ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-27-2023, 10:59 PM   #1
Socal.M2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp/ E92 M3 Comp 6MT

SEEKING ADVICE! CODE 131401 VANOS, outlet, cold start: not regulated

So about 2 weeks ago i took my car in to get the my Crankhub upgraded. everything went well i took the car home and have been driving it for 2 weeks now. Car is just BM3 stage 1 tuned.

get in the car yesterday and i get a check engine light for 131401, something to do with VANOS... looked online and could possibly be one of the solenoids.

I have a 3rd party warranty on the car i figured i would bring the car in for them to check. BMW blamed the tune and said have a good day. I thought being a 3rd party warranty they wouldn't care about being tuned bc they want to get paid regardless.

I have the choice of either re locking the DME and going back to stock or taking it back to the shop that upgraded the hub. (the timing on all of this means they could have messed up putting everything back together)

big decision factor is... if i re lock the DME/load the stock tune will BMW Give me any hassle? obviously i would have to take it to a different dealer. my deductable is $200 on the warranty plus another $375 to re unlock the DME. regardless im in for a $600 bill at least.

i Am located in Sand Diego, CA.... any mod friendly dealers near by??

any insight as to what you would do in my position?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 09:14 AM   #2
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

oh lord, all this hassle for something that will likely never happen. hope you get it figured out
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 09:38 AM   #3
Redacre
6 Cylinders 3 Ways
Rep
Drives: M5, 911, Macan

Garage List
If you took it to a BMW dealership with the tune they might have already black flagged it. Even if you relock they can still tell it was tuned at some point. You can try another dealer but personally I would go back to the shop that did the crankhub because they'll probably be doing the rest of your service from here.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2023, 01:05 PM   #4
Socal.M2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp/ E92 M3 Comp 6MT

The shop ended up fixing it, defintely not wasting my time going to a bmw service department for anything like that soon..... didn't cost me anything. They said it was a cam sensor reading incorrect. Possible damage when upgrading the crank hub maybe? anyway they fixed it for free. I'm assuming because they could have possibly caused the issue.
Appreciate 0