BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

12-22-2022, 11:34 PM   #1
2021BMW745e
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 530e

Extended G70 Test Drives: Nearly Identical 760i vs. i7

Please note I use several links in my post to go to outside content (the cars I test drove, the build I'm doing, etc.)

While my 2 year old 745e (PHEV) was getting an oil change at the local dealer, we test drove identical Brooklyn Grey sedans, a2023 760i and a 2023 i7. They had nearly identical equipment, although the i7 had the Theater Screen.

We first drove the 760i. As expected, the interior was gorgeous. It was an experience. And the seats were SO COMFORTABLE. The seats in my G12 are very comfortable, but this is next level, I felt completely cradled. The massage worked great too and I was able to trigger it with a voice command. The touchscreen is fast, very fast, which is remarkable given the chip shortages. Everything was intuitive to the touch and the little bar helped a lot. My spouse disliked not having buttons for a few things but I quickly got in the mode of finding what I needed and when I didn't, I just used voice commands and they worked 100% of the time. The car was very powerful but smooth and it handled quite well for it's size, as I am used to with my car. The B&W sound was amazing and I loved the interface for the SiriusXM. This car has a flawless driving experience if you want a comfortable and fast car. Overall, we loved the car but after the test drive thought we'd wait a year or two for me to get a demo or something where someone else takes the hit.

Then we drove the i7. We first brought the screen down and that's really cool, you can have it down and have plenty of room up front. It's just that getting it down requires certain positions and then you can back up again. That was the only downside. I LOVED THIS CAR! Of course my car is an EV for ~ 20 miles, but it's mostly ICE, so I've never driven a pure EV. Holy cow, the power delivery is instantaneous. So smooth. My husband put it in Sport mode and I floored it and our necks yanked back it was so powerful. The sales rep then showed us how we could toggle some options on the EV system and it created a 1-pedal driving mode where when you lifted up on the gas it started regenerative braking. It was really cool and fun, and I guess helps build the battery back up. The car was whisper quiet and despite being so heavy, it handled just as well as the 760i, balanced and smooth.

The i7 straddles the traditional ICE world and the EV worlds so well. It has plenty of range, can be charged quickly and yet it also has a very traditional BMW luxury feel. It feels like a great stepping stone into the EV world.

The highlight of both cars is the interior, it's beautiful, comfortable, well lit, luxurious, large and just every positive word you can think of. It's so well finished. We saw another one on the floor with the Alcantara headliner and oh my goodness, it's so luxurious and I have to have it on my next car. The testers didn't have Interior Composition but the floor model did and the difference in luxury of the interiors is noticeable, even if the base is plenty luxurious. My only complaint was that the wood trim was put in positions where it wasn't very noticeable, although all of the ones we saw had the cool Mirror Oak High Gloss which kind of blended in with the interior, the other wood trim selections have better contrast. This car is all about the interior and then how fun the i7 is to drive.

In the end, I knew immediately I wanted an i7. We are now working with the local dealers to find out who can get me an allocation the quickest and help me dispose of my still amazing 745e with the best trade-in offer, even if I give the car up now while we wait for the build (we have an extra car). I'm hoping to have the order submitted with the deposit by the end of next week. Here is the build we will be doing.. While the B&W is nice, listening to Coffee House & the Broadway stations on SiriusXM will not justify the expense. The screen is really cool but we won't use it and it's impractical, a bit of a hassle. I think it makes a great show though and once you got used to it could be awesome if you have kids or want to split driving with your spouse on road trips. Rear Lounge is coupled with the screen, so we only got Rear Luxury which still has adjustable seats with massage. The Interior Composition interior was just something I couldn't pass away from. It's really beautiful inside. The build summary is:

Aventurin Red w/21" 909 wheels
Interior Composition Package w/full Tartufo leather, blue Alcantara headliner & silver gray ash open pore wood.
DAP/Parking Assistance
Rear Luxury Package
Front Massaging Seats
Blue Exterior Accents

Hit me up if you have any questions!
Appreciate 5
E66er117.50
meko178.50
Mr.blue223.00
      12-26-2022, 11:53 PM   #2
Mr.blue
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i Xdrive, 2021 X5M co

Garage List
Were the automatic doors also included or did you not find them worth opting for? Just curious of how most people feel about the option.
Very nice build.
      12-27-2022, 10:27 AM   #3
zmm12345
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x7 and 330i

I personally like it, but It comes with a learning curve. Therefore, if you give rides all the time to people that don’t know the car, it will be confusing for them…..

