BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

03-18-2023, 01:47 PM   #1
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
A sad (or not so sad) tale

I haven't been on here for a while. In late February, in Florida in my 2+ month old 760 with 1500 mi, with wife, son and grandson, on a stretch of road with left turn lanes, I tried to get out of one and hit the curb, Two tires were blown and the front wheel was cracked. I was able to steer off the road to a safe place. Airbags did not deploy; nobody was the least bit injured. We took an Uber to dinner. BMW roadside assistance finally got the car towed to the nearest dealer. I thought with new wheels and tires I'd be back on the road soon. Not to be. After a couple of days the delaer called to say there was enough damage to send it to a body shop. I then put in a claim with my insurer (Chubb), selected a shop that was certified by Chubb (and also recommended by the dealer) and the process of doing an estimate began. This took some time because the car's parts are not yet in the database they use. (Meantime we had to fly home (NY) and ship a lot of stuff back). Thursday Chubb called me to say the car had been totaled. The left front strut tower was cracked and there was some bumper damage. The bumper damage was not an issue but to fix the strut tower (aluminum?) required essentially dismantling the entire engine compartment and then putting it back together. The estimate was about $80,000. Chubb will part out the car, which is otherwise pretty much intact, pay off my loan, and pay me the difference between the loan and the "agreed" value in the policy, which will leave me with a substantial sum. They're not doing me a favor -- it is in their financial interest not to pay for the repair. I've put in an order for a new 760. It is all a little strange, and I'll have to wait a few months (May production, June delivery)(could not locate anything that was what I wanted) but I am philosophical about it. Nobody was hurt. I get a new car, this time with B&W sound and (least of all worries) I am not going to be out of pocket (at least until they raise my rates). I gather from what I've been reading that I'll get a '24 too. Oh, and did I mention that nobody was hurt? I'll drive my X3 for a couple of months and consider myself lucky.
Appreciate 2
1230vani652.50
M3 boi3211.00
      03-18-2023, 02:26 PM   #2
sward
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: i7 xDrive60

Garage List
2023 BMW i7  [0.00]
Wow. Totaled for hitting the curb.

I’m glad you all are ok. That’s what’s important.
i7 xDrive60 -23 Sold: iX -22, X5MC -20 (F95), X5M50d -19 (G05), X5M50d -17 (F15), X5M50d -14 (F15), 116d -13 (F20), X5 3.0D -10 (E70), M3 -10 (E93), 320DX -10 (E91), 320D -08 (E91), X3 30D -07 (E83), 335 -07 (E92), 325 -05 (E90), 320 -02 (E46), 318 -00 (E46), 320 -93 (E36), 318 -89 (E30)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 04:12 PM   #3
patrikr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i, 2020 Model X LR

Crazy estimate for hitting a curb. Agree with sward, glad everyone is ok as that’s the only thing that matters. And congrats I guess on getting a car that hopefully even better than the one that’s being written off.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 08:11 PM   #4
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

great to hear everyone is safe! crazy they totaled it but IMHO getting a car totaled without personal injury is not a bad outcome. I had a 3-4 months old Audi A7 that got totaled for a relatively rear end accident (as I didn't feel much impact inside the car) that led me to be back in the market and ending up with my 760
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 10:30 PM   #5
KK22
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi A8 L 60 TFSI Quattro

Very sorry to hear about that AlteBMW, but I'm glad to hear everyone is OK. I had a similar situation when my G12 was totaled last October, when a driver ran a stop sign to T-bone me.
If it kept your family and you safe, then it served its primary purpose as far as I'm concerned. Good luck in finding a stop gap till your G70 arrives. There are big discounts on S8s at the moment BTW.
      03-19-2023, 03:47 AM   #6
Lovin7er
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i xDrive

WOW. First of all, I am glad that everyone is safe. Thank heavens.

Did you order the exact same car with the same colors? How were the availability of the options you originally had?

Again, glad everyone is safe.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 09:53 AM   #7
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin7er View Post
WOW. First of all, I am glad that everyone is safe. Thank heavens.

Did you order the exact same car with the same colors? How were the availability of the options you originally had?

