BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

11-11-2022, 07:07 PM   #1
Dr.Amro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 760i ,2013 Escalade

Ceramic coating VS PPF or nothing

Some of us are receiving our cars soon , and I wanted to ask if someone here is experienced in paint protections since I have no experience with that , What do you guys recommend ? I heard that ceramic coatings show water stains by time that sticks to the surface and very hard to remove not sure if that's true .
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 07:17 PM   #2
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Amro View Post
Some of us are receiving our cars soon , and I wanted to ask if someone here is experienced in paint protections since I have no experience with that , What do you guys recommend ? I heard that ceramic coatings show water stains by time that sticks to the surface and very hard to remove not sure if that's true .
I have had 4 or 5 cars ceramic coated and have not had any water stains. I'm going to have it done again with my 760. It makes keeping the car clean significantly easier. To do ceramic properly is labor intensive and I suspect (but do not know for sure) that the reported problems were a result of amateur and/or improper prep and application. I've had all of mine done by the same shop and they will take a full day for prep, application and curing -- and charge accordingly. I'm happy to pay them because they know what they are doing. The ceramic also -- like any product applied to the exterior -- will do better if the car is garaged and infrequently left outside.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 08:55 PM   #3
Dr.Amro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 760i ,2013 Escalade

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
I have had 4 or 5 cars ceramic coated and have not had any water stains. I'm going to have it done again with my 760. It makes keeping the car clean significantly easier. To do ceramic properly is labor intensive and I suspect (but do not know for sure) that the reported problems were a result of amateur and/or improper prep and application. I've had all of mine done by the same shop and they will take a full day for prep, application and curing -- and charge accordingly. I'm happy to pay them because they know what they are doing. The ceramic also -- like any product applied to the exterior -- will do better if the car is garaged and infrequently left outside.
Thanks so much for replying , i was actually hesitant about that but will definitely consider it , I was planning on making my BMW dealer do it but as you mentioned its better to look for good shop with good reputation .
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 08:46 AM   #4
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Amro View Post
Thanks so much for replying , i was actually hesitant about that but will definitely consider it , I was planning on making my BMW dealer do it but as you mentioned its better to look for good shop with good reputation .
I would not have the dealer do ceramic coat. They will either do it themselves in the fastest way possible or farm it out and up the charge so they make a profit too. Same goes for radar detectors. The latter is a mistake I made on a Mercedes that cost me a lot of money to have the detector uninstalled and replaced by one that worked.
Appreciate 0