Closing and opening from inside the car is smooth, closing from the outside is kind of ackward, as it’s not so easy to push the door handle button from that angle
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 11:06 AM   #4
todao
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 760i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmm12345 View Post
I personally like it, but It comes with a learning curve. Therefore, if you give rides all the time to people that don’t know the car, it will be confusing for them…..

Closing and opening from inside the car is smooth, closing from the outside is kind of awkward, as it’s not so easy to push the door handle button from that angle
When I exit, I stand up and as I'm doing that, press the button on the interaction bar to close the door, then walk out of the way, rather than reach around the door and press the button on the handle to close the door.

Once you get the timing down, it's pretty smooth.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 01:53 PM   #5
2021BMW745e
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.blue View Post
Were the automatic doors also included or did you not find them worth opting for? Just curious of how most people feel about the option.
Very nice build.
Thanks! The Automatic Doors are not included in my build. Once you figure them out, which we did in the first demo, they are actually really nice. However, to get them you must add Executive 2 package and that forces Bowers & Wilkins, so it's a net add of $7500 that doesn't really increase the value of the car at all, so I did not get that combo package. If I could get the automatic doors separately, I would do it.
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue223.00
      12-27-2022, 02:58 PM   #6
Mr.blue
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2021BMW745e View Post
Thanks! The Automatic Doors are not included in my build. Once you figure them out, which we did in the first demo, they are actually really nice. However, to get them you must add Executive 2 package and that forces Bowers & Wilkins, so it's a net add of $7500 that doesn't really increase the value of the car at all, so I did not get that combo package. If I could get the automatic doors separately, I would do it.
Thanks for your reply, that makes a lot of sense. I think your options are great choices for the money. I am still on the fence. I drove the car twice and my wife loves it but I have never owned such a large car. I’ve always went for the more sporty ones like the 5 series and X5M suv. I am getting older and more mature and I’d like a more quiet and comfortable ride but can’t make my mind up between the 7 and the 850i Grand Coup. I think the the 7 is a great value for what it includes and the comfort it provides. Enjoy that beautiful i7! It will definitely be a head turner and that blue roof liner is something special.
      12-28-2022, 12:21 PM   #7
todao
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your reply, that makes a lot of sense. I think your options are great choices for the money. I am still on the fence. I drove the car twice and my wife loves it but I have never owned such a large car. I’ve always went for the more sporty ones like the 5 series and X5M suv. I am getting older and more mature and I’d like a more quiet and comfortable ride but can’t make my mind up between the 7 and the 850i Grand Coup. I think the the 7 is a great value for what it includes and the comfort it provides. Enjoy that beautiful i7! It will definitely be a head turner and that blue roof liner is something special.
I just turned in my 2019 M850i after a three year lease and got the 2023 760i so I can give you real world comparison. I had the coupe, not the grand coupe.

The 850 is more a sports car than a luxury car, it is both but in driving it skews towards sport. There is NO comparison in terms of in car sound between the 760 and the 850. The 850, you hear and feel every bump, you year uneven pavement noise so you feel in touch with the road. However, I grew tired of the noise, esp because I do a lot of calls in the car.

There is almost nothing that you hear in the 760. It is whisper quiet.

While the 760 has more HP, and more weight, the 850 conveys the engine noise, in sport mode, much greater than the 760 in sport mode.

The bucket-like seats in the 850 will make you feel like driving sportier juat about all the time, and therefore a more frenetic driving experience. The 760 seats will encourage you to get comfy, take your time and enjoy the ride and then get sporty when you want.

For me, as I'm older too, I was happy to let the 850 go and feel a regular sense of greater comfort everyday when I drive the 760. After the 850, it's a revelation in terms of a luxury driving experience.

You can't go wrong with either, it's more a matter of what are your preferences.
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue223.00
      12-28-2022, 12:34 PM   #8
Mr.blue
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by todao View Post
I just turned in my 2019 M850i after a three year lease and got the 2023 760i so I can give you real world comparison. I had the coupe, not the grand coupe.

The 850 is more a sports car than a luxury car, it is both but in driving it skews towards sport. There is NO comparison in terms of in car sound between the 760 and the 850. The 850, you hear and feel every bump, you year uneven pavement noise so you feel in touch with the road. However, I grew tired of the noise, esp because I do a lot of calls in the car.

