Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

10-11-2022, 09:54 PM   #1
TanziniteBlueM4
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

Throttle Valve Cleaning

Has anyone cleaned their throttle valve yet? Either due to a top mount Intercooler leak or just out of maintenance? I would like to know how you did it!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 11:05 AM   #2
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

I suspect this isn't exactly on anyone's maintenance list because of how little the throttle valve actually does on our engines. Because actual engine throttling is managed by the Valvetronic system, the traditional throttle body is only there as a failsafe. In normal operation it's always wide open so not only will you not get sticking or inconsistent low-throttle flow from contamination like traditional systems can but you probably won't be building up any grime around the edges anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 07:10 PM   #3
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanziniteBlueM4 View Post
Has anyone cleaned their throttle valve yet? Either due to a top mount Intercooler leak or just out of maintenance? I would like to know how you did it!
I tried the CRC spray valve cleaner through the MAP sensor port. It all goes through the throttle body so I guess it gets cleaned. My intent was to clean any gunk off my valves, and was done about the 60K mile mark.

I'm not sure the TB gets any gunk on it during regular (no TMIC leak) use. You're probably over thinking it or just worrying.
      10-12-2022, 07:15 PM   #4
TanziniteBlueM4
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanziniteBlueM4 View Post
I tried the CRC spray valve cleaner through the MAP sensor port. It all goes through the throttle body so I guess it gets cleaned. My intent was to clean any gunk off my valves, and was done about the 60K mile mark.

I'm not sure the TB gets any gunk on it during regular (no TMIC leak) use. You're probably over thinking it or just worrying.
Mines pretty dirty due to TMIC leak. This is what it looks like right now. My F83 is at 73k miles now. I saw it while changing the Intercooler and jpipe
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 05:12 AM   #5
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Don't wash all that crud down the line. Gotta pull off the TB and Manifold, and scrub them clean. I'd wash the manifold in soapy water, and use carb cleaner or alcohol on the TB.