BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

03-21-2023, 03:01 PM   #1
jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 i7 and '23 M8 Competition

automatic door button inside

New i7 - button inside to auto open front passenger door won’t work any more. It won’t even illuminate. (This is the button built in to the diamondy light bar across front of car, closest to front passenger side).

My bmw assistant verbal commands still work to open and close the door. Door also opens when using the outside button. Just not the inside button.

Anyone have this issue?

I tried ‘resetting’ the car by holding down the music volume button for 30 seconds, system reset, but that didn’t seem to fix the button not working.

2021 M8 Competition - Frozen Grey
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 04:27 PM   #2
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwestfield View Post
New i7 - button inside to auto open front passenger door won’t work any more. It won’t even illuminate. (This is the button built in to the diamondy light bar across front of car, closest to front passenger side).

My bmw assistant verbal commands still work to open and close the door. Door also opens when using the outside button. Just not the inside button.

Anyone have this issue?

I tried ‘resetting’ the car by holding down the music volume button for 30 seconds, system reset, but that didn’t seem to fix the button not working.
A full reset requires holding the volume button for a full minute and I think there are two cycles. But that would reset the screen, not necessary the door buttons. But it can't hurt to try.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2023, 04:56 PM   #3
patrikr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i, 2020 Model X LR

Yep, have the exact same issue + the vent control slider is dead too on that side. I took mine to the dealer and they ordered the part. No clue when it’s coming in though.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2023, 06:21 PM   #4
mattsrs
Captain
Rep
Drives: X7

oh boy. Those buttons are so finicky to begin with and every time I press them, they don't inspire any confidence that they will last
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 05:01 AM   #5
jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrikr View Post
Yep, have the exact same issue + the vent control slider is dead too on that side. I took mine to the dealer and they ordered the part. No clue when it’s coming in though.
That’s exactly same with me. What part did they order?

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 04:52 PM   #6
Spam Head
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i7 xDrive60 M Sport

Quote:

Anyone have this issue?

I am now having the same problem. Mine happened after driving the car in the rain and briefly a notification came up saying that the sensors were dirty and needed to be cleaned.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2023, 08:36 AM   #7
Lovin7er
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
A full reset requires holding the volume button for a full minute and I think there are two cycles. But that would reset the screen, not necessary the door buttons. But it can't hurt to try.
The full reset is supposed to be exactly 70 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 09:43 AM   #8
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin7er View Post
The full reset is supposed to be exactly 70 seconds.
Having done this a few times, you do not need to time the 70 seconds with a stopwatch -- other than to make sure it is at least 70 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 11:18 AM   #9
rollingtaser
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i7 M70, SL63

Quote:
Having done this a few times, you do not need to time the 70 seconds with a stopwatch -- other than to make sure it is at least 70 seconds.
i haven't ordered my car yet and when i read "a few times" i ask myself if i just should wait for the facelift...

when resetting: do you lose settings or is it a lossless reset?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 11:47 AM   #10
Spam Head
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingtaser View Post
i haven't ordered my car yet and when i read "a few times" i ask myself if i just should wait for the facelift...

I would strongly recommend that you hold back and wait for BMW to get its act together on the issue of quality. I am sure they will pay attention to all these negative feedbacks. I personally know of 4 people who are experiencing poor quality build issues with their i7s.

I must also say that whilst my i7 is great car to drive; in terms of quality and all these annoying defects, BMW has really disappointed me. It seems that they have really taken their eye off the ball and have rushed through with building these i7s without paying attention to quality and reliability.

In relation to your reset query, no, it does not erase your settings. It is just like a Windows restart.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 12:58 PM   #11
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingtaser View Post

My issues requiring reset were setting up the esim. Nothing major.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 09:58 AM   #12
Bmwfanboy1
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW XM

Garage List
2023 BMW  [0.00]
Now I am having the same problem with the inside button for the automatic door. First wind noise and this!!
Never ending problems.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2023, 12:38 PM   #13
Lovin7er
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 760i xDrive

Quote:
Yes, I agree. I think the 70 seconds is needed for it to turn back on the second time. For me, it happens at about 68 seconds on my car every time.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 11:06 PM   #14
Bmtech03
Registered
Rep
Drives: Technician

Quote:

Anyone have this issue?

This can be fixed with full battery reset. Disconnecting the negative battery terminal located under the hood on the passenger side. Software updates will likely address this in the future
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 07:19 AM   #15
Spam Head
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

WARNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmtech03 View Post
This can be fixed with full battery reset. Disconnecting the negative battery terminal located under the hood on the passenger side. Software updates will likely address this in the future

NO NO NO!!!

DO NOT try this on the i7.

On the i7 the 12v battery is connected to the car's High Voltage battery. Therefore, in order to do a full battery reset, you MUST first disengage the High Voltage battery and allow it to drain. If you fail to do this, you are exposing yourself to a really dangerous situation and could also potentially seriously damage your car.

It is therefore certainly not as easy as "disconnecting the negative battery terminal" on the 12v battery.

The whole process, if done properly will take about 45mins to an hour.

It will also most likely simply mask the cause of the issue rather than to fix it permanently.

It would therefore be best to simply book the car in for a full software update as this will ensure that all the software patches are up to date. Most likely such an update will fix the issue. I am going to have this booked to be done on my i7 within next 4/5 weeks and will update you accordingly- unless someone else gets to have theirs updated quicker than me!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 09:34 PM   #16
patrikr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That’s exactly same with me. What part did they order?
Sorry, missed this.. the paperwork didn’t say which part, Judy they a part was ordered
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 11:51 PM   #17
Spam Head
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, missed this.. the paperwork didn’t say which part, Judy they a part was ordered
No parts may be required. They just need to do a full and clean software update for you first. Depending on the number of updates required based on when your car left the factory when it was built, it will take between 40 to 90 mins to do this.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2023, 09:40 PM   #18
patrikr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam Head View Post
No parts may be required. They just need to do a full and clean software update for you first. Depending on the number of updates required based on when your car left the factory when it was built, it will take between 40 to 90 mins to do this.
Really? A reinstall of the existing version or is a specific version required that fixes this particular problem? When mine was at the dealer about a month ago they told me that there wasn’t a newer version than 2022.11 available.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 11:56 AM   #19
GuynamedGuy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 7 series

I went thru the exact same thing. BMW just called me and said they fixed it. No cost out of my pocket.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2023, 11:18 PM   #20
patrikr
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuynamedGuy View Post
I went thru the exact same thing. BMW just called me and said they fixed it. No cost out of my pocket.
How did they fix it? Replaced a part or software upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 09:03 AM   #21
jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How did they fix it? Replaced a part or software upgrade?
Mine is in shop now. They are trying software reset first. If not, they will replace light bar

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2023, 09:23 PM   #22
jwestfield
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mine is in shop now. They are trying software reset first. If not, they will replace light bar
They have to order new light bar. One month

Appreciate 0