BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

02-13-2023, 04:52 PM   #1
Mr.blue
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i Xdrive, 2021 X5M co

Garage List
Emergency call system malfunction

Hello All,
So I have the 7 series 760i. I just went over the required break in mileage today. Shortly after that I get the warning message Emergency Call System Malfunction. I continued driving hoping it would go away. I stopped at the park and shut the car off. After about 3 minutes I restarted the car initially the fault was gone and then before I put the car in reverse the fault came back. I drove home and let the car sit for about 20 mins and went back out to try again. The fault came back again. The car drives fine and everything seems to be working except, I noticed that the speed limit sign wasn’t being read in the display. I also noticed that when I opened my app, it is showing the car being still on the interstate where the fault first occurred and the information such as fuel level and status not being updated. My guess is that it is a communication thing or maybe even something to do with the camera system. Has anyone else had this issue? Any assistance is appreciated. I’m hoping that I don’t have to take it in at only 325 miles or so.
      02-13-2023, 09:20 PM   #2
patrikr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i, 2020 Model X LR

Have you tried rebooting iDrive by holding down the volume button?
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue223.00
      02-13-2023, 09:41 PM   #3
Mr.blue
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrikr View Post
Have you tried rebooting iDrive by holding down the volume button?
To the rescue!! As soon as I started to read your post I remembered that I had to hold down the volume button to reset Idrive. I couldn’t remember this for the life of me. Thanks for your help. The sad part is when I went out to try and reset things, there was another fault that said automatic doors unavailable as the door opened and then everything cleared on its own. I still did the reboot anyway. All is good 🙌😁 I can’t believe the two service technicians I talked to on the phone didn’t give this advice. Thanks again, you might have saved me from having to take the car in to be serviced if the faults don’t come back.
      02-13-2023, 11:06 PM   #4
patrikr
Lieutenant
Rep

Glad it worked!! It’s a little strange that even though iDrive8 has been out for a while there are silly software bugs like this.
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue223.00
      02-18-2023, 08:59 AM   #5
Joe cat
Rep
Drives: Genesis gv70

I had my car for five days and I had the SOS call system malfunction come up I had to bring it to the dealer and they’re telling me that the part will not be in for 35 days!

In the meantime, anything satellite related is not working. Also, the car is behaving, quirky, and I cannot use the cruise control as it tries to randomly stop the car. What a shame.
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue223.00
      02-18-2023, 03:54 PM   #6
Mr.blue
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe cat View Post
I had my car for five days and I had the SOS call system malfunction come up I had to bring it to the dealer and they’re telling me that the part will not be in for 35 days!

In the meantime, anything satellite related is not working. Also, the car is behaving, quirky, and I cannot use the cruise control as it tries to randomly stop the car. What a shame.
Oh wow, so the Idrive reset didn’t work. I wonder what part could go wrong with new car after just 5 days. It seems quality control is slipping here. I understand that it a whole new edition of the 7 series but it’s been in production since what, October or November 2022? Hope you’re back up and running soon. That’s a shame, it looks like I dodged a bullet on this one. My fault actually cleared itself before the reset but the reset cleared the quirks up.
      02-18-2023, 07:15 PM   #7
patrikr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.blue View Post
Oh wow, so the Idrive reset didn’t work. I wonder what part could go wrong with new car after just 5 days. It seems quality control is slipping here. I understand that it a whole new edition of the 7 series but it’s been in production since what, October or November 2022? Hope you’re back up and running soon. That’s a shame, it looks like I dodged a bullet on this one. My fault actually cleared itself before the reset but the reset cleared the quirks up.
My understanding is that manufacturing and first customer deliveries in Europe was in July 2022. If true you’d think most of these annoying issues would’ve been resolved by now but clearly not. The X7 LCI had (has?) very similar quirky and surprising bugs. I totally agree that on a $120k+ flagship car it’s unacceptable.
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue223.00
      02-19-2023, 07:27 AM   #8
Joe cat
Rep
Drives: Genesis gv70

They say it was the satellite receiver - and it affects so much of the car - you wouldn’t believe - so Joe if I say - hey Bmw I’m cold / it warms up the passenger side only

If I have it programmed to close roof blind
It says ok - but doesn’t.

