.00
BP709234.50
DRLane3996.00
      07-07-2022, 11:50 PM   #6
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns View Post
It's true. We're going to do a full titanium forward x design x pipe with or without resonators. A friend just sent me a pic of an MRF X pipe. It looks like a real pile of shit. All straight lines, no bends, garbage welds. The one big thread talking about its mythical powers is a supercharged car that went from 100cell catted akra to catless MRF. The gains are in line with removing cats from a car with FI. In any event, data and interest is there for the forward X design, and with my car itself being pretty optimized for NA and having made good power in the past, it'll be cool to see how the forward X changes things. We've received a few deposits and the fabricator will be doing some design work this weekend. Stay tuned!
So glad I'm not alone on this journey! I'll be following your progress and results very closely.

Although the owner of the MRF x-pipe I know won't let me scan it, perhaps he'd let me dyno the car with it installed — and your car with your x-pipe installed can be dyno'd too … all else being equal (dyno, weather, similar mods, etc) it would be a very cool experiment to potentially dispel the mythical rumor of the MRF x-pipe.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 12:02 AM   #7
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
So glad I'm not alone on this journey! I'll be following your progress and results very closely.

Although the owner of the MRF x-pipe I know won't let me scan it, perhaps he'd let me dyno the car with it installed — and your car with your x-pipe installed can be dyno'd too … all else being equal (dyno, weather, similar mods, etc) it would be a very cool experiment to potentially dispel the mythical rumor of the MRF x-pipe.
Truthfully I don't care about the MRF x pipe. This car has been around long enough to know it'll just barely get to 400whp on a gracious dyno with 91 octane and the best tune money can buy. My car made 392 right out of the box, and 398 with a gallon of E85. I've since added another 100rpm (8600rpm redline) and a few adjustments from Randy at Epic. Been quite a few track events since then, so not sure how much power it's still making, but it feels amazing. I don't think there is anything groundbreaking happening from any X pipe, but of course a forward design vs stock design is going to have some differences. We will see... My main motivation in this project is just having more purely motorsport pieces made with amazing quality, the absolute lowest weight and the best performance. I think a stock location x would have been fine too, but everyone wants to see more forward X, so we'll do it.
Appreciate 1
911r897.00
      07-08-2022, 12:08 AM   #8
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Truthfully I don't care about the MRF x pipe. This car has been around long enough to know it'll just barely get to 400whp on a gracious dyno with 91 octane and the best tune money can buy. My car made 392 right out of the box, and 398 with a gallon of E85. I've since added another 100rpm (8600rpm redline) and a few adjustments from Randy at Epic. Been quite a few track events since then, so not sure how much power it's still making, but it feels amazing. I don't think there is anything groundbreaking happening from any X pipe, but of course a forward design vs stock design is going to have some differences. We will see... My main motivation in this project is just having more purely motorsport pieces made with amazing quality, the absolute lowest weight and the best performance. I think a stock location x would have been fine too, but everyone wants to see more forward X, so we'll do it.
My previous car ran on I believe the same dyno your car was tested on. Of course, a ton of variables so it's not a conducive study—but I think there is a lot to be said for the forward "X".

Tuned by Randy as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 12:17 AM   #9
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
My previous car ran on I believe the same dyno your car was tested on. Of course, a ton of variables so it's not a conducive study—but I think there is a lot to be said for the forward "X".

Tuned by Randy as well.
Awesome. 91 octane and which x pipe?
Here's mine. MS X-pipe, akra rear, MS pulley/intake, Epic OTS tune.

Appreciate 1
911r897.00
      07-08-2022, 12:19 AM   #10
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Tuned by Randy as well.
Awesome. 91 octane and which x pipe?
Here's mine. MS X-pipe, akra rear, MS pulley/intake, Epic OTS tune.

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
I'm 91 OCT, Epic (street tune), MS intake & pulleys, and Bimmerworld headers & x-pipe — stock rear section.

EAS dyno.
Appreciate 1
slcook541863.00
      07-08-2022, 12:20 AM   #11
berns
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I'm 91 OCT, Epic (street tune), EAS intake & pulleys, and Bimmerworld headers & x-pipe — stock rear section.

EAS dyno.
Ah, the headers. Well, in any event, I'll re-dyno my car before and after the new x pipe goes in.
Appreciate 1
911r897.00
      07-08-2022, 05:13 PM   #12
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: an E92

My favorite part of the Epic tune is just how damn reliable and consistent it is.
Appreciate 1
911r897.00
      07-11-2022, 08:34 PM   #13
reidetailing
Alex - IG @screamer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 SS E90, 11 Moonstone E92

Is the Challenge Race X-Pipe a forward X-pipe?
Pic for reference:

- 2008 BMW E90 M3 - Silverstone - Racecar
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 08:37 PM   #14
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidetailing View Post
Is the Challenge Race X-Pipe a forward X-pipe?
Pic for reference:

Don't believe so, if it were, the cross over would be somewhere around here:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2022, 09:08 PM   #15
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
The drama is thicc

Anyway i'll just drop this here. Terrible recording with a first gen gopro that doesn't do it justice.

a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 2
911r897.00
DrFerry6731.50
      07-11-2022, 09:20 PM   #16
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

I've had a Titanium forward x-merge xpipe done before. It was custom-made, and the sound was incredibly loud due to the resonance of the thinner titanium metal. I didn't have it long enough to study the power gains but I ended up selling it to another member here on M3post who is thoroughly enjoying it on his track car.
I'm looking to revisit this project in the future if I'm able to get my hands on the MRF xpipe but for now I am happy with my Akrapovic.

Last edited by GORDON.M3; 07-11-2022 at 09:27 PM..
Appreciate 4
slcook541863.00
911r897.00
DRLane3996.00
DrFerry6731.50