Again, glad everyone is safe.
Thank you and yes glad everyone is fine. It was not very hard impact -- everyone just got out of the car and looked at the flat tires and shrugged.
My dealer (really my sales guy) has been very proactive and yesterday found me a car that he thinks we can get from another dealer somewhere in the Northeast and my dealer will absorb the shipping. Theyve really been great -- this will be my 7th car from them and we have an excellent relationship.
I really loved the Carbon Black/Tartufo combo and this car has it. The differences from my previous car are: M-style which is fine with me (though my wife loved the lighted grille), Bowers & Wilkins sound (a plus), and the rear seat package (which I don't need but would take to get a car sooner). It may still be that I have to order -- we will know Monday but I really hope this car comes through.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 10:07 AM   #8
mattsrs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
Thank you and yes glad everyone is fine. It was not very hard impact -- everyone just got out of the car and looked at the flat tires and shrugged.
My dealer (really my sales guy) has been very proactive and yesterday found me a car that he thinks we can get from another dealer somewhere in the Northeast and my dealer will absorb the shipping. Theyve really been great -- this will be my 7th car from them and we have an excellent relationship.
I really loved the Carbon Black/Tartufo combo and this car has it. The differences from my previous car are: M-style which is fine with me (though my wife loved the lighted grille), Bowers & Wilkins sound (a plus), and the rear seat package (which I don't need but would take to get a car sooner). It may still be that I have to order -- we will know Monday but I really hope this car comes through.
I wonder if it is this one: https://www.bmwusa.com/inventory/detail/WBA33EJ08PCM45768

I was in similar situation that my previous car got totaled and needed a car and couldn’t wait for an order to arrive. My local dealer had hard time trading one for me ( I also wanted carbon black/tartufo). I ended up working directly with the dealer that has it. From my experience, you can get a better and faster deal by going directly to a dealer who has the car
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 10:23 AM   #9
Lovin7er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Good Luck! Keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 12:43 PM   #10
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsrs View Post
I wonder if it is this one: https://www.bmwusa.com/inventory/det...33EJ08PCM45768

I was in similar situation that my previous car got totaled and needed a car and couldn’t wait for an order to arrive. My local dealer had hard time trading one for me ( I also wanted carbon black/tartufo). I ended up working directly with the dealer that has it. From my experience, you can get a better and faster deal by going directly to a dealer who has the car
Thank you! That car is exactly like the one my dealer found. All he knew last night ws that it was in the "Northeast" but I'll bet that's it. Morristown is less than 2 hours from my dealer on Long Island.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2023, 10:12 PM   #11
Beemer2018
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 760i

Quote:
I haven't been on here for a while. In late February, in Florida in my 2+ month old 760 with 1500 mi, with wife, son and grandson, on a stretch of road with left turn lanes, I tried to get out of one and hit the curb, Two tires were blown and the front wheel was cracked. I was able to steer off the road to a safe place. Airbags did not deploy; nobody was the least bit injured. We took an Uber to dinner. BMW roadside assistance finally got the car towed to the nearest dealer. I thought with new wheels and tires I'd be back on the road soon. Not to be. After a couple of days the delaer called to say there was enough damage to send it to a body shop. I then put in a claim with my insurer (Chubb), selected a shop that was certified by Chubb (and also recommended by the dealer) and the process of doing an estimate began. This took some time because the car's parts are not yet in the database they use. (Meantime we had to fly home (NY) and ship a lot of stuff back). Thursday Chubb called me to say the car had been totaled. The left front strut tower was cracked and there was some bumper damage. The bumper damage was not an issue but to fix the strut tower (aluminum?) required essentially dismantling the entire engine compartment and then putting it back together. The estimate was about $80,000. Chubb will part out the car, which is otherwise pretty much intact, pay off my loan, and pay me the difference between the loan and the "agreed" value in the policy, which will leave me with a substantial sum. They're not doing me a favor -- it is in their financial interest not to pay for the repair. I've put in an order for a new 760. It is all a little strange, and I'll have to wait a few months (May production, June delivery)(could not locate anything that was what I wanted) but I am philosophical about it. Nobody was hurt. I get a new car, this time with B&W sound and (least of all worries) I am not going to be out of pocket (at least until they raise my rates). I gather from what I've been reading that I'll get a '24 too. Oh, and did I mention that nobody was hurt? I'll drive my X3 for a couple of months and consider myself lucky.
Glad to hear that the accident did not cause any bodily harm to the occupants. Did the insurance company pay enough for the totalled car, or did you end up losing money considering it is a brand new car?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 09:18 AM   #12
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer2018 View Post
Glad to hear that the accident did not cause any bodily harm to the occupants. Did the insurance company pay enough for the totalled car, or did you end up losing money considering it is a brand new car?
I have a policy with "agreed value" which is another way of saying replacement cost. The agreed value was the price I paid plus sales tax. I come out just fine from a $$ standpoint. I must say Chubb has been a pleasure to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 09:24 AM   #13
mattsrs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I have a policy with "agreed value" which is another way of saying replacement cost. The agreed value was the price I paid plus sales tax. I come out just fine from a $$ standpoint. I must say Chubb has been a pleasure to deal with.
Just wanted to share my car getting totaled experience on a relatively new car. It was a 2022 fully loaded Audi A7 and got totaled after 6 months of ownership with 4k miles on it. My insurance (State Farm) first offered $6k below msrp ($86k) plus sales tax but I called then and sent the car’s window sticker and they raised the reimbursement to msrp + sales tax.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 10:32 AM   #14
KK22
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi A8 L 60 TFSI Quattro

