BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

04-28-2023, 12:13 PM   #1
longfellow
Rep
Drives: F82

considering Bootmod3 tune

Hi all,

I have an f82 competition package DCT with 25k miles that I am thinking about tuning with BM3 and have some questions.

1. The package that is currently listed on the BM3 website for $595 - is this a stage “0” engine tune which can then be further tuned to stage 1 and 2? What about the transmission? It lists “GTS/CS transmission flash included” so this transmission tune is separate? Would you always want to do both the engine and transmission tune?
2. Are any mods needed to do stage 0? What about stages 1 and 2? What about for the GTS or CS transmission tune?
3. How much of a risk does tuning pose to the crank hub issue on these vehicles?
4. Is there any way to check and see if I have any sort of tune currently? Bought the car 5 months ago and since it’s the only m4 I’ve driven, don’t know what to compare it to, but I notice that when in Sport +, this cars exhaust is pretty loud.. louder than what “stock” m4s appear to sound like just from videos online. Additonally, the exhaust currently has a good amount of burble as it is to the point where it’s very noticeable so wondering if something has already been done. As far as the exhaust itself, I haven’t trhorougly inspected but it seems stock at least from the tips. Haven’t had the car on a lift.

Any insight is really appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 03:50 PM   #2
dylanwilson
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

1. The package on BM3 for $595 is a stage 1 tune. It'll being your horsepower to over 500hp. The trans flash is included in the $595 and will make your car shift much faster in sport + etc. You don;t have to do both the trans and engine tune at the same time but most ppl do.
2. No mods are needed for stage 0, stage 1, or the gts trans flash. Usually when you get to stage 2 that is when you well want to add mods like new fuel injectors, hpfp's, and bolt ons.
3. I would not say there is any risk for crank hub until you are stage 2 with bolt ons
4. The reason your car is louder in sport + is because all M4 exhausts are valved and the valves open in sport +. Additionally you have the competition model which has additional burbles straight from BMW as part of the comp package. Its very easy to tell if your exhaust is stock or not. 1, the stock muffler is literally the size of a suitcase so if you look under your car and its massive then its definitely stock. As far as midpipes go, you can look under your car from the side by your door and if there are an additional 2 resonators then you also have stock midpipes. Theres also a chance the car could have catless downpipes but that would make the car FAR louder regardless of the drive setting.
Appreciate 3
cotmfk2058.50
jonf49135.50
      04-28-2023, 04:11 PM   #3
longfellow
Rep
Drives: F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanwilson View Post
1. The package on BM3 for $595 is a stage 1 tune. It'll being your horsepower to over 500hp. The trans flash is included in the $595 and will make your car shift much faster in sport + etc. You don;t have to do both the trans and engine tune at the same time but most ppl do.
2. No mods are needed for stage 0, stage 1, or the gts trans flash. Usually when you get to stage 2 that is when you well want to add mods like new fuel injectors, hpfp's, and bolt ons.
3. I would not say there is any risk for crank hub until you are stage 2 with bolt ons
4. The reason your car is louder in sport + is because all M4 exhausts are valved and the valves open in sport +. Additionally you have the competition model which has additional burbles straight from BMW as part of the comp package. Its very easy to tell if your exhaust is stock or not. 1, the stock muffler is literally the size of a suitcase so if you look under your car and its massive then its definitely stock. As far as midpipes go, you can look under your car from the side by your door and if there are an additional 2 resonators then you also have stock midpipes. Theres also a chance the car could have catless downpipes but that would make the car FAR louder regardless of the drive setting.
This is great, thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2023, 04:16 PM   #4
kfresh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F83 ZCP & G05 X5

Quote:
1. The package includes ALL tunes (CS, GTS, CS+, Stage1, Stage2). The GTS DCT tune is separate but is included in the package, it is highly recommend

2. Im running stage 1 stock with no issues, stage 2 you'll want downpipes

3. There is ALWAYS a risk primarily to your crankhub when you increase power. Crankhub can spin even on stock but you increase the chances when you're pulling more power. Try to avoid downshifting aggresively.

4. Valves are open in sport+ so you get louder exhaust. As for checking if there is a tune, the only way im aware of is by opening your sports display (the display that shows HP/TQ). If max HP shows anything above 480? (I think) then there is a tune, if max is 480? then most likely its stock. On my Stg1, my max HP now shows 560

2022 G05 X5 sDrive 40i Carbon Black ///M Sports Package
Appreciate 3
CSBM52756.00
jonf49135.50
      04-28-2023, 07:53 PM   #5
snakes1021
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 CS/ 440I gran coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by longfellow View Post
Hi all,

I have an f82 competition package DCT with 25k miles that I am thinking about tuning with BM3 and have some questions.

1. The package that is currently listed on the BM3 website for $595 - is this a stage “0” engine tune which can then be further tuned to stage 1 and 2? What about the transmission? It lists “GTS/CS transmission flash included” so this transmission tune is separate? Would you always want to do both the engine and transmission tune?
2. Are any mods needed to do stage 0? What about stages 1 and 2? What about for the GTS or CS transmission tune?
3. How much of a risk does tuning pose to the crank hub issue on these vehicles?
4. Is there any way to check and see if I have any sort of tune currently? Bought the car 5 months ago and since it’s the only m4 I’ve driven, don’t know what to compare it to, but I notice that when in Sport +, this cars exhaust is pretty loud.. louder than what “stock” m4s appear to sound like just from videos online. Additonally, the exhaust currently has a good amount of burble as it is to the point where it’s very noticeable so wondering if something has already been done. As far as the exhaust itself, I haven’t trhorougly inspected but it seems stock at least from the tips. Haven’t had the car on a lift.

