Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-31-2023, 11:15 PM   #1
1heckinboi
caffeine fiend
Rep
Drives: M4

Future owner - questions

Hey all,

In the next coming months I am planning on hopefully picking up either an M3 or M4 and was curious about a few things. I am new to BMW and this will also be my first German car so I'd like to get some expectations and insight.

All of my cars have been Japanese, a Subaru WRX, a Honda Civic Type R, Lexus GS350, Mitsubishi Lancer. Except currently I am driving a C6 Corvette that I am selling this weekend.

Personally I would like to get the M3 over the M4 but with popularity and supply I am actually finding the M4 to be a little cheaper and more readily available, i don't think in the end i would be displeased if I had to get the M4, but coming from the Corvette I learned I really hate having the longer door, and just on the Corvette it is a pain to get in and out of.

Is there anything I need to look for in these cars?
Appreciate 1
cotmfk2058.50
      06-01-2023, 07:46 AM   #2
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I like the lines of the 4 door better...but I am biased. Also more fun when you are passing guys on the track and your car seats are still buckled in the back.
Appreciate 6
Kilabyte3949.00
spidy512502.00
agentrnge383.50
Llarry16561.50
      06-01-2023, 09:30 AM   #3
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Best of luck with your search. Do you already have one picked out?

The M3 is more expensive than M4, as you noted. It's twofold: (1) more M4s were made than M3 (more years of production, plus I think more were M4 per year); and (2) having four doors makes the car more usable to more people.

I had M4 before and M3 now. They (obviously) drive very similarly, but there are some subtle differences in the way it feels.

If you can, I would recommend a PPI just to make sure everything is good to go with the car before you buy. Obviously not that common, but there are some cars out there with major issues that the seller is trying to hide.
      06-01-2023, 10:08 AM   #4
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1heckinboi View Post
Hey all,

In the next coming months I am planning on hopefully picking up either an M3 or M4 and was curious about a few things. I am new to BMW and this will also be my first German car so I'd like to get some expectations and insight.

All of my cars have been Japanese, a Subaru WRX, a Honda Civic Type R, Lexus GS350, Mitsubishi Lancer. Except currently I am driving a C6 Corvette that I am selling this weekend.

Personally I would like to get the M3 over the M4 but with popularity and supply I am actually finding the M4 to be a little cheaper and more readily available, i don't think in the end i would be displeased if I had to get the M4, but coming from the Corvette I learned I really hate having the longer door, and just on the Corvette it is a pain to get in and out of.

I'm biased toward the coupe because it's less of a family car and I don't use the rear seat except for cargo, but you can't go wrong with either. Yes, the doors are long on the M4. I purchased mine new in 2014, so it will be nine years old next month and it's been extremely reliable. Never had an issue with starting (still original battery) or pretty much anything else. Will be selling mine soon to be replaced with the new M2.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 3
      06-01-2023, 06:16 PM   #5
Apexeon
Private
Rep
Drives: E46M/E90M/F83M

Quote:
Hey all,

I'm not sure the M4 doors are quite as long as the corvette's... at least I didn't notice a difference going from my 4 door e92 M3 to my 2 door f83 M4 vert. It's just not a thing.

When I went from the convertible e46 m3 to the e92, I remember being really excited to finally have 4 doors... but given how rarely I had 4 passengers, it just became the lazy man's trunk. I'm not sure i would take the 2 door m4 coupe tho... either 4 doors m3 or a convertible M4, the 2 door coupe just doesn't do as good as the other two.

Agree you should go for a test drive, though I doubt you'll notice real differences between the m3 and coupe m4 not related to weight. The weight is especially noticeable with the convertible, but can be managed mostly with tighter suspension

Things that have failed in my actual experience:
  1. PCV Valve, requires valve cover gasket replacement. $6-900 IRC
  2. Charge Air Cooler, separate cooling system that cools air for your Tubo's to use. $1k-$3k.
  3. Differential bushing, specific to convertibles, ~$1k

You should do a visual on the charge air cooler when you buy the car, it's the reservoir closest to the windshield center. If it's empty, it should be replaced but the car will generally not throw codes for this and the car will drive normally, and then it won't.

You'll probably also hear:
Crank hub, seems to be a thing for aftermarket boosted cars.

And the rest has just been regular, albeit expensive, maintenance (suspension is kind of insane if you get EDC).

While the repairs above have been more expensive than i would like, it's a shorter list than the e9x (and wayyyyyyyyyyyy....yyyyyyy shorter than the e46 that liked to rip itself apart)
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2023, 12:16 AM   #6
1heckinboi
caffeine fiend
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
Best of luck with your search. Do you already have one picked out?