I hired an automotive appraisal consultant who upped the initial offer by 15% from Farmer's insurance. I ended up with more than what paid for the G12 740ix 18 months prior, mostly due to used car prices being elevated.

It was pointless getting into negotiations with insurance company since there are professionals who do this sort of thing for a living for auctions, classic cars etc. for a very reasonable fee.
      03-20-2023, 02:01 PM   #15
Mr.blue
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i Xdrive, 2021 X5M co

Garage List
Glad that there were no injuries, it’s shocking that such a minor impact would total or do so much damage to such a sturdy vehicle. Now I know why my insurance rates increased when I added my 760 to the policy compared to my recent vehicle.
      03-21-2023, 06:32 PM   #16
mattsrs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thank you! That car is exactly like the one my dealer found. All he knew last night ws that it was in the "Northeast" but I'll bet that's it. Morristown is less than 2 hours from my dealer on Long Island.
How's the car hunting going? What kind of discount they are offering on the east coast?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 08:32 AM   #17
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
How's the car hunting going? What kind of discount they are offering on the east coast?
Thank you for asking. The car hunt is frustrating, as dealers don't always respond to other dealers. There are two in play for me now but I am not sure either will come through. I need a car but also want exactly what I want in the the way of colors. As for discounts, there are few cars and so far the discounts are zero -- and one dealer wants $800 for document processing which is a pure profit ploy. I may have to order and my dealer has a May slot for June delivery. There are 2 of us and we have (had) 3 cars so I would just drive the X3 for a couple of months. Not ideal but I may not have a choice.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 08:53 PM   #18
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I failed to find something suitable on a lot. My dealer worked with BMW to obtain an early production date for a new one and we were able to get week 18 which is the first week in May for completion (this is about my 15th or 16th BMW; that seemed to carry some weight). With some luck I could have it very late May or early June.The order is already at status 112, so who knows, maybe it will be even faster. Fingers crossed.
Meanwhile I will jealously read about every else's cars.
Build:
Carbon Black
Tartufo
Drivers Assistance pkg
Parking assistance pkg
Front massaging seats
Bowers & Wilkins Diamond

Last edited by AlteBMW; 03-23-2023 at 09:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 10:10 PM   #19
mattsrs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I failed to find something suitable on a lot. My dealer worked with BMW to obtain an early production date for a new one and we were able to get week 18 which is the first week in May for completion (this is about my 15th or 16th BMW; that seemed to carry some weight). With some luck I could have it very late May or early June.The order is already at status 112, so who knows, maybe it will be even faster. Fingers crossed.
Meanwhile I will jealously read about every else's cars.
Build:
Carbon Black
Tartufo
Drivers Assistance pkg
Parking assistance pkg
Front massaging seats
Bowers & Wilkins Diamond
Fingers crossed! My 760 is very similar minus BW diamond but has exec. you have great taste 😃
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 09:19 AM   #20
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Fingers crossed! My 760 is very similar minus BW diamond but has exec. you have great taste ��
I didn't see exec package on "build youf own". Is it back now? Please remind me what's in it as I can still change my build
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 11:08 AM   #21
mattsrs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I didn't see exec package on "build youf own". Is it back now? Please remind me what's in it as I can still change my build
No, exec pack is not available anymore. It is better to avoid those crystal headlights given the condensation problem! so not getting exec is a good thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 08:56 AM   #22
Lovin7er
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Automatic doors, crystal headlights and front massaging seats.
Appreciate 0