BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

05-11-2023, 12:11 PM   #1
importraceram
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Sudden CEL Help Needed

Hi all,

As I was driving along today, at highway speeds, I suddenly got hit with a CEL and the redline rapidly reduced to 4k. The car felt like it was in neutral with next to no power. Luckily I was able to pull off safely. I turned the vehicle off and gave it a few minutes. Eager to get out of the break down lane and off of the highway, I turned the vehicle back on and exited the highway. Everything seemed normal exiting the highway. At this point I am roughly 35 minutes away from home, coincidently headed up north to drive one of NH's best roads (the Kanc) on my day off from work. I took backroads on the way home and was able to replicate this CEL a handful more times (I would say roughly every 5'ish miles). Every time I turned the vehicle back off then on it operated normally for a short period of time.

Coincidently I just bought a Carly and used it this AM to read and erase two other lingering codes (P0441, P0442 both related to evaporation emission control system). I don't think those codes are anything major (upon initial research... who knows) however I am convinced this abrupt CEL with limp mode is something more major $$ (TA's??). Anywho, I tried to scan the car during one of the episodes and Carly said zero confirmed trouble codes DTC:0 which is obviously inaccurate. Why would it have read the codes this AM just fine and now doesn't appear to be working? Is anyone familiar with Carly, do I need to sign up for the yearly membership to get continued OBD II functions? This is likely just funky timing but it's weird that I used the Carly for the first time this AM now this happens...

The previous owner replaced the TA's but I am not entirely sure at what mileage that was done (maybe he will chime in ). I have owned this car for two years (109k-126k miles) and, overall, it has been dead reliable up until this point a true testament to the previous owner's mechanical care for the vehicle. I would venture to say that in the 24 months of ownership the car has been on par with a Toyota Camry from a operational cost standpoint. The question is NOW does the 15 year old 126k mile M tax slap me in the face after my 24 month honeymoon

Not that I want to keep driving this if it's ill but I would like to replicate the code again (shouldn't be difficult) and scan it using my Carly (need to also figure out why that isn't working).

Hard to say with no official codes read but, based on what I am describing, is this likely to be a TA issue? Does that make sense though as the previous owner addressed them? He owned the car from 30k (I believe) to 109k miles so, again, not sure exactly when they were done...

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 12:21 PM   #2
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2017 Audi S6  [0.00]
1997 BMW 328i Touring  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Statistically most likely TA but without codes it’s impossible to say. Carly sucks. Try reinstalling the app and running it again.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 01:14 PM   #3
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

This is my old car. 1 of the TA was new and 1 was rebuilt (what is now Euro Parts Place — at the time the source was from the very reputable UK rebuilder). I think I put these in around 2017. But these cars can have other issues so scanning with a good tool that can do shadow codes is needed. Would be happy to scan if Adam can get the car to my house.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 07:36 PM   #4
importraceram
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
This is my old car. 1 of the TA was new and 1 was rebuilt (what is now Euro Parts Place — at the time the source was from the very reputable UK rebuilder). I think I put these in around 2017. But these cars can have other issues so scanning with a good tool that can do shadow codes is needed. Would be happy to scan if Adam can get the car to my house.
I appreciate it! Other than this (hopefully) little episode this car has been absolutely rock solid and a joy to drive.

I am hopeful that my Carly will be able to read the codes but I am not sure. It might just be user error on my part.
Appreciate 0