There is almost nothing that you hear in the 760. It is whisper quiet.

While the 760 has more HP, and more weight, the 850 conveys the engine noise, in sport mode, much greater than the 760 in sport mode.

The bucket-like seats in the 850 will make you feel like driving sportier juat about all the time, and therefore a more frenetic driving experience. The 760 seats will encourage you to get comfy, take your time and enjoy the ride and then get sporty when you want.

For me, as I'm older too, I was happy to let the 850 go and feel a regular sense of greater comfort everyday when I drive the 760. After the 850, it's a revelation in terms of a luxury driving experience.

You can't go wrong with either, it's more a matter of what are your preferences.
Thanks this is good information and does help some. Not a dealbreaker but even though you had the shorter coup versus the grand coup, does the 760 fit in an average garage? 212 inches seem to be pretty long and I usually keep my X5M in the garage each night so my kids can park in the drive way whenever they visit or whoever else visits. Thanks for the comparison information again!
      12-28-2022, 11:10 PM   #9
2021BMW745e
Rep

Quote:
My spouse has an 840i Grand Coupe and I have the 745e. They are night and day different. The 7 Series is truly the epitome of luxury & comfort. It all just feels right. I can't say it floats along, because the suspension is more competent than that, but it's a beautifully smooth ride. The 840i is truly like a sports sedan I think. Of course it's not as fast as your 850i, but boy is it great to throw it in a curve and accelerate. Just a fab car.

If I could afford to have 2 cars, I'd have a 7 Series & 8 Gran Coupe. If I could afford to have 1 car, it would be the 7 Series. If you are sore from working out, it's so much more comfortable. If you want to haul friends in the backseat, it's infinitely more comfortable in the 7. I prefer luxury, hence the 7, but the 8 is truly fun to drive.

Ultimately, my biggest complaint about the 8 Series is the interior finishings. For the price of these cars, it should have more wood than a 3 Series and it doesn't. It should offer massaging seats, and it doesn't. And there should be more backseat legroom. Still, a great car.

You get used to driving the big car really fast, and I've never had one before.
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue223.00
      12-28-2022, 11:35 PM   #10
Mr.blue
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2021BMW745e View Post
My spouse has an 840i Grand Coupe and I have the 745e. They are night and day different. The 7 Series is truly the epitome of luxury & comfort. It all just feels right. I can't say it floats along, because the suspension is more competent than that, but it's a beautifully smooth ride. The 840i is truly like a sports sedan I think. Of course it's not as fast as your 850i, but boy is it great to throw it in a curve and accelerate. Just a fab car.

If I could afford to have 2 cars, I'd have a 7 Series & 8 Gran Coupe. If I could afford to have 1 car, it would be the 7 Series. If you are sore from working out, it's so much more comfortable. If you want to haul friends in the backseat, it's infinitely more comfortable in the 7. I prefer luxury, hence the 7, but the 8 is truly fun to drive.

Ultimately, my biggest complaint about the 8 Series is the interior finishings. For the price of these cars, it should have more wood than a 3 Series and it doesn't. It should offer massaging seats, and it doesn't. And there should be more backseat legroom. Still, a great car.

You get used to driving the big car really fast, and I've never had one before.
I have the exact same complaints about the 8, but it is still a great car. Thanks for the feedback.
      12-29-2022, 12:23 PM   #11
todao
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks this is good information and does help some. Not a dealbreaker but even though you had the shorter coup versus the grand coup, does the 760 fit in an average garage? 212 inches seem to be pretty long and I usually keep my X5M in the garage each night so my kids can park in the drive way whenever they visit or whoever else visits. Thanks for the comparison information again!
The 850 fit easily in the garage. With the 760, I have 20 inches of clearance so I have to be more careful but it fits fine. I installed these garage wall protectors to protect the front end and with the front camera, I'm able to get it within a couple inches of the front wall each time giving me more clearance at the rear of the car for the garage door closing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PVH5712...t_details&th=1
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue223.00
      12-29-2022, 12:43 PM   #12
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
212 inches is long but mine fits in my garage (house built cicra 1950) in the same place my G12 resided, with the same wheel stop location on the floor. I have just a bit less room in front and rear, but no major difficulty getting in or out of the garage, which is 2 car 1 door. In my other house which is 2 car but 2 separate doors, it also fits in the G12 slot, but the width means extra care coming in and out (its the mirrors that make it harder).
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue223.00