European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

03-27-2023, 08:58 PM   #1
longfellow
Rep
Drives: F82

How to takeoff (safely)?

Hi all,

I bought a f82 recently and this is my first high performance sports car so apologies for the noob question.

I bought this car at the beginning of January and due to my lack of knowledge of high powered RWD cars was driving this car with summer tires in cold weather with zero experience (I know, I should have done more research before buying this car wish I was more prepared, but I do absolutely love the car), I lost control a couple of times early in ownership and it has left me a little timid.

Now that it’s starting to warm up, I want to learn how to push this car a little more but safely.

Without doing an actual “launch” where you sort of have to setup, what is the best way in general when doing spirited driving to get max acceleration from a stop? For instance, if it’s warm and dry sometimes I want to gun it at a light but my previous experiences have left me worried that if I do that I’m just going to slide into the car next to me or the opposite lane, median, etc.

Is it just the nature of the beast with these powerful RWD cars that you simply can’t floor it from a stand still without at least some degree of traction loss or should I be able to do this and I’m just scared/doing it wrong? I find that often (and this is in MDM mode and all sport +) when I try to takeoff from a standstill I either give it too much throttle and the back wheels chop or I give too little and it results in the bucking bronco.

I just want to be able to accelerate fast, get a little slippage here and there for fun but at the same time not completely lose the rear and go sideways like I have already (FWIW I realize I was very lucky in those situations to not have caused an accident and while I am still learning the dos and donts I will be mindful going forward, especially in cold/wet conditions).

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 09:04 PM   #2
joooiiiiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Those sports tires work much better when they are really hot. If you're trying to launch it or hard corner it on cold tires then hold on to your horses because that thing is not going to go the way you might want it to. I suggest trying out a few beginner track days to get yourself sorted and used to drive it out of your comfort zone and also learning how to drive better. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 09:18 PM   #3
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Did you get a DCT or manual? The real answer is practice and probably getting out to do some motorsports.

https://peachtreebmwcca.org/autocross
http://www.atlantascca.org/programs.autocross.html

To get you started. A lot of groups have schools early in the season. Sign up for one if they have it.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2023, 09:30 PM   #4
longfellow
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theruleslawyer View Post
Did you get a DCT or manual? The real answer is practice and probably getting out to do some motorsports.

https://peachtreebmwcca.org/autocross
http://www.atlantascca.org/programs.autocross.html

To get you started. A lot of groups have schools early in the season. Sign up for one if they have it.
Should have clarified this- it’s a DCT. My understanding is that for max acceleration you would want to be in sequential mode and in theory, would want to hold 1st gear until 6k before shifting to 2 but that with this car it is actually better to shift to 2 early as this can help move past the chopping and bucking im getting in 1st? Either way, thanks for sending this info! Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 08:44 AM   #5
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by longfellow View Post
Should have clarified this- it’s a DCT. My understanding is that for max acceleration you would want to be in sequential mode and in theory, would want to hold 1st gear until 6k before shifting to 2 but that with this car it is actually better to shift to 2 early as this can help move past the chopping and bucking im getting in 1st? Either way, thanks for sending this info! Much appreciated.
The real answer is engage launch mode.
  1. Transmission to s3
  2. Hold down the traction button until it turns off
  3. Hold down brake
  4. press gas fully
  5. Use up down buttons to adjust launch rpm
  6. Release brake.

Bucking on the DCT is typically from someone being too hesitant on the throttle. Roll on confidently and it goes away. Its a little like someone limp wristing a pistol. Also getting the GTS transmission tune coded helps with low speed smoothness. Kubax86 is the owner on here and has a code- BIMMERPOST_10
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2023, 03:48 PM   #6
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

To get used to the power try these:
*** on a warm, dry, flat, clear, EMPTY road!
Phase 1:
- set engine to Efficient
- set both steering and shocks to Comfort
- normal driving mode, not MDM or DSC-off
- tires warm, fronts 32-35, rears 30-32PSI
- DCT set to D3 mode (D with 3 bars)
Just floor it and concentrate on steering.
If you get any rear “drift” then easily let up on the gas (don’t fully lift off quickly) and allow the car to straighten out.
You shouldn’t get any drift anyway since traction control is fully in effect…
Repeat this until you get comfortable.

Phase 2:
Now you can try with MDM mode on.
Everything else same as before…

Phase 3:
With MDM still on, now try engine in Sport.