The M3 is more expensive than M4, as you noted. It's twofold: (1) more M4s were made than M3 (more years of production, plus I think more were M4 per year); and (2) having four doors makes the car more usable to more people.

I had M4 before and M3 now. They (obviously) drive very similarly, but there are some subtle differences in the way it feels.

If you can, I would recommend a PPI just to make sure everything is good to go with the car before you buy. Obviously not that common, but there are some cars out there with major issues that the seller is trying to hide.
As far as spec wise go, I'd like to get either black sapphire or yas marina blue, with red interior, DCT, and the Competition package. By the end of the year hopefully the market goes down in price a bit more, Realistically with the budgeting I will be looking at 40k+ miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
I'm biased toward the coupe because it's less of a family car and I don't use the rear seat except for cargo, but you can't go wrong with either. Yes, the doors are long on the M4. I purchased mine new in 2014, so it will be nine years old next month and it's been extremely reliable. Never had an issue with starting (still original battery) or pretty much anything else. Will be selling mine soon to be replaced with the new M2.
Thankfully I do not have more than one passenger at a time. I am the same way with the back seat though, I just toss my extra stuff there so the extra doors would just be a plus. Are you looking at the G87 or F8x?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexeon View Post
I'm not sure the M4 doors are quite as long as the corvette's... at least I didn't notice a difference going from my 4 door e92 M3 to my 2 door f83 M4 vert. It's just not a thing.

When I went from the convertible e46 m3 to the e92, I remember being really excited to finally have 4 doors... but given how rarely I had 4 passengers, it just became the lazy man's trunk. I'm not sure i would take the 2 door m4 coupe tho... either 4 doors m3 or a convertible M4, the 2 door coupe just doesn't do as good as the other two.

Agree you should go for a test drive, though I doubt you'll notice real differences between the m3 and coupe m4 not related to weight. The weight is especially noticeable with the convertible, but can be managed mostly with tighter suspension

Things that have failed in my actual experience:
  1. PCV Valve, requires valve cover gasket replacement. $6-900 IRC
  2. Charge Air Cooler, separate cooling system that cools air for your Tubo's to use. $1k-$3k.
  3. Differential bushing, specific to convertibles, ~$1k

You should do a visual on the charge air cooler when you buy the car, it's the reservoir closest to the windshield center. If it's empty, it should be replaced but the car will generally not throw codes for this and the car will drive normally, and then it won't.

You'll probably also hear:
Crank hub, seems to be a thing for aftermarket boosted cars.

And the rest has just been regular, albeit expensive, maintenance (suspension is kind of insane if you get EDC).

While the repairs above have been more expensive than i would like, it's a shorter list than the e9x (and wayyyyyyyyyyyy....yyyyyyy shorter than the e46 that liked to rip itself apart)
I'll definitely keep an eye out for those things you listed when I finally check one out. I really am partial to the M3 just as i think the side profile looks better than the M4's, besides the fact I also use the backseat to toss stuff in lol

As far as the doors go, I just hated coming back to the vette and finding someone parked a bit too close to me and I would need to squeeze myself in. I have a pretty spacious garage and I still feel like I need to swing the door out fully to even comfortably get out, I'm not an old guy with back issues either aha
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 06:35 AM   #7
darrvao777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F82

i also came over from a civic type r (fk8)

i loved that car but as someone who rarely drives with other people in the car, i would have loved a two door variant with a hatch

so for me, the m4 was my preference

i just prefer the look of the coupe i guess. the coupe and the sedan are roughly the same size but when i’m washing the car it feels a lot easier with the coupe somehow 😂
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 07:38 AM   #8
AlmondJayRoM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:

Just get a good PPI. I bought my 2016 with 20k miles on it. Car was tracked but well maintained so it didn’t bother me. Only failure was idrive and fixed under warranty. Stage 1 BM3 when I got it and now has 72k miles.

Only other work is usual maintenance, namely oil changes, spark plugs, filters, brake fluid changes and brakes. Additionally at 40k I did engine coolant and charge air coolant. 50k I did DCT fluid/filter, and diff fluid. Recently did the serpentine belt, water pump belt, tensioner and pulleys.

Trick is to stay on top of maintenance and do thorough inspections. At every oil change or after every track day, take a close look for fluid leaks, loose/worn suspensions bits and bushings.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 01:50 PM   #9
Apexeon
Private
Rep
Drives: E46M/E90M/F83M

Quote:
As far as spec wise go, I'd like to get either black sapphire or yas marina blue, with red interior, DCT, and the Competition package. By the end of the year hopefully the market goes down in price a bit more, Realistically with the budgeting I will be looking at 40k+ miles

Thankfully I do not have more than one passenger at a time. I am the same way with the back seat though, I just toss my extra stuff there so the extra doors would just be a plus. Are you looking at the G87 or F8x?

