Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-30-2022, 05:40 PM   #1
Mck444
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 650i

Full Bavsound Upgrade on F82 M4 w/ HK?

Hi Guys,

Just got an F82 M4 with the HK system and pretty disappointed with them. Have had HK in a 16' 740i before and they also didn't sound too great. Came from a 6 series with the Bang and Olufsen so I feel like this new system is kind of a downgrade. Looking to upgrade with Bavsound and replace with the speakers upgrade, ghost subwoofers, and revenant pro amp. Has anyone had experience with the full setup like this? Is the amp even worth it for $1899? Also a long shot but has anyone compared the upgraded Bavsound with a Bang and Olufsen system?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 08:31 PM   #2
f80tanz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mck444 View Post
Hi Guys,

Just got an F82 M4 with the HK system and pretty disappointed with them. Have had HK in a 16' 740i before and they also didn't sound too great. Came from a 6 series with the Bang and Olufsen so I feel like this new system is kind of a downgrade. Looking to upgrade with Bavsound and replace with the speakers upgrade, ghost subwoofers, and revenant pro amp. Has anyone had experience with the full setup like this? Is the amp even worth it for $1899? Also a long shot but has anyone compared the upgraded Bavsound with a Bang and Olufsen system?

Thanks
Hi there,

This might not be the answer you were looking for, but figured I'd throw it out there. When I was looking for an upgrade to my F80's HK setup, I was looking at both Bavsound and a company called Integral Audio. I have nothing against Bavsound as I haven't heard the full setup in person, and you can find plenty of reviews on this forum. In the end, I decided to go with the full Integral Audio setup. It included replacement speakers for your front doors (mid and tweeters), a custom crossover in each front door, under seat subwoofer replacements, a separate subwoofer w/ custom plug-and-play enclosure in the trunk, and an amp to power that sub. The Integral setup makes use of your current back door speakers (or in your case w/ an f82, rear speakers), and also makes use of the stock HK amp. With the amp and sub in the trunk, you really don't lose any practicality in storage space, which is nice. The sub mounts in the little storage cubby in the side, and the amp has a custom rack that mounts in the spare tire area.

I am no audiophile, but will try to best describe the difference between stock and Integral. With the stock setup, the mid range speakers in the door felt like they were being forced to handle a lot more (in particular low-end bass) than they could chew. The crossover really helps to divide that responsibility well between the mid range and the subs. The new interior speakers sound crisp, even at high volumes with the windows down. The sub in the trunk makes the low-frequency bass feel very clear, MAN what a difference! I forgot to mention that they also include a separate control that is installed up front that can switch between (4) modes of listening of your choice, as well as a knob to control the volume of the trunk sub.

Kevin from Integral is on the forum- he's a great resource if you need to ask questions, and happens to be the owner of Integral (and a stand-up guy).

Cheers
Appreciate 0