GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

02-13-2023, 08:38 PM   #1
aswy6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

weird turbo whistle after spark plug change

So i just finished doing spark plugs on my F80 and at the same time i cleaned and re oiled both of my BMC filters. Just went for a drive and put it in sport plus to see if something falls off and when at low rpm pressing the gas 20-30% it almost sounds like a 2JZ Supra. A very distinct turbo spool and then pshh at the end when you let go. Car seems to pull fine and no codes. Am i overthinking it or did i miss something? Turbo spool seems to be like 30% louder, all charge pipes and everything seems to be tight
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 08:42 PM   #2
aswy6
Captain
Rep

One quick note, my charge pipes are VTT silicone pipes and when i was pulling one of them out, i put a little nick into one of them. I remember i was wondering if that will cause an air leak but then looked like the pipe is thick enough for that little nick not to be deep enough to actually go through. If one of charge pipes is leaking a little bit, that would throw a code right?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 08:45 PM   #3
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Or not enough oil on the BMC filter? Lol i dont know. I asked my wife to give it a little bit of a gas and could not hear any distinct air leak with hood open
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 09:14 PM   #4
JAI///M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2018 F80  [0.00]
Idk call me crazy but when I clean and re oil my drop ins, I too notice slightly louder turbo inuction sounds. Especially true with the front windows down. If everything is reassembled correctly and the engine is running well with no codes I’d say you’re fine.

How long was it since the last filter cleaning?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 09:48 PM   #5
aswy6
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAI///M3 View Post
Idk call me crazy but when I clean and re oil my drop ins, I too notice slightly louder turbo inuction sounds. Especially true with the front windows down. If everything is reassembled correctly and the engine is running well with no codes I’d say you’re fine.

How long was it since the last filter cleaning?
It was about 2-2.5 years and 10-15k miles. I also just did some hard pulls in Mexico and seems to be working fine. I dont know if im overthinking it or if it feels slower than before. Maybe i have not put it in sport plus mode for too long i dont know. I guess the only issue i can think of is that i scratched one of my silicone charge pipes when taking it out. But the nick is literally like 1mm long and i could not tell how deep it is but im sure its not that easy to put a hole in them. Even if there is minimal leak in charge pipe, will it throw a code? I have a track day coming up in 2 weeks which is why i was doing all this maintenance in the first place lol
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 01:23 PM   #6
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswy6 View Post
It was about 2-2.5 years and 10-15k miles. I also just did some hard pulls in Mexico and seems to be working fine. I dont know if im overthinking it or if it feels slower than before. Maybe i have not put it in sport plus mode for too long i dont know. I guess the only issue i can think of is that i scratched one of my silicone charge pipes when taking it out. But the nick is literally like 1mm long and i could not tell how deep it is but im sure its not that easy to put a hole in them. Even if there is minimal leak in charge pipe, will it throw a code? I have a track day coming up in 2 weeks which is why i was doing all this maintenance in the first place lol
I had my pipes pop off after the dealership replaced my spark plugs. I drove it for about a day and I heard a whistle noise but no CEL or any issues.

The next day, the hoses popped off while driving normally and then it threw a CEL. I was on the side of the road at night and I purchased BimmerLink while on the side of the road. Read the code and it said something about intake pressure in manifold or something. From my deductive reasoning of knowing they probably took the pipes off to replace my plugs and the increased whistle noise, I related the code to the charge air pipes. I pop the hood and I see one of them come out. I half-assed shoved it in and continued my night. Drove it to the dealership the next day and the properly fitted it back in.

In short, if it was an issue you'll throw a CEL.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 01:30 PM   #7
aswy6
Captain
Rep

[QUOTE=N1rve;29842527]I had my pipes pop off after the dealership replaced my spark plugs. I drove it for about a day and I heard a whistle noise but no CEL or any issues.

The next day, the hoses popped off while driving normally and then it threw a CEL. I was on the side of the road at night and I purchased BimmerLink while on the side of the road. Read the code and it said something about intake pressure in manifold or something. From my deductive reasoning of knowing they probably took the pipes off to replace my plugs and the increased whistle noise, I related the code to the charge air pipes. I pop the hood and I see one of them come out. I half-assed shoved it in and continued my night. Drove it to the dealership the next day and the properly fitted it back in.

In short, if it was an issue you'll throw a CEL.

Well seems like it will throw a cel if the thing is completely off, in my case at worst i have 1mm hole in one of them which i highly doubt anyway. I guess lets see if it survives a track day in 2 weeks lol
Appreciate 0