Any insight is really appreciated!
- as stated above you get one OTS map of your choice S1,S2, GTS, I think OP was asking if the transmission tune is a sperate cost. the answer is no it is included in the price.

- no mods are really necessary. For S2 they recommend downpipe. my understanding is that is only because people were turning the burble up and frying O2 sensors. so not necessary if your not being crazy with your burbles.

- as far as crank hub it really depends cars have stock cars and spun them and heavily modded cars have not, so its hit or miss. I believe the general consensus is when you get around the 600HP+ point crank hub is a must.

- a lot of people opted for M performance exhaust so you may have that. it will say it on the muffler if so. You dont need a lift for that just look under the bumper/diffuser

- an easy way to tell if its tuned I think is to turn on sport displays and see if it peaks significantly higher that what it would stock. not saying that is a super accurate way to measure HP just a simple something to look at.

burbles are pretty decent on the comp in sport/+ modes IMO so had to tell.

The important thing to factor in is warranty issues. Any tune is going to void any coverage on the powertrain for sure.

I just picked up the BM3 wifi adapter its way better than Enet cable IMO and also works with other things like bimmercode/link to unlock other neat/cool/useful features.

Im running the S2 93 tune on stock cats with OTS burbles I have no issues there are several other members how are and have done the same. I do intend to get some HF cats rather than DPs just to mitigate the smell a little.

turning the boost up you will want to make your your charge pipes are good and tight. and maybe replace them at some point. The cold side j pip is known to pop off under higher than stock boost pressures.

I didnt do the transmission tune my car is a CS so I didnt see the point.

also its worth nothing you go get a transferred license fro BM3 and same some $$ . people sell them all the time anywhere form $350~400 FWIW my power meter peaks at just under 560hp so im assuming right around 500WHP havent put it on a dyno yet so take that with a grain of salt.

Last edited by snakes1021; 04-28-2023 at 08:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
CSBM52756.00
      04-29-2023, 09:18 AM   #6
headstart101
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG M4

Go straight to BM3 Stage 2 and and turn burbles off, you will thank me later. As stated before, you get one map for $595 and it’s additional $100 for all the BM3 OTS maps.

My car is stock with the exception of BM3, NKG spark plugs and a CBC. I’ve ran Stage 1, Stage 2 and E30 maps with no issues on the stock exhaust. soon I’ll be on a Pure Stage 2 turbo. Hoping to hit 630 WHP on E50 with just a CBC.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2023, 01:44 PM   #7
banana
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 (Tuned)

I was gonna go between MHD or BM3 but Gintani just opened up Gintani NY which is pretty close to me so i had Gintani do their custom F8x tune and HOOOOOOLY!!!! What a difference!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 06:15 PM   #8
540fan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82, BMW 540iT E39

Quote:
I have the BM3 stage 2 tune for aftermarket exhaust and stock DPs/Cats.

I love it. On Stage 1 my car dyno’ d at 503 WHP so maybe 15 to 20 more for the Stage 2 tune. I have Project Gamma Charge pipes etc…, CSF HE and IC, and Carbahn Crank Hub.

I would not recommend BM3’s transmission tune as its software is out of date and I had issues trying to load it and not get drivetrain malfunctions. I had the guy from Germany who remote codes things on these cars update the transmission software and love it. I can look him up and provide info if you want it. The cost was around $175 for the transmission tune.

In my case, I stayed with the cable to OBDII connection using an iPad to update the car. I have bad cell service where I’m at so the Wi-Fi adapter wasn’t stable enough for my location because of my weak cell signal. Not BM3’s issue, mine based on location.

Vader loves his tunes!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 02:55 AM   #9
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Most issues with these cars are tuned and modified. At least that’s what I gather from these forums. These cars are fast as hell stock. They can’t stick the traction as it is. That’s why I don’t tune and modify. Just my own personal input and preference.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 08:21 AM   #10
540fan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82, BMW 540iT E39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
Most issues with these cars are tuned and modified. At least that’s what I gather from these forums. These cars are fast as hell stock. They can’t stick the traction as it is. That’s why I don’t tune and modify. Just my own personal input and preference.
Issues happen when mods and tuning are done when one just picks one thing. Such as a software tune only to get more HP. There needs to be balance, you turn up the power, you have to make changes to the induction, and exhaust. Then you need to look at brakes, suspension, alignment, tires, and on and on. Most aren’t going to have a 25k budget to do the car. Some will say 5K gets it done etc… and the debate goes on.

I just finished installing the MPerformance coilover conversion so I can keep stock EDC and with a good alignment, I have aggressive camber that’s great for tracking, but will eat tires faster on the street. Trade offs for sure. In my case it’s time for camber plates etc…

Stock is great and my E39 540iT wagon is stock except for the STI coilovers and I love and it’s all it needs.

If we all were smart, we’d leave them stock and enjoy. But, these forums are full of enthusiasts so we make changes and find different ways to make the car do what we want and that makes it fun.

The track M4 I drove in Germany in June at the Nurburgring was amazing but would have been a shitbox on the street as a DD even with the cool suspension, brakes, differential, and other goody mods. Felt like a 70s 4wd Chevy truck on the street and that’s on German roads! On the track amazing. It’s all balance.

Enjoy the stock setup but if you do one thing, go to braided brake lines and upgrade you pads. It may save you and your passengers or someone else.
Appreciate 0