Phase 4:
Same as Phase 3 but engine in Sport+.

Phase 5:
Go back to engine in Efficient.
Hold the MDM button 3sec to set DSC Off.
**Stability control is now off! Be cautious!
If you get any wheelspin from here on down then lower rear tires to 28PSI.

Phase 6:
Sport

Phase 7:
Sport+

Phase 8:
Do real launch control mode.
      03-28-2023, 05:05 PM   #7
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by longfellow View Post
Hi all,

I bought a f82 recently and this is my first high performance sports car so apologies for the noob question.

I bought this car at the beginning of January and due to my lack of knowledge of high powered RWD cars was driving this car with summer tires in cold weather with zero experience (I know, I should have done more research before buying this car wish I was more prepared, but I do absolutely love the car), I lost control a couple of times early in ownership and it has left me a little timid.

Now that it’s starting to warm up, I want to learn how to push this car a little more but safely.

Without doing an actual “launch” where you sort of have to setup, what is the best way in general when doing spirited driving to get max acceleration from a stop? For instance, if it’s warm and dry sometimes I want to gun it at a light but my previous experiences have left me worried that if I do that I’m just going to slide into the car next to me or the opposite lane, median, etc.

Is it just the nature of the beast with these powerful RWD cars that you simply can’t floor it from a stand still without at least some degree of traction loss or should I be able to do this and I’m just scared/doing it wrong? I find that often (and this is in MDM mode and all sport +) when I try to takeoff from a standstill I either give it too much throttle and the back wheels chop or I give too little and it results in the bucking bronco.

I just want to be able to accelerate fast, get a little slippage here and there for fun but at the same time not completely lose the rear and go sideways like I have already (FWIW I realize I was very lucky in those situations to not have caused an accident and while I am still learning the dos and donts I will be mindful going forward, especially in cold/wet conditions).

Thanks.
Keep performance driving on the track, if you are driving in a way where you are losing control of the car and chirping tires, stay off the regular roads.

Depending on where you live, you may get cited for "Exhibition of Speed". In California it's "Vehicle Code 23109(C)" and you put you're from Atlanta, so I'm guessing Georgia so it's "O.C.G.A. §40-6-186".

https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia...2C%20181%20Ga.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 05:15 PM   #8
NSX2M4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 ZCP- RIVIAN R1S QUAD

1) M mode S2, sport, sport, sport DSC inactive
2) Feather throttle off the line and get a 6 foot roll out.
3) Mash the throttle to the floor and shift into 2nd.
      03-28-2023, 06:00 PM   #9
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Jeez…the old “exhibition of speed”. I remember when I got my stick F80 tuned I was chatting with another BMW buddy at a red light. When the light turned green I lit up the tires. Little did I know 3 cars back was a cop. He pulled me over and asked “do you know why I stopped you?” I replied with eyes down and said “yes, for being stupid.” He said “GOOD ANSWER!”. Then he explained that exhibition of speed is called at the officers discretion. I tried to say that I wasn’t even doing 20MPH but he cut me off with “don’t even try that”. Luckily it was during Covid, and my hair was as gray as his, so I got a warning…
      03-28-2023, 06:23 PM   #10
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Jeez…the old “exhibition of speed”. I remember when I got my stick F80 tuned I was chatting with another BMW buddy at a red light. When the light turned green I lit up the tires. Little did I know 3 cars back was a cop. He pulled me over and asked “do you know why I stopped you?” I replied with eyes down and said “yes, for being stupid.” He said “GOOD ANSWER!”. Then he explained that exhibition of speed is called at the officers discretion. I tried to say that I wasn’t even doing 20MPH but he cut me off with “don’t even try that”. Luckily it was during Covid, and my hair was as gray as his, so I got a warning…
Old but still true unfortunately lol.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 09:35 PM   #11
TRman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

An autocross is a great way to quickly become familiar with the performance capabilities of the vehicle and experiment with launching and other car control techniques. Been doing it for years and it’s always a blast. Check to see if any are held local to you.
Appreciate 1
spidy512502.00
      04-04-2023, 08:26 AM   #12
FatHulk
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 zcp, G05 x40i

Just started to try with the nannies off, it's a completely different beast! Much more engaging but the tires will give, as others have said get the temp up, have the right tires and slowly build up control. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0