I'll definitely keep an eye out for those things you listed when I finally check one out. I really am partial to the M3 just as i think the side profile looks better than the M4's, besides the fact I also use the backseat to toss stuff in lol

As far as the doors go, I just hated coming back to the vette and finding someone parked a bit too close to me and I would need to squeeze myself in. I have a pretty spacious garage and I still feel like I need to swing the door out fully to even comfortably get out, I'm not an old guy with back issues either aha
You know, thinking about it this way (noticing someone parked a bit too close to comfortably open the door), I understand exactly what you mean. Especially when you have to basically hold the door to get in or out because it won't hold position... But I do enjoy passengers trying to get their entire body in the door frame at the same time rather than leg first etc...

But if you get a convertible you can fantasize about never opening the door to get in or out... regardless of how close people park #logic

Joking aside, would be curious to hear your impressions after test drives
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2023, 03:49 AM   #10
1heckinboi
caffeine fiend
Rep

Managed to get an M4 a lot sooner than expected, one had came up with the specs I wanted except in Alpine White. Looking at it though it really suits the car and the carbon fiber sits perfect with it
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
      07-19-2023, 05:05 PM   #11
b_w.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Appreciate 1
      07-19-2023, 08:34 PM   #12
TRman
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Congrats on the M4. Beautiful.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2023, 08:46 PM   #13
F80RN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80 m3/2016 x3

I don’t have a spreadsheet handy with my maintenance costs so far, but I intend to keep this car as long as possible.

Every 4-5k miles I change the oil since I don’t drive my car hard or heavily (maybe 150 miles a week). I’ll probably will decrease that interval to 3k

Annually I just change out plugs just because.

2018 had the IKONS.

Full screenCarPlay can be coded in down the line, so don’t let that deter you.

I have a sedan just cause I like the wider flares hips on the sedan (M3/4 can fit the same wheels, I just like the appearance of the flares hips)

It may be a German car, but same rules still apply: get a PPI and/or ask for complete service records.

I’m not mechanical, but surprisingly it isn’t much harder to DIY basic maintenance on this car. I found that all shrouds and whatnot come off and reinstall much easier Compared to my previous cars (G35, WRX)

If you’re a DIY guy as well, get your maintenance products through FCP Euro and take advantage of their lifetime replacements.

I also learned I thoroughly *LOVE* the DCT. I’ve never driven a DCT or SMG before, let alone an M3. This car was my foray into both and I have not been disappointed.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2023, 10:27 PM   #14
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I've had three F82 cars now along with an F80. I really liked the F80 hips, but that was it. For me the F82 is a slightly better looking car all around (especially from the rear which is FAR superior to the F80 rear imho), and it's MUCH easier to get into if you're a big guy like me. I was constantly smashing into the door frame when entering/exiting the F80. Yes the doors are much larger on the M4 of course, so you need to be more careful upon exit when parking close to cars (especially if you own a CS, better learn to hold on to those door straps!).

I also noticed the wind noise with the windows down is much worse in the F80, you get a buffeting of wind at speed in the F80 unlike in the F82. It's very obvious when you've owned both cars, and if you like windows down driving it sucks quite honestly in the F80, especially at highway speeds.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2023, 11:07 PM   #15
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Congrats!

Even though the F80 is a faster and better looking... especially Mineral Wiess... its the hips...

Seriously, great looking ride. My Dad had an 18 Comp and it was an awesome ride. It was for the most part a twin of yours, but carbon structuure interior.

Have fun!

josh
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2023, 11:09 PM   #16
rgchan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 M4

Garage List
2015 M4 F83  [0.00]
things in earlier models:

battery health - sounds silly but they’re Lithium and £££

valvetronic and eccentric shaft - clicking noise on startup/unlock or lock/poweroff.
water in the doors on coupes from blocked drain plugs (check rear windows drop at same speed for regulator health - check when you press window down or up once its automatic meaning limit switches are working, and check for no water under the boot floor on the left near the amplifier.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2023, 02:01 AM   #17
snakes1021
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 CS/ 440I gran coupe

Congrats, Im a fairly new Alipne/F82/CS owner as well. Seems everyone likes the "hips" on the F80s better I personally thins the coupes look better overall.

Nicky mentioned the door straps, not an issue for you, but took me about 3 times to get use to it. the doors are a little on the long side.

Enjoy the ride and be ready for the goofballs that want to race you evertime you stop at a light.
Appreciate 2
NickyC17648.00