BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-11-2022, 11:44 AM   #1
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

So... Long story short, I bought this kit from a forum member and 2 of the caliper pistons are showing some degradation/"pealing".

At first I thought it was corrosion but it almost appears that there's some sort of high temp coating on the piston itself that's pealing off. I measured a 0.2mm smaller diameter where this issue is appearing (44mm original size).

Has anyone seen this happen to pistons?

Last edited by spxxx; 12-14-2022 at 02:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 05:15 PM   #2
Davisca455
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Looks similar to galling that I've experienced with hydraulic linear actuators here at work.

Sometimes material pairs don't care for each other when they touch, so I'm curious if the piston bore in the caliper has similar markings.

Chris,
2008 E92
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 05:27 PM   #3
Adrian g.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: German

Looks like the coating on the piston is deteriorating. Question is why? Mine look completely normal. Perhaps you can buy new pistons?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 09:42 PM   #4
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian g. View Post
Looks like the coating on the piston is deteriorating. Question is why? Mine look completely normal. Perhaps you can buy new pistons?
Hopefully the seller is helpful and is willing to go that route as they're unusable in their current state. Just glad I caught it before install

That's assuming the pistons are still for sale from PFC. Anyone know if the ZR54 kit from the M235iR is the same design as the Z54 kit? I assume so based on the info I've found from PFC and Bimmerworld.
      12-12-2022, 10:26 AM   #5
jritt@essex
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

OP,
That does not look like a coating coming off. To me it looks like debris got into the piston bores around the outside of the pistons. Sometimes during a pad change, the pistons get pushed back into the bore with dirt on them (this is why the pistons on a racing caliper always need to be wiped down prior to pushing them back in). If the pistons are pushed in dirty, the dirt on the sides of the piston is ground between the wall of the piston and the wall of the caliper. My hunch is that if you pull out the damaged pistons and shine a light inside the piston bore of the caliper, you're going to see matching scores/scrape marks.

If only the pistons are damaged, you can replace them with new pistons. If the inside of the piston bores inside the caliper body itself are damaged, the caliper is unfortunately junk. With that type of damage, the caliper likely won't hold good pressure. The gouges would allow brake fluid to slip past the piston seals. You'd get a soft brake pedal, and consistent brake fluid loss around the affected pistons.

Wish I had better news.
Appreciate 2
chicagob5256.50
Davisca4552207.50
      12-13-2022, 08:54 PM   #6
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

You should fully remove the pistons and inspect the entire caliper to know what you're really dealing with. Those appear to have gotten seriously hot.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 12:09 AM   #7
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
You should fully remove the pistons and inspect the entire caliper to know what you're really dealing with. Those appear to have gotten seriously hot.
Yeah the seller from the forum agreed to take a return, just wish they were inspected before shipping to avoid this hassle/cost of buying a second set of calipers as a backup (which oddly also have a similar issue)
On that note, if anyone wants a set a Z54 Calipers with slight damage to the tips of the pistons let me know! They're no where near as bad as these but should probably be replaced too... Bad luck all around.
      12-14-2022, 01:05 PM   #8
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

That's why I bit the bullet and bought new.
Love my AP's (they totally eliminated knockback), but I haven't had them long enough to notice any pad taper. Then again, I swap pads for street and track so I'll rotate them to avoid any potential tapering issues.
Any of the top tier kits you're looking at will serve you well.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2022, 01:08 PM   #9
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
That's why I bit the bullet and bought new.
Love my AP's (they totally eliminated knockback), but I haven't had them long enough to notice any pad taper. Then again, I swap pads for street and track so I'll rotate them to avoid any potential tapering issues.
Any of the top tier kits you're looking at will serve you well.
Yeah honestly my Stoptech Trophies are basically new since this rebuild with added 4lb knockback springs. Think I'm just going to keep them after this whole nightmare. Cheap pads, super light and zero pad taper...