BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-30-2023, 07:59 PM   #1
AmbientNoise
Bavarian Newbie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i

Question Tunai Firefly Only Playing Static

Hey all, first post on here as a new (to me) BMW owner.

I've checked the previous threads on this forum and I can't seem to find anyone who is having the same issues with their Tunai Firefly LDAC. To preface, I have used the Firefly for a year or two in my previous daily driver, a 2013 Chevy Cruze. Once I had set it up, it worked fine the entire time that I have used it with great sound quality.

I bought my 2012 128i (with the BMW Pro stereo and the under-armrest aux/usb combo) a few weeks ago and have been using an aux cable without any issues. I also was using the USB to charge my phone, which seemed to work just fine. I decided to migrate the Firefly over to the 128i and immediately ran into the current issue.

When I plug in the LDAC, the light inside illuminates and the adapter pairs immediately with my Android phone. I normally set the volume on my phone to 100% and then adjust the stereo to suit, but the only thing I hear is static coming through the speakers. Notably, the static is in sync with the music, so it seems to be transmitting at least some of the audio signal. I read posts here saying you needed to adjust the phone to 50-70% to avoid distortion, so I tried that only to find that the issue was not resolved.

To make sure I wasn't working with a borked adapter, I went back to my Cruze and tried it there. No issues were encountered; it turned on, paired and played music perfectly fine. Went back to the 128 and it still was only transmitting static.

This is kind of frustrating because it's a really good adapter, so I'm not sure why it isn't working as it should. I would think it would be a faulty USB/AUX port or something, but as stated previously they work just fine with their respective cables. Am I missing an important step here?
Appreciate 0