No cruise control - as all is connected to satellite-
A real shame ! But when you have to carry 10 pounds regardless- you can either whistle- or complain.
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue223.00
      02-19-2023, 09:33 AM   #9
Mr.blue
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe cat View Post
They say it was the satellite receiver - and it affects so much of the car - you wouldn’t believe - so Joe if I say - hey Bmw I’m cold / it warms up the passenger side only

If I have it programmed to close roof blind
It says ok - but doesn’t.

No cruise control - as all is connected to satellite-
A real shame ! But when you have to carry 10 pounds regardless- you can either whistle- or complain.
Does the fault still show in the instrument panel? I’m just wondering if I should have mine checked just in case. I haven’t noticed anything wrong but I do remember the roof blind not working by way of the rear touchscreens once. I just opened it manually by the switch on the roof and didn’t think about it anymore. I believe it’s worked since then, I’ll have to check. Its so odd that these issues arrive just after breaking in the engine. I won’t say what I want about my decision to buy the 7 instead of buying a different model yet. I’ll give it a chance first 😬🥺
      02-19-2023, 02:27 PM   #10
Lucab
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrikr View Post
My understanding is that manufacturing and first customer deliveries in Europe was in July 2022. If true you’d think most of these annoying issues would’ve been resolved by now but clearly not. The X7 LCI had (has?) very similar quirky and surprising bugs. I totally agree that on a $120k+ flagship car it’s unacceptable.
First delivery in Europe in July 22? Not at all! I7 started end November and mostly to dealers. Some I7 are now for sale and available. Nowadays first combustion engine models are available. In US 7 series was earlier...
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue223.00
      02-19-2023, 03:05 PM   #11
patrikr
Lieutenant
Rep

I saw this and assumed customer deliveries started shortly after but I could be wrong.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...ng?language=en
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue223.00
      08-09-2023, 07:23 PM   #12
somal007
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW i7

I am having this same issue now! I reset the idrive and the message went away, but i cant check for any software updates or updates apps/services and also cant locate the car (i guess gps not working). I havent checked if internet is working yet on the theatre screen. How did you manage to fix this?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 08:45 PM   #13
Mr.blue
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by somal007 View Post
I am having this same issue now! I reset the idrive and the message went away, but i cant check for any software updates or updates apps/services and also cant locate the car (i guess gps not working). I havent checked if internet is working yet on the theatre screen. How did you manage to fix this?
After you have tried to reset Idrive wait a while and let the car sit, then go back and restart the car. Maybe wait 30 mins or hour. This worked for me. If not, you might have to take it in for service .
      08-09-2023, 09:34 PM   #14
pegogetem
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

Garage List
2023 BMW 740i  [5.00]
I was upgraded to 8.5 07/2023 by the dealer on my 23 740i and it fixed a few errors and malfunctions I was having.
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue223.00
      08-11-2023, 08:12 AM   #15
It's Good
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i

Had this issue pop up with the accompanying warning gong that could not be disabled.Luckily,it temporarily resolved before I drove the 50 miles to my dealership.SA told me it was a "problem with the SIM card."
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue223.00
      08-17-2023, 03:15 AM   #16
Punisher_69
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50/2023/White

Got this "emergency call system malfunction", checked the system by pressing the SOS button - everything is fine, operator hears me and I hear him
and the warning sigh goes up and disappears: I suspect this is a fluke
Connected Drive and other functions work fine
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 09:12 AM   #17
seans
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i7

This issue happened to me on a brand new 530e two years ago.
The service department said they replaced the battery on that part (which is evidently tied to the hardware present in the antenna in the roof of the vehicle).

After the battery was replaced even on the new car, the issue never came back.

What you’re experiencing may in fact be a hardware issue.

When researching potential causes a few years ago, some users also indicated liquid damage from water infiltrating the antenna caused similar issues for them.
Appreciate 1
Mr.blue223.00